Tortoise on tour?

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi there, my parents are the proud owners of the worlds' fastest tortoise Harry. Harry can run as fast as a small dog, I kid you not, comes when he's called and is in training to beat Houdini at any given moment - usually ending with him upside down on his shell, legs in the air!

My parents are very worried about whether or not to take him away with them in their small camper van. Harry has his own little house, complete with running water, carpets and a tv - sorry, I'm joking, but he wants for nothing, let me tell you! He has a wooden lidded box and a run which can be transported. My Dad in particular would be worried about him being stolen, but I've assured him that if he stays on a more reputable site, and secures him as best he can, he should be quite safe. Am I right? Do you think he would be? Apart from the novelty factor - have many of you seen tortoises on sites?

Harry is a small Mediterranean spur thigh tortoise and proudly sports wounds on his shell from being savaged by a terrier years ago and also a very neat hole drilled into his shell (painlessly I hasten to add) by my late Grandfather - so that Harry could be kept on a very long piece of string. He is about 70 years old.

I am banned from having him to stay at my house as he goes on hunger strike when I have him, pining for my Mum and Dad's voice. I have to hand feed him (not easy and his bite hurts!) My Dad even asked me once to bathe Harry in luke warm water in my kitchen sink and to sing to him in a bid to get him to eat.

He didn't.

I don't think he liked the song "Hurry Up Harry" by The Clash!

Seriously though, will he be OK or is it not worth the stress?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
We've taken ours there is a post "Rosie at Rivendale" not had a problem so far we have a net over her run if we go out she is microchipped as well but of course if she was stolen it would be difficult.I am hoping someone will develop a trackable microchip small enough to insert , cant see it being far away the way electronics are going

Feb 8, 2006
Visit site
We too take 2 four year old tortoises who go caravanning and they are both micro chipped which was done before they where purchased them. There next outing will be the end of July.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts