Tom Tom Go 700

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying the Tom Tom 700 for use in the UK and Europe.

Can someone give me any info on the installation in the car i.e. power connection - does the unit rely on internal battery or do I have to run a supply from the car?

I note that an external aerial is available as an extra but is this needed?

Can I remove the unit from the car for security?

I have seen the system on the net at £410 + postage can anyone suggest a cheaper source?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ive got the Tom Tom 300 you can almost buy the 700 now for what I paid for mine.

They have rechargable batteries which charge from the Ciggy lighter. I bought an optional aux charger to use when downloading from the net.

Easily removable from the car which is recommended as a lot of vehicles are broken into as they are free standing and can be used anywhere on any vehicle.

Halfords are doing the 700 at

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
if you are using a sucker on window to mount tom tom (or other devices)always remove the mark that the sucker makes when taken off.thieves look for these ,and regardless if it can be seen or not THEY WILL BREAK INTO YOUR CAR to look for such devices,whether they are present or not

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
I can certainly recommend the TomTom GO 700, I bought mine from Tesco last year, but for the best price today use a free search engine like www.pricerunner.co.uk which compares all of todays prices.

The unit is powered from the 12 volt accessory socket / cigarette lighter and just leave it powered that way whilst driving.

The GO 700 comes with a load of accessories that cost extra on the other models; like a home mains charger, PC connecting lead, remote control, etc.

If your car has a heat reflecting windscreen then you may need the accessory antenna, but I found it worked fine on my Merc C270.

You may want to figure out an alternative to the screen suction mount, they work perfectly, but are an unwanted advertisement that you have something worth stealing in the car.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the info. I didn't realise that it was recharged from the ciggy lighter. That makes fitting a lot simpler. Following Klarky's link I can get a better price too.

I'll get one before we set off to Portugal next month

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Clive, have you looked at www.pocketgps.co.uk. They have pages and pages of info in the forum if you look for the TomTom link!

You should find all the info on do's and don'ts and how to add POI data etc.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi clive, we bought the tom tom 700 the week it came out.we bought the extra aerial aswell.i dont know much about it but my partner (craig) does.ill get him to reply to your message when he gets in later. thanks jo-anne

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi, the aerial is needed if you have got a car with a heated front screen or reflective screen otherwise you will have problems.its best to buy it from some where like halfords as they know what they are going on about.we bought our 1st 700 from pc world and had nothing but trouble with it and them.we got a refund in the end and bought the other 700 from halfords and they were great gave a demo put it in the car etc.hope this helps.

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Has anyone used this abroad as yet? I am thinking of getting this unit for european travel and was wondering just how good it is?

gary
I used one 2 years ago in France the mistake I made was to set it for the shortest route, saw some great country, very narrow lanes and finaly stopped when it tried to take the outfit through a car park with a hight barrier at 1.5 metres. A good piece of kit But check out the route its taking you on the map before you set off if you have the van in tow.

Have fun

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I used one 2 years ago in France the mistake I made was to set it for the shortest route, saw some great country, very narrow lanes and finaly stopped when it tried to take the outfit through a car park with a hight barrier at 1.5 metres. A good piece of kit But check out the route its taking you on the map before you set off if you have the van in tow.

Have fun
Thanks, David. We are off to Germany at Easter, without van, to a small village to stay with friends. May well make it easier getting there with the tom tom than deciphering a map directions etc. Less stress too!

Dec 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive, If you have now got your hands on your TT700, check the software version its using. I bought one in December last year and found there was an update for it, version 5.420, if yours is lower, then go to the TT website, register it and then download the update and install it. If you have'nt already done so, just tap the bottom R/H corner of the screen, after switching on and it will tell you which version yours is using.

Tankie

Dec 12, 2005
Visit site

Have fun
I have read somewhere either in the manual or on the website that you should'nt use the "shortest route" as it will take forever, if it's any distance and will take you down all the backalleys and ratruns where you would'nt even go on a cycle never mind in a car with a van on tow!! But I can't remember the reason it gave for that facility being available. Probably handy if you are walking! But then there is also a "walking" facility on there.

Tankie

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Gary,

Before buying my TomTom GO 700, for the past three years I used an iPAQ PDA with the TomTom Navigator software - basically the same user interface, same map database, just a few more wires to link everything together.

I work in Rotterdam, and attend meetings in Holland and Germany as well as the UK - the mapping software takes you door-to-door without any problems what so ever.

Most of France is well covered, but rural France can be more fun, because many of the minor roads are unlabelled or unmarked by the local commune.

So you may not be able to enter the exact street destination via the "keyboard". But you can always find somewhere close, and then when you arrive - remember to hit the "Add location" option.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gary,

Before buying my TomTom GO 700, for the past three years I used an iPAQ PDA with the TomTom Navigator software - basically the same user interface, same map database, just a few more wires to link everything together.

I work in Rotterdam, and attend meetings in Holland and Germany as well as the UK - the mapping software takes you door-to-door without any problems what so ever.

Most of France is well covered, but rural France can be more fun, because many of the minor roads are unlabelled or unmarked by the local commune.

So you may not be able to enter the exact street destination via the "keyboard". But you can always find somewhere close, and then when you arrive - remember to hit the "Add location" option.

Robert
Thanks for that, Robert. Yet another avenue to explore!

Gary

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts