Tomtom Go Camper vs Go Expert

Oct 3, 2021
Visit site
HI all, I'm looking at getting a satnav to assist with towing. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in these Tomtom products. The main reason I am considering the Expert is because not only does it have a faster processor, but the screen is also much better. I just didn't know if there were any downsides from the way it works and calculates routes vs the Camper. I know it's aimed at HGV's but you still need to put your dimensions and weight in as you do the camper.

The only thing I can think of is if the camper maybe calculates the pivot distance between car and van, rather than a HGV which is mostly1 massive long vehicle.

I appreciate any comments/advice.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
HI all, I'm looking at getting a satnav to assist with towing. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in these Tomtom products. The main reason I am considering the Expert is because not only does it have a faster processor, but the screen is also much better. I just didn't know if there were any downsides from the way it works and calculates routes vs the Camper. I know it's aimed at HGV's but you still need to put your dimensions and weight in as you do the camper.

The only thing I can think of is if the camper maybe calculates the pivot distance between car and van, rather than a HGV which is mostly1 massive long vehicle.

I appreciate any comments/advice.

We have the TT Go Camper and no issues. On our previous TT you could change the vehicle from Car to Car & Caravan with two touches. The Go Camper you need to go into settings, then select vehicle and then select which vehicle.
One very big annoyance is that when on the move if using fingers to do the walking, it will not allow however you can change by voice control. In case someone wonders, it would be OH trying to cancel or input another location and not myself.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have had a few Tom Tom products in the past and rate them indeed. However, with Satnav built in to my tug (and not very good Satnav either) I was looking for one for my wifes runaround and came up with what I believe is a far better product, the Garmin Drive Assist (its not cheap), take a look at
Garmin DriveAssist™ 51 LMT-S | Garmin | Auto GPS
and see what is included.

Built in dashcam, hands free caling and voice activated nav, Garmin real vision, lane departure, forward collision, travaleapse, trip advisor, wireless updates, and much much more. Been using it a while now and its brilliant.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have had a few Tom Tom products in the past and rate them indeed. However, with Satnav built in to my tug (and not very good Satnav either) I was looking for one for my wifes runaround and came up with what I believe is a far better product, the Garmin Drive Assist (its not cheap), take a look at
Garmin DriveAssist™ 51 LMT-S | Garmin | Auto GPS
and see what is included.

Built in dashcam, hands free caling and voice activated nav, Garmin real vision, lane departure, forward collision, travaleapse, trip advisor, wireless updates, and much much more. Been using it a while now and its brilliant.
I’ve got the Garmin before the one Thingy has and I rate Garmin features highly. Mine doesn’t have lane assist or the dash cam but included the other features. It’s updated for life and the wifi updates are so quick. I also use Garmin Basecamp software which enables me to plot my preferred route if required and then export it to the satnav. Very useful when going to unfamiliar sites so you can accurately follow the sites own directions. But I always look at Google Earth to familiarise myself with the “landing approach”

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Pretty much given up with Sat Navs, I never had a dedicated "truck" one but now just use an AA map, google earth and a pad of paper.
Obviously we miss out on being directed down unsuitable roads if there is a delay somewhere but also don't get routed down silly roads to save 200 yards off the jouney distance or 10 seconds off the route time :D

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Pretty much given up with Sat Navs, I never had a dedicated "truck" one but now just use an AA map, google earth and a pad of paper.
Obviously we miss out on being directed down unsuitable roads if there is a delay somewhere but also don't get routed down silly roads to save 200 yards off the jouney distance or 10 seconds off the route time :D
Your built in SatNav on the SF. Must be the same as mine, almost useless, going slow down motorways, say 40 mph due to an accident and it will divert me off the motorway at the next junction and back on again.

I had a Snooper 2000, for the caravan, great bit of kit, then 2 years ago stopped updates so bought the new one, even with the max sizes of caravan programmed into it, it takes me some very weired routes.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The trick with a satnav when towing is to study your route before departure and not to be led astray by it trying to reroute you if it detects a delay. If it offers an alternative option whilst en route then your navigator can check it out using a map. When solo driving you have more freedom of choice.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Your built in SatNav on the SF. Must be the same as mine, almost useless, going slow down motorways, say 40 mph due to an accident and it will divert me off the motorway at the next junction and back on again.

I had a Snooper 2000, for the caravan, great bit of kit, then 2 years ago stopped updates so bought the new one, even with the max sizes of caravan programmed into it, it takes me some very weired routes.

Yes, only used the Santa Fe satnav once, what a mess that thing is. I think the media centre is the only thing I don't like about the car. I will upgrade it somehow but the aircon controls are passed through it somehow

The trick with a satnav when towing is to study your route before departure and not to be led astray by it trying to reroute you if it detects a delay. If it offers an alternative option whilst en route then your navigator can check it out using a map. When solo driving you have more freedom of choice.

I know, we don't deviate from planned route when towing, unless we are really sure and my sat nag has looked at the map, then tells me that we should have turned off there as we have passed the junction :D
When solo I'll use waze or google maps, much better than the tom tom or garmin that I have (both fairly modern and up to date maps)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I would say that the same on my Tiguan Satnav i have given it up it gives us three routes but i tried them and it has been a disappointment .
So I use my Garmin and that been the best one for a route it takes me all the way to the destination .

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetonic

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I use either the TomTom or Sygic Apps on my smartphone. Not geared specifically to carvans but as mentioned previously and which I agree with completely I check any route it offers before I use it.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The thing with Satnavs and people complaining about them is lack of effort. Most people expect to enter an address and thats it, then wonder why it goes wrong. Preferences need to be set as do avoids. Satnavs arent specced with logic, you need to apply that manually.

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Whenever I put on the satnav my wife used to say you need some one to argue with. Sadly she is no longer with us.
I always had my routes mapped out in my head from previous trips or routes that I had travelled before. With a lorry driver for a father most school holidays was spent travelling around the country with him.
I do use the inboard one towards my destination if I'm not sure or a new route.

Trevor

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I remember many years back, when Satnavs were fairly new and I was driving artics, I had a drop up near Barnard Castle, going to a farm up a very tight B road, and knowing there was a hump backed bridge with very tight corners at either end. It could be done but it took some skill and effort, you certainly couldnt reverse back as you simply couldnt see. Two banksmen would have been needed, one front one back, but at least once the farm was reached you could turn easily and repeat the process. The road beyond the farm was considered impassable for vehicles of that size. Coming down to the bridge, I was stunned to meet an east Euro driver (one of the first I encountered over here) coming towards me and meeting me head on at the bridge. It took us hours to extricate, with the help of three or four farm labourers. I was one of the few on our firm that would attempt that drop, thinking I was skilled, but how Stanislav, Mickislav or Bertislav or whatever his name was achieved coming in the other direction made me look a rank amateur. Thats what can happen wih Satnavs.

For me there arent many major routes in the UK that Im not fully familiar with, and a large part of western Europe too, and I generally use a Satnav for two reasons. One to find the address at the end of the journey, or two, to give me an ETA.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thingy.....I think it was Stanislav.
I met him once coming in the opposite direction many years ago in North Wales.🤣
It must be Stanislav who regularly came through Bradford on Avon and crossed the river using the medieval bridge. I think he enjoyed broadening his knowledge of the English language through his chats with Bridge-watch.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The TT GO Camper allows you to input the dimensions of your outfit and prevents you be taken down unsuitable road with caravan in tow.

Reactions: Thingy
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The TT GO Camper allows you to input the dimensions of your outfit and prevents you be taken down unsuitable road with caravan in tow.
Thats what I thought about my new Snooper, (Truck Mate) yes you can go down those lanes, but not always the best routes to reverse bacck on.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site

Whilst this will be partly true it is NOT wholly true hence the number of reported impossible routes shown on EVERY SatNav.

ALL SatNavs depend upon published data to work. They ALL have a map (but not all use the same map) that they use to calculate a route from. These maps are updated as time passes and owners simply download and install the most recent map.

However:

Yes, if you pop in the size of your vehicle then the SatNav will certainly not send you down roads WHERE THE PUBLISHED DATA shows a height restraint or a width restraint or a road unsuitable for HGV etc.

It is simply IMPOSSIBLE for any SatNav to avoid all instances of unsuitable roads simply because it has no knowledge of them - they are not included as data on the map.

I regularly visit my daughter and family and know the route intimately. In one place the main road is signed at 40 mph. It's a wide simple road to follow. However, at one point there's a lane leading from the main road and rejoining it some way further on.

Np prizes for guessing which route a SatNav will take!

The "lane" is signed as de-restricted and certainly cuts a large corner off the route. There are no low bridges nor width or weight restrictions and it's wide enough for easy travel towing a van - that is until you meet someone else coming towards you!

To ANY SatNav a shorter faster route will be chosen unless you've set a preference for "scenic" or "direct" or something else other than "fastest" in your general setup.

No matter which of these (if available) route preferences you have chosen every SatNav will take you down any road that has no published restriction regarding low bridges, tight corners, unpaved etc etc. that does not contravene the size and weight information that you have input for your outfit.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No matter which of these (if available) route preferences you have chosen every SatNav will take you down any road that has no published restriction regarding low bridges, tight corners, unpaved etc etc. that does not contravene the size and weight information that you have input for your outfit.
In the past 5 - 6 years we have never had an issue when towing. However in France on one occasion the road had changed to a one way system and we were not towing. No map or anything else would have advised differently. We are very happy with our TT Go Camper, but obviously it is not perfect.

Reactions: Johnb
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
In the past 5 - 6 years we have never had an issue when towing. However in France on one occasion the road had changed to a one way system and we were not towing. No map or anything else would have advised differently. We are very happy with our TT Go Camper, but obviously it is not perfect.

Yes And I'm sure there are many others who share your view.
After all everyone has preferences that are their own and I'm pleased to hear you are satisfied with your Go Camper.
The only message which I know you accept ("obviously it is not perfect" ) is the key to successful use of a SatNav.

I think Otherclive mentioned Basecamp at some point in a similar thread,

I too have a standard Garmin and use Basecamp to input routes that I've checked using Google (actually driven, as it were, some sections that appear troublesome) and I'm very happy with my SatNav when using these routes.

However, even here there are parameters such as using "tracks" or "waypoints" etc that if you are not familiar with Basecamp can be misleading. It's vital that you understand how the system works and put your "waypoints" in appropriate places to eliminate unwanted detours that the SatNav thinks are better!

My only reason for leaving TomTom in favour of Garmin was the removal of "Itineraries" from TomTom when they "dumbed down" their products some years ago. Garmin with Basecamp provides all I need for towing both here and in Europe ( Although you can't "drive a route" in Germany of course).

I rarely travel any distance solo and rely on the SatNav since detours through housing estates for a perceived short cut are always a danger.

Similarly if towing and I get a message to take another route to save some time (maybe accident ahead) I never take up the offer unless I can "see" it and know it's safe, simply because I would be relying on the SatNav's route and not my own.

Apologies if I sound pedantic but there's so much misinformation/advertising bias around the world of dedicated SatNavs that I get frustrated.

So pleased to hear you understand the drawbacks as I do.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes And I'm sure there are many others who share your view.
After all everyone has preferences that are their own and I'm pleased to hear you are satisfied with your Go Camper.
The only message which I know you accept ("obviously it is not perfect" ) is the key to successful use of a SatNav.

I think Otherclive mentioned Basecamp at some point in a similar thread,

I too have a standard Garmin and use Basecamp to input routes that I've checked using Google (actually driven, as it were, some sections that appear troublesome) and I'm very happy with my SatNav when using these routes.

However, even here there are parameters such as using "tracks" or "waypoints" etc that if you are not familiar with Basecamp can be misleading. It's vital that you understand how the system works and put your "waypoints" in appropriate places to eliminate unwanted detours that the SatNav thinks are better!

My only reason for leaving TomTom in favour of Garmin was the removal of "Itineraries" from TomTom when they "dumbed down" their products some years ago. Garmin with Basecamp provides all I need for towing both here and in Europe ( Although you can't "drive a route" in Germany of course).

I rarely travel any distance solo and rely on the SatNav since detours through housing estates for a perceived short cut are always a danger.

Similarly if towing and I get a message to take another route to save some time (maybe accident ahead) I never take up the offer unless I can "see" it and know it's safe, simply because I would be relying on the SatNav's route and not my own.

Apologies if I sound pedantic but there's so much misinformation/advertising bias around the world of dedicated SatNavs that I get frustrated.

So pleased to hear you understand the drawbacks as I do.
I support your views which exactly mirror mine. WRT Basecamp I once inserted a waypoint and clearly wasn’t concentrating as the Garmin went into an endless loop. I had inadvertently placed my waypoint in a northbound fast lane of an autoroute when it should have been the southbound lanes. Once realised the menu quickly allows you to cancel/ignore the waypoint and carry on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts