Top Secret!

May 11, 2006
Visit site
We have just returned from our first weekend away! Ferry Meadows, near Peterborough, not too far away from home.

All looked good until we plugged in for our 230V mains supply - nothing! OK, the socket had our pitch number on, perhaps it was faulty, try another - still nothing! Check the van breaker - no problem. Get the meter out - nothing being supplied! What's going on!

The warden knew this was our first outing - why didn't they let us in on the secret?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There's a saying in the IT industry - when all else fails, read the manual!

Caravan Club Sites Directory and Handbook page 597 "Instructions for connecting to electricity supply"

3. Raise the cover of the electricity outlet providedon the pitch supply point and insert the blue plug (male) of the supply cable. (On Club Sites, turn plug clockwise until it locks).

May 11, 2006
Visit site
Oh, you're right Roger! I feel so embarassed now that I missed those 9 words in a 654 page handbook! How foolish of me! I will now go away and read it again from cover to cover.

Of course, the warden could have told me that there was a simple, but unobvious, way to ensure I got my 230V supply. Then again, I guess it's quite a boring job.

G

I wouldn't worry too much, I suspect there are only a few people who have actually read the whole book from cover to cover. Unless of course it is a very wet night and the TV is terrible.

We have all (I suspect) made the same mistake ourselves, I certainly have, and feel the 'right plonker' when you realise. Especially as the instruction is often written on the power post itself, and if memory serves well, it is at FM. The other common one is trying to remove the socket from the caravan without depressing the little lever at the side. Force will do it but breaks the lever catch.

Don't be too hard on the wardens, they are all very busy at the moment keeping the daisies decimated.

May 11, 2006
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much, I suspect there are only a few people who have actually read the whole book from cover to cover. Unless of course it is a very wet night and the TV is terrible.

We have all (I suspect) made the same mistake ourselves, I certainly have, and feel the 'right plonker' when you realise. Especially as the instruction is often written on the power post itself, and if memory serves well, it is at FM. The other common one is trying to remove the socket from the caravan without depressing the little lever at the side. Force will do it but breaks the lever catch.

Don't be too hard on the wardens, they are all very busy at the moment keeping the daisies decimated.
If the posts at Ferry Meadows did have signs on indicating connection protocol then I would indeed hang my face in shame. They don't. In fact I suggested to my wife that they should - how much would a simple sticker on each one cost?

I spent some time looking over the posts wondering if the otherwise apparently redundant key issued at check-in (still not sure what it was for) was supposed to be used for electrical purposes.

Just when I had given up hope of resolving the issue I saw the warden coming round the site on his moped - I walked to intercept him and as he looked towards me I attempted to get his attention. He smiled, turned away, and rode off. Fair enough, his choice, I had to walk to the other side of the site to ask the warden at reception what I was doing wrong. We won't ever be going to Ferry Meadows again - not just for the above reason, but we hope to enjoy caravanning at other sites soon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts