The West Country Invasion has commenced!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Driving down the M5. Early today from Birmingham to Cirencester I observed:

1. A very high volume of touring caravans.

2 Significantly towed by Kia Sorentos and JLR Disco Sports

3. The caravan in 2 above were immaculate, well towed and looked good.

4. The remainder had various tugs, plenty of SUVs but some very , on the face of it , mismatched. That’s just a visual impression not technical.

5. A lot of those in 4 above were filthy, like just taken out of long term storage.

6. Thus just on my 60 mile journey it was no surprise three that I saw were broken down with a flat tyre awaiting the breakdown services.

Maybe those who have recently taken up caravanning should be encouraged to read both PCv mag and forum plus those from the two clubs.

There again perhaps we are just too fussy and sensible🤪🤪🤪🤪

Reactions: Mel
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A couple of days ago, Devon & Cornwall Police announced that the South-West was already full - leading to an increase in fly-camping - my concern is that this abuse of the countryside will lead to permanent restrictions on our hobby.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

4. The remainder had various tugs, plenty of SUVs but some very , on the face of it , mismatched. That’s just a visual impression not technical.

5. A lot of those in 4 above were filthy, like just taken out of long term storage.

6. Thus just on my 60 mile journey it was no surprise three that I saw were broken down with a flat tyre awaiting the breakdown services.

Maybe those who have recently taken up caravanning should be encouraged to read both PCv mag and forum plus those from the two clubs.

There again perhaps we are just too fussy and sensible🤪🤪🤪🤪

Dusty, no, you are just sensible. We are packing up to go away for six days and washed the van yesterday, tyre pressure checked, wheels torqued and systems okay.. I have just updated my loading spreadsheet which I do for every trip as it is customised to time of year, destination and duration. But it also reminds me that even with a good payload allowance how quickly it can get used up. Am I an "anorak" too.?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A couple of days ago, Devon & Cornwall Police announced that the South-West was already full - leading to an increase in fly-camping - my concern is that this abuse of the countryside will lead to permanent restrictions on our hobby.

I think there may well be changes to the hobby especially if this bug is still affecting things into next summer. Sites may be busier and hence ramp up prices a la airlines etc. But popular areas will be busier too. Three years ago we took our grandaughter to north Devon during the summer holidays. Never again. Our own kids we would take out of school and holiday in June in UK or France. My father always holidayed in June, and even left me to do my GCE O levels on my own.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Driving along the A380 towards Exeter on Thursday, the traffic was building on the opposite carriageway due to a accident involving a Volvo with a roof box and towing a twin wheel older style Swift, the caravan was severely damaged on the near side, how did I see it?? The complete outfit was still connected in the inside lane facing the opposite direction towards Exeter.
It was still there an hour later when I passed it on my return. and yes the near side was in tatters, only the police there at this time, hope no one was injured but someones day ended tragically.
Stay safe folks.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We travelled from Milton Keynes to Royal Leminton spa, and noticed the same, old caravans being pulled by cars at 70 mph wobbling past HGV s
Very scary. .

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

I towed our caravan down the M5 yesterday morning on our way to Weymouth.
Our caravan was one of the clean ones, towed by a Sorento, serviced during our 'close season' and running with correct tyre pressures and all systems checked during the past week on our drive. 😇
The site here at East Fleet is over three quarters full, with loads of children all on holiday.
We normally steer clear of going away during school holidays, but after six months lockdown we deserve a socially distanced break.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Seems like the whole world and his dog have taken up caravanning. Local dealer’s forecourt is all but empty. Wonder how many of these will be back on the market in the near future, how many will be scrapped/dumped or wind up on their sides on the motorway.
Apart from a long term booking next week to celebrate our anniversary and give beloved a change of scenery while she endures chemotherapy our Swift is staying put.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
....welcome to Weymouth Steve.

Been here nearly a week and the 30 deg sunny days have turned into a wet Sunday as you will know!
We are about a mile from you at Coldharbour on a lovely 5 van Cl!
Been on a 3 site trip first to Cheshire then Oxfordshire and now Weymouth. ...all on small sites where it is easy to social distance.

Reactions: Hutch and Parksy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our caravan was one of the clean ones, towed by a Sorento, serviced during our 'close season' and running with correct tyre pressures and all systems checked during the past week on our drive. 😇
The site here at East Fleet is over three quarters full, with loads of children all on holiday.
We normally steer clear of going away during school holidays, but after six months lockdown we deserve a socially distanced break.
I hope you get a well deserved break .
Take care, and keep safe ,

Reactions: Parksy
Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Driving along the A380 towards Exeter on Thursday, the traffic was building on the opposite carriageway due to a accident involving a Volvo with a roof box and towing a twin wheel older style Swift, the caravan was severely damaged on the near side, how did I see it?? The complete outfit was still connected in the inside lane facing the opposite direction towards Exeter.
It was still there an hour later when I passed it on my return. and yes the near side was in tatters, only the police there at this time, hope no one was injured but someones day ended tragically.
Stay safe folks.

Yeah, we went past the same accident during one of our trips, as we too have just returned from a week in Cornwall, followed by a week in Devon.

I was wondering how the caravan had sustained so much damage to one side, thinking at first that it must have rolled over, but then the car seemed to be undamaged. Then I noticed the damage to the trees and the thick branches lying on the ground.

Tha Volvo was an XC90 (older shape) if I’m not mistaken. It always makes me pause for thought when I see what would generally be considered a sensible choice of tow car involved in such an accident, and can only assume very poor loading, or a sudden erratic movement, which could of course have been a reaction to another drivers poor judgement. Speculation as always ...

At the start of our journey home yesterday, on the A379 between Starcross and Kenton, I was quite aware of how close the near side of the van needed to be to the trees and hedges in order for me to avoid the opposite side hanging over the white lines, especially on some of the twisties. I was quite relieved to see that there were no scuffs on the near side windows or the side panel when we eventually stopped ! ... It made me think about how it would have been with an 8FT wide van, as although in percentage terms it’s not a huge increase, there was very little room to play with.

Reactions: Gagakev
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’m not surprised. As I said at the start I saw some shocking things on the road yesterday. It struck that the novices, my assumption, haven’t appreciated the physics of towing , loading and speed never mind the overall running gear and tyres. Let’s hope there are no human tragedies

Reactions: Icaru5
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We were there for a week from 5th July. Very nice site and Weymouth has plenty to keep you occupied. We enjoyed going to the docks to watch the pleasure boats going in and out. There is a pub not far from the site but turning left at the traffic lights. Very nice food and the best measurs in place for your safety. Turks Head.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, we went past the same accident during one of our trips, as we too have just returned from a week in Cornwall, followed by a week in Devon.

I was wondering how the caravan had sustained so much damage to one side, thinking at first that it must have rolled over, but then the car seemed to be undamaged. Then I noticed the damage to the trees and the thick branches lying on the ground.

Tha Volvo was an XC90 (older shape) if I’m not mistaken. It always makes me pause for thought when I see what would generally be considered a sensible choice of tow car involved in such an accident, and can only assume very poor loading, or a sudden erratic movement, which could of course have been a reaction to another drivers poor judgement. Speculation as always ...

At the start of our journey home yesterday, on the A379 between Starcross and Kenton, I was quite aware of how close the near side of the van needed to be to the trees and hedges in order for me to avoid the opposite side hanging over the white lines, especially on some of the twisties. I was quite relieved to see that there were no scuffs on the near side windows or the side panel when we eventually stopped ! ... It made me think about how it would have been with an 8FT wide van, as although in percentage terms it’s not a huge increase, there was very little room to play with.
The XC90 has a low tongue weight for the vehicle. I think it is only 90kg so if they were towing a twin the nose weight at about 7% would be over 100kg, but maximum on coupling is 100kg. Sadly it would not take much to upset an already delicate balance i.e. a passing vehicle.

Reactions: Gagakev

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
....welcome to Weymouth Steve.
Been here nearly a week and the 30 deg sunny days have turned into a wet Sunday as you will know!
We are about a mile from you at Coldharbour on a lovely 5 van Cl!
Been on a 3 site trip first to Cheshire then Oxfordshire and now Weymouth. ...all on small sites where it is easy to social distance.
Hi Bill, yes changeable weather is forecast for the coming week but it's nice to get away at last.
We're quite well spaced here but the place is overrun with kids.
St Ives next in early September and then perhaps Waterrow in October if I can get booked.
We were there for a week from 5th July. Very nice site and Weymouth has plenty to keep you occupied. We enjoyed going to the docks to watch the pleasure boats going in and out. There is a pub not far from the site but turning left at the traffic lights. Very nice food and the best measurs in place for your safety. Turks Head.
Thanks for the tip regarding the Turks Head Buckman, we might give it a try later this week.
We're off for a late lunch at The Ship Inn on Custom House Quay in Weymouth later.
The on site bar here does food but it looks a bit crowded so we'll probably give it a miss this time.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Bill, yes changeable weather is forecast for the coming week but it's nice to get away at last.
We're quite well spaced here but the place is overrun with kids.
St Ives next in early September and then perhaps Waterrow in October if I can get booked.

Thanks for the tip regarding the Turks Head Buckman, we might give it a try later this week.
We're off for a late lunch at The Ship Inn on Custom House Quay in Weymouth later.
The on site bar here does food but it looks a bit crowded so we'll probably give it a miss this time.
The on site bar does not do food. You buy from the Take away places across the way and the bar will give you the plates etc and you can eat in there. Nice place but we thought that drinks were quite expensive. Hopefully you are going to visit Monkey World or do the steam train trip to Swanage? Lulworth Cove will probably be very packed. :D

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The M5 southbound was at a standstill yesterday lunchtime just before Cribbs Causeway.
I diverted from my planned motorway route in order to meet our checking in time slot, introduced due to Covid 19.
Passing Chew near to Bath on the way toward Yeovilton there were some slippery road surfaces which could catch out the unwary motorist.
Accumulated oil or fuel on the road surfaces and a drizzly day made the roads greasy and potentially dangerous.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The M5 southbound was at a standstill yesterday lunchtime just before Cribbs Causeway.
I diverted from my planned motorway route in order to meet our checking in time slot, introduced due to Covid 19.
Passing Chew near to Bath on the way toward Yeovilton there were some slippery road surfaces which could catch out the unwary motorist.
Accumulated oil or fuel on the road surfaces and a drizzly day made the roads greasy and potentially dangerous.
On our trip to the Malverns today can’t recall seeing a moss laden or anything looking like those described above. All were being driven sensibly. Perhaps the true Tuggers avoid M4 and M5 on holiday Saturdays. No disrespect to fellow members 🤭
Must have done good job on awning as it’s Son et Lumiere Avenue beaucoup de l’eau in these here parts.49B3F33F-49F4-4191-9486-0AE3D92BC702.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Oh ground water coming up into the awning. Flooding from below. Summer in UK eh? Poor dogs are embarrassed as they are wet underneath through rising water and they must think they have had an accident. 😂

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I work at Cribbs Causeway and this time of the year,if your heading south on the M5,its best to get passed Almondsbury interchange before about 10 am. on a Friday.

Saturdays,get past there before 8 or 9 am.

We usually try to go Thursday early afternoon to avoid the traffic.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
On our trip to the Malverns today can’t recall seeing a moss laden or anything looking like those described above. All were being driven sensibly. Perhaps the true Tuggers avoid M4 and M5 on holiday Saturdays. No disrespect to fellow members 🤭
Jn 2 of the M5 is a few minutes drive from our house so it's the main route to the south west for us.
If I'm towing I usually try to avoid towns, villages and B roads whenever possible.
The basic concept of motorways is to enable us to move reasonably quickly to various locations without creating congestion along the way.
If the motorway is at a standstill, with the greatest respect, a true tugger will try to find a less busy alternative route before everybody else has the same idea, but if everything is moving ok why create problems for people who'se towns were bypassed by the motorway? 😉
I can't say that I really noticed mildew covered old caravans on the trip south.
To be honest I'm concentrating on my own driving, so I only really see what's going to affect our own safe tow, if a caravan is being towed dangerously I back off and allow the idiot to go ahead, at least I can see them if they're down the road in front of me.

Reactions: WayneS and Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts