Torque wrench

Jul 18, 2017
We have had a slow leak with the rear tyre on our caravan for sometime and every time just before a trip I pumped it up to the correct pressure as it would lose about 6-8 psi over several weeks. Today while we were on site I plucked up the courage to see if I could remove the wheel myself and although a bit painful I managed.
Took it for repair and they found two different types of nail in the tyre. £25 later I had to then find a torque wrench and bought one from Screwfix plus sockets for £40. It was definitely easier to remove the tyre than to refit it. I had to juggle the height of the caravan to line up the bolt holes and between OH and myself we managed.
Then the really hard part for me was setting the torque wrench to the correct nm as the instructions were not the easiest to follow and I had never used a torque wrench previously. Luckily Youtube came to the rescue and tightened up the bolts using my weight rather than brute force. Job done and pleased with myself. 👍 :D

Mar 17, 2020
A fault cured, a technique learned and a desired outcome achieved . Everything positive.

Were you charged £25 to have the nails removed and the tyres plugged?

I had a nail in a tyre some months ago. Took it for repair to a garage I'd never been to before. When I asked how much was told zero. It costs the garage next to nothing and good will is so important. Left rather pleased and, all else being equal will return for my next purchase of tyres.

Reactions: Buckman
May 11, 2021
Don't forget with the torque wrench to release the torque setting back to 'zero' for storage.

I have three torque wrenches now to cover my various hobbies, from the big 'un for the caravan wheel nuts, through the middle 'un for general vehicle maintenance to the little 'un for my carbon fibre-framed bicycles. I think I have everything from 2 to 210 Nm covered. Look after them and they'll generally do you well.

Reactions: RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Don't forget with the torque wrench to release the torque setting back to 'zero' for storage.

I have three torque wrenches now to cover my various hobbies, from the big 'un for the caravan wheel nuts, through the middle 'un for general vehicle maintenance to the little 'un for my carbon fibre-framed bicycles. I think I have everything from 2 to 210 Nm covered. Look after them and they'll generally do you well.
Thanks as that was the advice given to many others on this forum.

Reactions: figbat

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Ensure you re check the torque of the wheel bolts after 15 to 20 miles when initially towed; that will be by far the most likely time any settling with relaxation of bolt tension can occur.
Unfortunately, something the present designs of caravan wheel systems are too prone to exhibit.
Only just ensure the design torque is reached again, don't in this case pre slacken.

Reactions: DaveA1
Aug 25, 2011
I was about to reply about checking torque after about 20 miles. I put a new tyre on last year and after 20 miles or so I stopped and checked again and it surprised me how loose they had become.

Trevor

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
This thread made me go and read the instructions for my Hilka torque wrench. There's no mention of setting it to zero when storing.

The only odd thing was that it said don't use it for loosening the nuts - except there is a toggle to change between tighten and loosen. Why have that if they don't want you to undo nuts?

May 2, 2020
This thread made me go and read the instructions for my Hilka torque wrench. There's no mention of setting it to zero when storing.

The only odd thing was that it said don't use it for loosening the nuts - except there is a toggle to change between tighten and loosen. Why have that if they don't want you to undo nuts?
Hi
As far as I am aware you should set to zero when in storage to releive the pressure on the spring and the toggle to change direction is to torque left hand threads.

Gra

Nov 11, 2009
Hi
As far as I am aware you should set to zero when in storage to releive the pressure on the spring and the toggle to change direction is to torque left hand threads.

Gra
My Argos one instructions say to relieve spring pressure too. But it’s something I have always done from my apprenticeship days.

Oct 17, 2010

When I worked on my motor( age has slowed me down) and I was replacing a delicate item, like a glow plug, that are apt to snap off if you're not careful. I would always use my torque wrench to remove then.

My G plugs are torqued too 10nm and when I removed one, ,I set the wrench to 11-12 nm if it didn't release at that. more WD40 needed or take to the Indy. I have always zeroed them when putting away

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
As has been said, you must always release the spring tension on the torque wrench after use.

May 10, 2020

Left or right handed threads

Reactions: JTQ and DaveA1

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts