Thinking of selling up my caravan

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi all thinking of moving on too motorhomes any idea of any company’s too buy my current caravan?
Thanks
Adrian
Plenty advertise in Club magazines and PC. I sold mine this time last year. I used Autotrader and the advert appeared at 1000. A very short while later two buying agents had contacted me and made better offers than a local caravan dealer. They both would pick the van up the next day and online transfer into the bank. However private buyers also came forth and by 1230 one from Cardiff had driven over and paid me a holding deposit, with an agreed price well above the buying agent. Two days later the van went to its new home.
Apart from being looked after what clearly attracted buyers interest were the comprehensive service documents plus the recent damp survey which showed no damp.

May 12, 2019
Visit site
I would hesitate to suggest the Caravan and Motorhome dealer I have just bought my Caravan from. I was warned about them from a kitchen fitter who was fitting a new kitchen in my house, but I did not take his warning seriously.
Certainly now I am aware that apart from cleaning a caravan for sale, they dont do a service, they "make it safe" and let the customer take delivery and find the faults.
If I was doing it again, caravan or motorhome, I would have it independently before purchase.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
There are pros and cons of motorhomes:
They are mega expensive
Their mpg is poor
As they are a vehicle they have to be insured, taxed, and (in time) MoT tested
You are limited what you can do or where you can go during the day because of size/height
Only the newer (and thus more expensive) are Euro6 rated so you may find limitations where you can drive
They often have a small toilet and washroom the latter with an integral shower
They can be a bit unstable (rocking) in winds that might keep you awake

On the good side they tend to be better built with superior quality control than caravans
They retain their secondhand value better than caravans

Think VERY hard before making the jump.......

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Friends of mine bought a motorhome last year when it became apparent that overseas holidays were unlikely. It was their first experience with a leisure vehicle if any kind. They hired one for 4-5 days to see if they liked it which convinced them they did, so they went ahead and bought a pre owned Auto Trail. They now have 12 months experience having been away many times and wonder why they didn’t get one before when they knew we had caravans and had considered one some 10 years ago. He even bought his Sportage as a potential tow car.
Yes there are differences between caravans and Motorhomes but the increasing popularity of MH over the last several years must mean that many owners enjoy their leisure pastime in a MH.

Our friends now plan to sell the Sportage and buy a smaller car to tow behind the MH. Oh and they are mid 70s.

Jun 3, 2022
Visit site
Hi all thinking of moving on too motorhomes any idea of any company’s too buy my current caravan?
Thanks
Adrian
I had an Auto trail 6 berth motor home having had a touring van many years ago and in my opinion they are for an entirely different type of holiday to vans. I f you want to tour from place to place then a motorhome is what you need, if you want to set up a base camp and use your car for driving around your chosen holiday area then a van is preferable. To have a comparable amount of space in a motorhome as you get in a van you need a fair size motorhome, the downside of this is you then have to drive it every where which can be awkward on narrow B roads. Some people have a large motorhome with a small car being towed behind which kind of defeats the object of not having to tow. I've been looking at motorhome prices over the last 12 months and they are silly money at present and they is an awful lot of rubbish out there (rot boxes).As others have commented, think long and hard before you jump and do your research before you pay out any money ( HPI check is a must )!!

Regards. peter

Reactions: PTA
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You might get good price at Lowdhams Nottingham and Huddersfield because a friend of mine traded in his Buccaneer Cruiser caravan and brought a swift Bessacarr 596 and he thinks it great he takes a couple of bikes and he away for a weekend or a week

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You might get good price at Lowdhams Nottingham and Huddersfield because a friend of mine traded in his Buccaneer Cruiser caravan and brought a swift Bessacarr 596 and he thinks it great he takes a couple of bikes and he away for a weekend or a week
A trade in price to a dealer will always be better than trying to sell directly to a dealer with no onward purchase of another caravan or motorhome from them.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
MH has an attraction but for me the disadvantages put me off . Woodentop summed it up very well. What’s the point being on a FSP and then having to disconnect everything to drive to the shops or site seeing. Most supermarket carparks are not MH friendly.
However if I became too infirm the MH will allow continuance of our hobby.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do go along with Woodentop on the problems, but many people manage, so possibly it is horses for courses.
To get the best price for a caravan a private sale is usually the best option but it needs great care and some work to get it done and there is always the risk of the purchaser coming back to you if things go wrong.
You will get less selling to a dealer or professional buyer but it is more straightforward and there is no come back. If you do that I would check out a few and see who gives you the best price and you feel confident with.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts