This is the year

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Just returned from 6 week trip through France, Austria & Italy and this is the year to travel to Europe. Our average cost per pitch, using the ACSI card and with the current exchange rate was £13-00 per night, admittedly out of season. The sites we used were, with one exception, all of a high quality, some with stunning views and all with electric connection.
We also averaged about 90pence per litre for our Diesel, using our Halifax Credit Card, which does not charge for foreign transactions, and gave us an exchange rate of 1-38 euro to the £sterling. One piece of advice when in Italy, fill your own tank up, do not allow am attendant to do it for you, as they will charge an exorbitant amount to do so.

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
Not jealous at all BG (much !) How was your weather ?

Its definately on my wish list for caravanning, once I have ironed out all the minor niggles with our van, here in the UK.

Did you have a master plan and route (and did you stick to it), or did you just take each area as it came ?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I personally like to plan a complete route, including all the sites I intend to use. I base my planning on the ACSI Camping Card books of Camping Sites throughout Europe, all at low cost during out of season. We do occasionally tweak it as we go along, if we find a site/place we really enjoy.The sites are all inspected by ACSI so are of a good standard and include electric connection and offer good value even in the high season.
One of the few advantages of being retired is being able to take extended holidays, and we are going on another tour throughout September, based on a rally to the Alsace. (See Events, rallies and owners clubs section) If you are able to tour out of the high season, then joining the ACSI organisation, at a cost of 13 euro's, which can be recouped in a couple of night camping, is the way to go.
I recommend visiting France as the roads are much clearer and apart from driving on the right, present very few problems.
I will be happy to help in any way I can, and Parksy will be able to put you in touch with me. All I can add is give it a go, it is very rewarding.

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
I was thinking along the same lines - a trip to France for the first outing, to see how I, and the van, cope with it all.
Thanks for the offer of advice - sadly it wont be this year I undertake this adventure tho...(still tied to a full time job for the next 15yrs :( ..... although I have a funny feeling I might start planning for next year.

The ACSI card sounds well worth the (very small) charge.

Best of luck in September !

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Been to France many times with the van. If you are a bit unsure, try Brittany as much of it is a short journey from Roscoff. Its only downside is that the weather is cooler in the evenings. Once you head further south an overnight stop is required, which of course eats into your overall holiday time. Better then to plan a 3 week holiday if this is possible

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking about my original post 16 months ago, extoling the low cost of touring in Europe, due to the excellent rate of exchange at the time, how quickly things change. With the low rate of exchange currently available I am now planning our spring trip for next year to Scotland, rather than Europe.

Is anybody else thinking of staying in the UK next year instead of Europe?

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
With this latest Brexit ruling and the cost of fuel rapidly going up things could change completely again so we all might be pitching up on our driveways.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes George, same idea as yourself, thinking about over to Southwold for a week or so, and then upto peak distriict and the lake district, never ben to North Wales in the Caravan, so thats another option. Working my way through the CL sites inthe CC book looking fo4 site near to or op pubs. Stayed on the Norman knight site , thats mentioned in this month CC magazine, and they have now put in Hardstandings as in winter it used to get a bit muddy.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hutch North Wales was our playground when we were young, as we lived in Liverpool, it is great and I can certainly help with many suggestions if you decide to go. We did a tour of Wales 3 years ago starting in Llangollen before working our way slowly down to Pembrokshire. We managed to walk up Snowden, something I had thought about for many years, but the opportunity never presented itself and the area is so beautiful.

TRENDING THREADS