The price of touring in France

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
As it seems to be getting dearer and dearer to tour in this country we have decided to try touring in france next year BUT on reading some treads on this site it seems to be just as expensive over there could anyone give us some indication of prices for like larger and wine, eating out and in for 5 people, diesel and camp site fees and anything else we would use or consume whilst there.

When do the ferry prices for next year come out and when can i book it.

And would you book your camp sites now and ferry later or wouuld you book the ferry first and camp site when the ferry is confermed.

Could anyone please advise me on the things above as we have almost agrred on the sites we want to goto

G

Like everything else in this world, it is relative. If you go to France for say 2-3 months then the cost of the ferry becomes less significant. In 2 weeks it is high. If you like to eat out every day then your costs will be high. If you want the beachside pitch in high July then be prepared to pay the highest fees.

However, if you are prepared to take a less topical approach then costs can be much cheaper than the UK. I have found on average that i spend about 80 euros per day. That covers fuel, sites, tolls and all food and entertainment, for 2 people. And no, I don't eat out every day as I find the food is not usally that good and I like to BBQ. Sites in France will average 20 euros per day. Some higher, some cheaper. Pre booking is expensive but does guarantee the pitch, although it may be disappointing what you actually get. Sometimes pot luck gets better.

However the bottom line is if you compare France with say, the West Country you will find what you spend in euros in France is equivalent to what you will spend in pounds here, so 40% cheaper. No doubt.

G

Tend to question what food you define as dear? Meat is similar, fish is similar, fruit and veg are cheaper as you state. Possibly beans with a '57' on them are probably dearer but didn't buy them. Of course wine, spirits and beer are cheaper so what else do you want?? We took our own cornflakes and marmalade because yes, these are dear. As for meals out you could get a 3 course lunch for 10 euros, or as high as you liked. depends on what you want, a bit like here I think. Again, we spent in euros what we spend in pounds here, so a significant saving

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sl I can only speak as I found in Britany which relys on the tourist industry as there is very little major industry in the area - a bit like Cornwall. We shopped in Carfour, Geant and Champion and found them all dearer for normal day to day groceries than the UK. Our grandchildren wanted toast for breakfast and their sliced bread for toasting is b****y horrible.

G

I accept that having grandchildren could make things a little more expensive. Soft drinks are very expensive anywhere. As we are only 2 (sounds pompous doesn't it?) we find that the cost of food is not that great regardless of where you shop. We average

G

I accept that having grandchildren could make things a little more expensive. Soft drinks are very expensive anywhere. As we are only 2 (sounds pompous doesn't it?) we find that the cost of food is not that great regardless of where you shop. We average

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Colin " and their sliced bread for toasting is b****y horrible ".

Different is a word I would choose.

The weather tends to be better, which I think when all said and done is why people go to France, not because it may be cheaper !!

If you could guarntee the weather Pembrokeshire would be better than Brittany, No Ferry, No Insurance, No Hassle.

It does come down to a fortnight is expensive, 3 months in Spain with the van is much cheaper than buying an apartment.

Val & Frank

May 12, 2006
Visit site
One other point on this topic.

We tend to lend our son and his wife + grand daughter our van for a couple of weeks in the summer. So that also works out a little cheaper if some of the costs are shared. If you are using a cheap flight you can pick them up at the airport, they can then drop you off etc. You are then travelling without baggage which removes quite a lot of hassle !!!!!

Val & Frank

Dec 15, 2005
Visit site
I think the biggest expense is the ferry, which is why more & more people are choosing to store a caravan over here. It's still possible to get good deals on ferries though, it just takes a bit of shopping around. Site fees over here are reasonable (IMHO) compared to some of the sites we've visited in the UK. People come here for different reasons; culture, food, wine, history, beaches etc. and for many, it's a price worth paying compared to 2 weeks long-haul and a hotel along with all the associated hassles at airports, transfers etc.

We've decided that we're not going to use Stansted again due to the inordinate amount of hassle there with security. I appreciate the need for it, but when compared to other airports in the UK and here in France, they're way OTT. It takes the 'pleasure' out of traveling for me.

As regards the horrible toasting bread, if you look, you'll find many brands over here that are great for toast. 'Toastiligne' is one we use and there are others.

Food needn't be an expensive item over here, salads are cheap, as are the 'Offres Speciale' on BBQ meats and the like. It's all a case of knowing where to go. Use the Lidl's and Netto's instead of Carrefour or Auchan (although we see bargains in Auchan all the time). Fish is cheap over here as are the packaged hams. The baguettes are cheap too. If you're looking for a snack, then buy the pre-made blister pack sarnies for just over a euro - way cheaper than the equivalent in a UK service station!

Dec 15, 2005
Visit site
Just as an aside, I'm constantly amazed by those that say it's getting more & more expensive to tour in France. There aren't many places where it'll cost in the region of

G

I agree with Stuart. The UK is possibly one of the most expensive countries certainly in Europe in which to take a vacation. Everything, and I mean everything is charged and the 'rule makers' have a field day in ensuring that you do not do anything that may be construed as independence. So it is not just the cost that puts me off the UK, it is all the other niggles that are imposed from CC wardens etc down.

For example, France is still one of those places where you can take a pastry or sandwich purchased elesewhere, out of your bag and eat it at a restuarant table. As long as you have bought a coffee nobody cares. Just try that in the UK. Not that I have actually done it, but have seen it done by the French on numreous occasions, and nobody bats an eye. It is also still a place where if a child falls of a playswing, the parent picks him/her up, dusts them down and tells them to get back on. Here the lawyers would be in like a shot as soon as anxious parents have complained about their poor darlings being hurt by the unsafe equipment.

So the costs are high here, and the attitude is most unwelcoming. And that is apart from the weather which is something else. Me? I head for Europe as quickly as I can.

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
I would book your ferries first, then sites, once you know your travel dates, as there are often special offers at certain times. For example, caravans go free on P&O sailings from Hull on Saturdays and Sundays.

In my experience, the only thing that's actually cheaper to buy in France is diesel and alcoholic drinks - at the supermarket, not in a restaurant. Most other food is better quality for the same price as the UK.

But, you'll often find towns and villages with free parking, which is great - and on our return trip this year, we found a lovely municipal campsite in a village near Rouen offering a full service pitch for

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your comments and advice the reason we have decided to goto france is because we felt it would be roughly the same price as touring in the u.k. and as ive only cut through france on the way back to camp(army) in paderborn in germany i thought we should have a stay there.

We are looking to stay around Paris for a couple of days to goto disney and then the loire valley for the rest of the fortnight notto far on our first visit.

The advice so far is to book the sites after i have book the ferry but can anyone now tell me when the best time to book the ferry is and when the prices for next year will be published.

And there names of any sites good for 2 adults and 3 teenages.

Thanks again,

Andy

G

If you are planning on going to Paris etc then be prepared for higher costs, just as bad as you would expect in London. In addition, as you have 3 teenagers then I am sure you are prepared for a lot of costs??? Many of us older fogeys only have 2 adults to worry about, and the costs reduce unbelievably once the kids 'fly the nest'. Also slightly curious teenagers wanting to go to Dysneyland, or is this the wish of the 'older kid'??? I am usually first in line for these things as I am in third childhood according to my wife.

I am sure you will enjoy France, be patient with them tho', they have a French way of doing things and it can be quirky, but often fun.

TRENDING THREADS