Tight driveway

Dec 8, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,

We're very excited to be researching our first caravan purchase. There have been so many things to consider in terms of what we would like that it's been a bit of an oversight to date in terms of whether what we'd like, will fit on our driveway.

We've got an L-shaped drive. Ideally the caravan would be parked up the side of the house as its the longest part of the drive and would save us parking behind one and other. However that section of the drive is most narrow. We've got approximately 240cm width at the narrowest point (between our house guttering and the fence/brick pier on our neighbours side. It does widen to 250cm but the caravan we'd like is 225cm wide... so it's very tight! That said, there is an additional 10cm or so between the guttering and our house wall to aid with accessing between the house and the caravan.

We would like a motor mover so I initially thought that it wont be an issue as we can remotely drive it in forwards (I thought that would be best for safety) but I'm now wondering exactly how you engage a motor mover system and whether you'd need access to both side of the van or whether you engage it on one side only?

I assume the MM runs off of the leisure battery as I'm also wondering if that dies, how we go about charging it up as id imagine the side storage compartments where the battery would be located would be tight to access due to the limited width between the caravan and the house wall. I'd imagine we'd need a good 50cm or so of clearance to open the side compartment of the caravan.

If the caravan was 50cm shorter, it would be able to comfortably fit across the front of the house, but that extra 50cm of extra length would encroach too far over the entrance of the drive. What a polava!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There are automatic engagement movers that don’t need you to be along the side to engage. Look at Powrtouch or Reich website to get an idea. But there are also other makes of auto engage mover.

Battery access will be an issue do you could try a solar panel to keep the battery topped up. There are small top up ones a few watts or roof mounted larger ones for off grid touring. IE 100 watts and higher. Depends on your needs

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Auto engage would not be a problem unless there was a failure. So having a plan B is important. With a mover you can manoeuvre very accurately. Perhaps if you had to, you could carefully push it out if need be, unless a mover failed when it was engaged on the wheels. Very unlikely, but always worrying.

Normally you need to turn the mover on/off via a switch in the battery box. But it is possible to fit it elsewhere. Mine operates with a key on the ‘A’ frame.

It may be frustrating to not be able to access the caravans door or lockers without getting it out.

You may want to leave it plugged in to the mains. But for safety reasons it is best not to use the mover while plugged in. But that can be overcome with a solar panel.

Or you could put the van in storage.

Plenty to think about.

John

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Following on from the above post auto movers have the fall back to be wound on or off, but with your clearance it could be an interesting exercise in flexibility and a whippet like build would help.

Reactions: Jcloughie

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
re keeping the battery healthy:
It would be easy for a modestly capable DIYer to route wiring from the battery to an accessible point to facilitate charging the battery with a standalone smart charger.
It would need a protection fuse, but only light wiring is needed for the low amperage involved in recharging a battery.

Dec 8, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated and lots to think about. Reassuring that the movers are precise. Certainly lots to think about. It would be a pain not being able to easily access the van so storage night well be something to consider, but I do like the idea of having it at home or access as and when needed.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
manual engage MMs can be engaged from both sides of the van.
May be tricky if you want to wind down the steadies, I have to use a ratchet on one of mine when on the drive

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
manual engage MMs can be engaged from both sides of the van.
May be tricky if you want to wind down the steadies, I have to use a ratchet on one of mine when on the drive
The wind on one’s can be useful in such situations as they will bring both rollers to or from the wheel from either side of the caravan. But this parking area is very tight down each side.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated and lots to think about. Reassuring that the movers are precise. Certainly lots to think about. It would be a pain not being able to easily access the van so storage night well be something to consider, but I do like the idea of having it at home or access as and when needed.

I f you are choosing a mover, make sure it has soft start. (They may all have it nowadays). Not so jerky.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They have to be precise as if fitting an Alko wheel lock onto the caravan you are talking a couple of millimetres can make the difference between the lock fitting or not. Similarly if they were not precise they would not be helpful for hitching the caravan.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not being able to access the caravan will prevent you fitting wheel locks something most insurance companies will probably require. Also probably easier for thieves to remove a caravan off private property than from a proper storage area. The other factor is that when the caravan is not there, every one knows that you are away.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Not being able to access the caravan will prevent you fitting wheel locks something most insurance companies will probably require. Also probably easier for thieves to remove a caravan off private property than from a proper storage area. The other factor is that when the caravan is not there, every one knows that you are away.

A security post behind the van will most likely satisfy insurance companies.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would go with the auto engage as then room to engage a manual one may not be there and have the on/off switch somewhere convenient. You would probably manage a lever one though but the wind on type could be a problem.
As a precaution against theft you can use the mover to bring it into the drive forwards and so preventing it being driven out. If the mover should fail and assuming the drive is reasonably flat you can always push the caravan clear of the house.
To keep the battery topped up I would attach the hook up cable before you take the caravan alongside the house and run it into the front locker, so that when you need it it is attached and not a problem to connect up.
Hope this helps.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We put a Emove EM203 caravan mover it got the easy- wind system with no need to get down on my hands or knees to engage the rollers so far it has been great value for money

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My concern is you have a very tight fit. So tight you will not be able to enter in the parked position. Most Insurers demand wheel locks. Can you fit one? Can you reach all four steadies?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The point about the steadies can be overcome in most cases by dropping the front steadies to ground level before you place the caravan in position and then using the jockey wheel to raise them clear of the ground and then putting the caravan in its storage position. You then use the jockey wheel to drop the front steadies onto the ground and then drop the rear steadies to complete the job. The rear steadies will normally work from under the rear and not the side. We have certainly used this method without problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts