Top five sites in England

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Herself and I celebrated our Golden Wedding in late July, and have been caravanning for 47 years, and tenting before that, so our total "camping" time is close to 50 years also.
Not being party lovers, we decided to do something which would celebrate the two anniversaries, and went on tour of our top five favourite sites.
So, in no particular order, as we went north on the left, and came back down the right, if you see what I mean, here they are:
Moss House Farm, Wrightington, (01257 421869) one mile off J27, M6.Lovely little site, somewhere between a CL and Club site, but privately owned and run by caravanners. (and Royale owners, as well!) Whist it could never be described as pristine, more like rustic, this is part of its charm. Fishing on site, and basic but very clean facilities, it is good for either a one night stop en route to Scotland, but even better for longer stays.
We only found it a couple of years ago, but it quickly became a favourite.

Elm Cottage, near Windsford, Cheshire .(01829 760544) Could not be more different to Moss House .Owned, designed and operated by active caravanners, including the assistant wardens, this place IS pristine. We've been using it now for about 12 years, and it has improved year by year. The owners plough money back into improvements for the site, but I now begin to wonder how much better they can make it! Fish and chips on site on Friday and Saturday, a huge rally/playfield, well-thought out dog walk, immaculate geothermic facilities, and a good pub about a mile down the road. What more do you need?

North **** Farm, Salkeld Dykes, near Penrith. (01768 898352) Camping & Caravanning Club CS, this little hideaway site has been on our list for some 15 years now, and I'm delighted to say, has not changed! (it did have new facilities installed about five years ago, but as they are not actually in the camping field, they don't count)
Not a lot to say about the site really. It is a small peaceful, quiet site hidden away on the eastern edge of the Lakes, with easy access to all parts .Very friendly, easy-going owners, who leave you well alone unless they're needed.
Access might be a bit tight for maximum length outfits, but it can be done with care, and its well worth the effort.
Take note, though, that it is a working farm

Narrowbridge Cottage, Hayton, Retford, Notts.(01777 707693) Another CCC cs hideaway, it really is hidden away! Situated on a farm lane, over a narrow hump-back bridge over a canal, care is needed on approach, but once there you may not want to leave! Another rustic, rather than pristine site, this is another long-term favourite of ours.
Like North **** Farm, there's not a lot to say about this one, it is just lovely!
Most visitors are repeat and lots of them are like us, long term. The owner is a tree surgeon, so there is always lots of wood about for the site BBQ, and fire pit.(only to be used with owner's consent, obviously)
Lovely people again, very helpful, and how many sites do you know with its own Woodhenge?

And finally for this tour, The Leen at Pembridge.(01544 388305) This little gem started life as a CC cl, but a couple of years ago they left the network, and became a licenced site for 15 vans. Situated on the bank of the river Arrow, this site is only 60 miles from home, so we use it a lot, purely for the peace and tranquillity. (aside from the occasional light aircraft from Shobdon) Simply to sit watching the river, and the odd kingfisher or otter is one of my favourite pastimes. If you must leave the site, there are miles of dog walks all round the farm, but bear in mind that again, this a large working farm, so there are animals about. Convenient for Hereford and Leominster, with easy access to the Welsh border towns, this is one not to be missed. There is electricity, and a toilet, but no other facilities. The Norman family all live on the farm, so there is always someone around should you need anything, but they are very much in the background, so you might have to look for them!
This is another site where probably 80% of users are repeats, and we always seem to meet someone we know on most visits.
In over 25 years of using this site, we have seen it grow bigger, but not necessarily better, because it was wonderful to begin with!
If you're in this area, please support this gem, because when they left the network, the Caravan Club rather unkindly published that it had closed down, and consequently, bookings have dropped, but it is still open, and still one of the nicest little sites in the UK.
In all the years we've been touring, home and abroad, there are only two sites that we do not wish to return to, but these five, for us are the tops.
So there you are, that's our favourites. What about you?

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi Emmo,
congratulations on your 50th you deserve the gold medal,
I doubt we will still be touring on ours (4 years away) as we are comming to the end of our touring days, in fact the van is now up for sale.
but your post got me thinking favorite sites "erm" don't really have any as in the 44years of touring we rarely go to the same area. more than once, and if we do, we go to different sites to try them out "isn't that what touring is about" there are however a couple of site one gets drawn to when passing through an area.
I would have to admit to staying on them more than a couple of times,over the years, these would be in no particular order
1. C&CC site Mofatt, it's a well run site with everything one could need always clean and tidy plus close to town, and just off the A74, ideal stop over. only downside if you are not members of the C&CC you have to pay a surcharge.

2. Milton of Fonab private site half mile south of Pitlochry just off the A9, nice clean well run site, the dog walk goes for miles down the side of the river Tummel.

3. upper Lynston Bude, great site although a bit pricey but we rarely stayed more than a few days to rest while going either north or south via the A39.

4, River Valley, St austell. great site but little to add as most will have been there already and know what it is like.

5. and finally just for fun, Anton's farm Devon, small site has a couple of statics and 5 pitches, absolutely nothing there exept peace and quiet, "oh" and it's only a couple of miles from "Anglers paradise". :whistle:

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Colin. We did the sites tour this year, as, like you we may not be able to do it in three years, but whatever, it's great fun while we still can!
The only site I know on your list is Moffat, but we've not stayed there. In that area we use Craigielands, just down the road at Beatock.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts