The positive side of lockdown....

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Feel free to add your own positives.....

1. No tourists causing chaos on the roads - including not driving on the wrong side of the road
2. No wild campers defecating in the bushes or emptying cassette toilets into the sea from the jetty.
3. Car tires and brakes lasting longer
4. Not filling up the tank so often

Reactions: Mel

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
For us, the "positives" list needs to be leagues longer than that to compensate for being robbed now of a year of our "life", with a return to normal still being somewhere into the future.

Reactions: Johnb and Brasso530
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
From lockdown 1 I’ve completed some major tasks at home and reaquired the art of reading. Spent more time with our granddaughter and daughter too although generally out in the garden. Spending more time with my wife has been a decided advantage. We talk more.
Whilst it would not have been my first choice as to how to spend a year, I think the concentration of news and media on Covid and Brexit has ignored the problems of those who live in countries that are not as fortunate as us. So overall no complaints, we just get on with our lives looking to the future.

Reactions: Mel

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Good thread. Wouldn't choose to be in this situation, but we are where we are.
Positives:

Cleared out lots of cupboards.
Walked a lot more.
Gardened.
Haven‘t felt guilty about sitting down to read or knit.
Reduced our consumerism.
Thought carefully about what is and isn’t important.
Felt hugely proud of British scientific ingenuity.
Been moved by the efforts of community spirited and selfless individuals.

mel

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Looked after our aging parents better than we might if at work,
Supported our local shop instead of always going to a supermarket
Experimented with menus and been more adventurous with cooking
Brewed my own beer-with success tbh
Baked a lot of bread inc sour dough quite successfully
Enjoyed being with the lovely dog a lot more
Enjoyed more music listening,
Cleaned the cars more often-my passion
Cleaned the neighbours cars occasionally too

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
So the glass is not just half empty but maybe we have varying sizes.

Cammy.... What sort of veg? I don't think you can beat home grown veggies.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Decorated whole house.
Fitted wardrobes.
Fitted new shower cubicle.
Seen a massive drop in global pollution
Learnt to zoom, video message, facetime and teams. (But don't much like them for more than 3 groups).

But, though I try to look at the positives. Miss seeing the family. Particularly new 3rd great granddaughter born just today.

0aa3aade-51a7-4fc7-b312-e6c3d1a84581 (Edited).JPG

John

Feb 6, 2021
Visit site
positive- I’ve had a little taste of what retirement is 😁🤣 longest stint I’ve been off in 35 years of working.
negatives I’ve got another 16 years still before I can retire in reality. 😭 would have been 14 if I’d been born 8 days earlier 😡😭

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The positive side is , Mrs H, could have gone back 40 years, she let me off the first 5. Still love her though.

Feb 6, 2021
Visit site
Actually another positive is that I’ve got to watch much more cricket than normal. especially now the tour of India is on channel 4 record it and watch from start when I get up. Lol

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
A positive for me I am watching more Ski Jumping every Saturday and Sunday on Eurosport 2

Attachments

• R15178b0d3407f099d445c741214c53bc.jpg
    R15178b0d3407f099d445c741214c53bc.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 0
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Positives
Keeping to isolation rules and not know anyone effected by this cruel virus
Making plans for the future so maintaining a good outlook
Enjoy time just with each other and dogs Sadie & Sammy
Hopeful that leg ulcers continue to improve and bed rest ends
Close members of family are helping when needed but try to keep our independence

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
So the glass is not just half empty but maybe we have varying sizes.

Cammy.... What sort of veg? I don't think you can beat home grown veggies.
Sam, I managed a crop of early and late tatties, some of the lates we are still using having stored them over winter, onions same although they were from sets and will try onions from seed this year.
Peas, beetroot, radishes and courgettes all went well but broad beans a poor crop and butternut squash were just thinking of flowering when it got frosted. Tomatoes didn't ripen so well either but we ripened them on the windowsill so had a few.
Want to try more root veg and brassica's this year would like to have my home grown veg at christmas next year.
My challenge was it was virgin ground when I started on lockdown so I was stripping turf to get started, not the best but got some produce in.

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Positives
Keeping to isolation rules and not know anyone effected by this cruel virus
Making plans for the future so maintaining a good outlook
Enjoy time just with each other and dogs Sadie & Sammy
Hopeful that leg ulcers continue to improve and bed rest ends
Close members of family are helping when needed but try to keep our independence
I hope the legs clear up soon BB.

Reactions: Beachball
Jun 23, 2020
Visit site
AQv6MF7.jpg

freedom to park any where you want at the services at the weekends. Services still busy ish Monday to Friday but the weekends they are dead

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Me and my motor cycle mates from the Toddinton and District Motorcycle club, . We have been together since the late 1960s. We had a Bonnie Baby competision last week.
Photo taken at the Red Lion, Dagnal, Bedfordshire.

View attachment 1162
Nice bike to the right. What is it and whose is it? Lovely photo. Something to look forward to soon.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Feel free to add your own positives.....

1. No tourists causing chaos on the roads - including not driving on the wrong side of the road
2. No wild campers defecating in the bushes or emptying cassette toilets into the sea from the jetty.
3. Car tires and brakes lasting longer
4. Not filling up the tank so often
So why fuel prices going up?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Sam, I managed a crop of early and late tatties, some of the lates we are still using having stored them over winter, onions same although they were from sets and will try onions from seed this year.
Peas, beetroot, radishes and courgettes all went well but broad beans a poor crop and butternut squash were just thinking of flowering when it got frosted. Tomatoes didn't ripen so well either but we ripened them on the windowsill so had a few.
Want to try more root veg and brassica's this year would like to have my home grown veg at christmas next year.
My challenge was it was virgin ground when I started on lockdown so I was stripping turf to get started, not the best but got some produce in.

That's a good range of crops. Not sure where you're located but we're in the Highlands and its best to grow things in a polytunnel but even so we have never been successful with tomatoes. Runner beans are variable but 2020 was good. Our small plum tree went beserk and we had to tie up the branches. some of which actually snapped off.

I know all about stripping back turf - although its really old croft land. Spent many weeks doing this for a new shrub border. Mostly on peat and needing to be broken up by hand.

Enjoy your produce.

Reactions: Cammy
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
So in December we thought we would change carpets in all rooms, First decorated two bedrooms and Lounge. Got three carpet firms in for quotes, could not find any colours we want but anyway started to empty furniture of contents so guys could move them. Put contents in cardboard boxes and put them in garage February 5th decided to wait until lockdown finish so can look in stores for carpet colours, Boxes in garage have now absorb damp so collapsing in places , now had to bring them all back to conservatory and cannot move in there now. I know what will happen soon the wife will want something from the boxes, oh well its something to do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts