Mar 27, 2007
Visit site
hi have just returned from france/spain tolls 240 euors, and i notice upon my return the m25 clogged with hgv's from all over europepaying nothing for the use of our roads i know our deisel is alittle dearer but it won't make up the difference deisel in france 113-119 euors. so i have written to the prime minister suggesting a charge on non british vehicles that could be collected by the ferry companys as you have to give your number plate when booking ferry. I would be intrested to know others thoughts happy vanning peter

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
peteinnewforset......A good idea but it won't happen. If anything we will all be charged for using motorways and town centres before long as well as paty the high road and fuel taxes.

We, as a nation, just accept most things that are thrown at us and we moan but we don't do much else. Most probably because we know that without strong support (mass anarchy) we cannot win.

Politicians, irrespective of their party colours are only in it for there own gain these days. And of course if we charged foreigners to drive on our roads it would be seen as a politically incorrect thing to do and we "The Great British" must ALWAYS be seen to be politically correct.

Of course and alternative idea to your suggestion is that British registered vehicles could be exempt from paying tolls in Europe.......that won't happen either.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
If we charged extra for non-British vehicles then all our Spanish grown fruit and vegetables, our French wine, our cheap European made furniture, our tiles and pottery from Portugal, our clothing from Morocco, and much, much more would all be more expensive. At least in France you have a choice of fast, low-traffic, toll roads, or fast low-traffic non-toll roads where you don't have to pay anything (and the diesel is cheaper off the toll roads too - 103 cheapest, average 106 at the end of June)!! We regularly go down to the Mediterranean and Spain on non-toll roads, and it isn't that much slower than paying a fortune in tolls. The main problem is that in Britain the population is the same as in France, but the area is a third as big (approximately) and so all the drivers are squashed into a smaller road network, which is then crowded beyond tolerance. However, would you give up your car - no, probably not!

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Peter,

Your observations on French road tolls and a busy M25, and your conclusions about then charging foreign lorry drivers in the UK doesn't gel.

You chose to drive on the toll roads in France - and there are many, many alternative roads which are toll free.

Everyone who uses the French toll roads pays - it's not just a special tax on you.

Looking at our close neighbours in Europe, countries like Ireland, Belgium and Holland don't currently charge foreign HGV or car owners to use their roads. France has both toll and free roads, where the driver chooses if they want to pay or not by picking the road. And Germany has introduced road charging for all HGV vehicles (well certainly in the area around D

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
One shouldn't forget that some countries which charge tolls have very low car tax. Other countries have lower fuel prices but higher car tax. Unless there is some sort of harmonisation of vehicle and fuel taxation across Europe (which won't happen either), I'm afraid we'll just have to live with varying degrees of unfair treatment when travelling across borders.

By the way, the UK is not the only country which has no tolls. More countries in Europe don't have tolls than those that have tolls.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts