torsion bar?

Mar 26, 2006
Visit site
I have a fairly old Compass Citizen 340 caravan on a Knott chassis.

This has started to lean to one side and is now jammed against the underside of the wheel arch.

I am told that I need a new torsion bar. Does anyone know if this is correct, where to get a replacement, and how the mechanism actually works?

We live in York

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was not aware Knott made chassis's but they certainly made and still do brakes.

The 'Torsion ' bar is rather like a flat spring which is twisted rather than flexing up and down. It is often a length of square bar to which the swinging arm of the wheel is attached at one end and the other end mounted solidly to the chassis. As the wheel then hits a bump the bar is twisted as the wheel goes up and being 'spring steel' it will twist back as the wheel comes back down.

Whather or not you can buy an 'off the shelf' replacement, being a spring you may well find a local spring manufacture who will make a replacement. Bigest problem I can think off is setting the 'pre-load' much the same as a roller blind! but probable far more difficult

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I'm not entirely familiar with the set up you have, but I do know a bit about torsion bars. They work exactly as Gary says but do you know for certain that the bar has broken? I've never seen one break, and I think its more likely the ball race or roller bearing which carries the axle tube which will have given way. If it is the torsion beam, setting the ride height shouldn't be a worry as they're usually splined into the carrier.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I remember having a VW Beetle with torsion bar suspension

It was quite the in thing for us young lads to pull the bar out and reinsert a spline or two out to lower the suspension and give negative wheel camber

With 30+ bhp that was really fast round corners then !!

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I remember having a VW Beetle with torsion bar suspension

It was quite the in thing for us young lads to pull the bar out and reinsert a spline or two out to lower the suspension and give negative wheel camber

With 30+ bhp that was really fast round corners then !!
you lived dangerously back then!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
m

Why not try this route - http://www.explorer-group.co.uk/ they may have records of the chassis type and supply or direct you to parts supplier or repairer.

Then - http://www.compass-owners-club.co.uk/home_page.htm they may well be able to help and advise or have a member who can.

As a last shot - http://www.avonride.com/About%20us.html.

In the past I had some chassis parts copied and made for a non galvanised chassis that rusted. A repairer and an engineer shop directed me to a a company that did steel sheet work, they folded and pressed the parts in a couple of days. Once you know what you need you should be able to find somebody to make it if you can't buy off the shelf.

Mar 26, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for your help.

Based on what has been posted, I am now not sure if it is the torsion bar!

I have taken the wheel and damper off. The whole assembly (axle, wheel hubs etc) is bolted to the chassis.

A (split) rubber bush can be seen at the face of the outer axle.

If anyone wants, I can email a couple of photos.

thanks

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I think you need to speak to Avonride, www.avonride.com

(as above).

I'm not sure, but you may find you have to have the suspension unit replaced as it is may not be a part that can be replaced.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts