Touring caravan as permanent holiday home?

Jul 23, 2005
Visit site
We are a family of four (including two small children) and have been put off static caravans due to the high purchase cost and ongoing site costs. As such, we are now investigating buying a 6 birth touring caravan (really like the Bailey Carolina) with a view to siting it permanently (or semi-permanently) on a site somewhere, as a cheaper alternative.

Does anybody know if touring sites are happy to have touring vans pitched on their sites for long periods? Do they offer long-term or annual rates, and if so how much is it likely to be? And finally, are they happy to let you leave the caravan on-site out of season?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some commercial sites are happy to have touring vans pitched all year - but they won't necessarily be the best sites. If a site can fill its pitches with tourers, then it can secure a higher turnover than from permanently sited units.

The C&CC has some seasonal pitches, but not on the busiest sites. As a "traditional" tourer, I would be pretty hacked off to arrive at a site to be told it was full, but to see that the pitches were occupied by vans not being used that particular weekend.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some commercial sites are happy to have touring vans pitched all year - but they won't necessarily be the best sites. If a site can fill its pitches with tourers, then it can secure a higher turnover than from permanently sited units.

The C&CC has some seasonal pitches, but not on the busiest sites. As a "traditional" tourer, I would be pretty hacked off to arrive at a site to be told it was full, but to see that the pitches were occupied by vans not being used that particular weekend.
Agree with Mike P I also dislike it when you go to a site and find it full of deserted seasonal vans. I also think that many, not all, sites that have a high number of seasonal/residential caravans tend to look like a refugee camp. The flower pots, step ladders storage units around the caravan and of course the large red gas bottles - look horrible. I believe that sites that want to cater for this type of customer shold not take tourers

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Paul

We were going to go for a static caravan as a holiday home but the cost, site fees and being tied to and at the mercy of one particular caravan park put us off. We eventually went to the caravan show and came away with a Abbey GTS Vouge 420, there are just the 2 of us.

We have found a wonderfull site in Wareham and we have a seasonal pitch which lasts from Mar to Oct and then if we want we can store it there and when we want to visit in the winter they will tow it out for us.

The joy is that if we want we can easily move sites next year or the year after.

It cost us

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts