Tom Tom Sat nav

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
hi dennis

i bought a tomtom satnav that had the truck version installed on to it.

having had two other satnavs before, a navman and a navigon - i have found this one the best.

if your driving solo and put in the destination it will send you one way, but change it to truck and it will stick to motorways and main roads.

we are going away at the weekend to a site at selby, if i say i'm in a car it's 29 miles, the same destination but for a truck 32 miles - both the navman and the navigon no matter how i set them up would still take me down little country roads with the caravan on tow, but on a reasent 800 mile tour it always kept to the main roads.

always check the rout before you set off with a good upto date map and you should have no problems

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Forgive me, but what is the point of having a sat nav and then checking it against a map? You might as well buy a good map (like the Phillips Navigator atlas) and save the cost of another electronic gadget that can go wrong - and more importantly is stealable.

My expeience of sat nav is that it is a superb street atlas for an area that you don't know, but for anything else use an atlas or better still your nose and road signs.

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I find it difficult to turn the pages of the map when I'm driving and the print size is sometimes hard to read.

Not really the best idea from a safety point of view!!

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I find it difficult to turn the pages of the map when I'm driving and the print size is sometimes hard to read.

Not really the best idea from a safety point of view!!
i agree with you reg, the satnav's are a great help, but the satnav is only as good as the maps stored in it, if the unit is a few years old then so are the maps.

but as you said woody - your expeience of sat nav is that it is superb for an area that you don't know, but for anything else use an atlas - all i said was check the route before you leave against a map as it could save you a lot of problems later, if you didn't and got yourself in a jam who's fault would that be?

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
That is a great idea, can you get the truck update / mod for all models of tomtom?

chris.
hi chris

mine is on a tomtom one xl that i bought from a well known internet site, but it has the full truck version on and full maps of europe.

i paid around

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I bought the TomTom XXL after using a Medion for several years.

Frankly I find the TomTom software slow and the routing algorithms pretty useless.

On supposedly the FAST route option it sends me down back roads and in france recently it tried to send me down farm tracks. This is supposed to be the "FAST OPTION"!!

Any other option doesn't use motorways.

The graphics are so slow that when you are maneuvering you don't really know where you actually are. Starting off from cold it can take several minutes to tell you that you're going in the wrong direction!!! GRRRR!!!

The latest maps are so out of date that I'm surprised they charge for them.

A pretty useless tool and I wish I had kept my Medion!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts