Thetford Toilet Flush Tank

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The last 3 caravans we have owned have had the flush tank on the Thetford toilet filled from a small door on the outside of the caravan above the door for the toilet waste cannister. When we leave a site I always empty the waste tank and ensure that the flush tank is no more than about 1/3rd full. Our latest Bailey is just over 6 months old and earlier this year I was surprised to find the waste tank virtually full of liquid. I thought I must have forgotten to empty it on previous trip a few days earlier. Shortly afterwards I met a van owner with a new van and we were comparing vans. He was pleased with his but remarked that he had found his shower full of water when he had taken it out of storage and would have to visit his dealer upon return. I thought nothing more until our last trip when I went to top up the flush tank only to find it virtually full. On going into the van the toilet pan was half full of dirty water. We always clean van when we get home from each trip. Looking at the flush tank flap I felt that it was probably not sealing properly. On a visit to get our gas regulator changed my dealer has confirmed that the flap needs replacing as it is not sealing correctly and rain water is filling up the flush tank. I drained the flush tank but after one nights heavy rain a few days ago there was another 1/2 litre of water in the tank.
I suggest anyone particularly with a relatively new van makes sure that they do not have this problem as approaching cold winter weather could cause damage if rain water manages to get into the flush tank and then freezes. My dealer has told me to put some duct tap over the filler cap to prevent rain entry while he gets replacement door.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That is very interesting
I was sure that I had drained my flush tank but last week found it very full of clear water.
Thanks for the tip
I will keep an eye on it
smiley-wink.gif

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had a similar problem with the rear wet locker door seal on an 05 S5 Bordeaux. Thankfully the wet locker was well sealed and retained about 1 inch of water. A new seal sorted it out.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts