Touring Ireland

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s a big place with a number of different geographic areas. Where are you thinking of going. We went to the Ring of Kerry and Galway/Connemara two years ago and it was beautiful. Not caravan touring country more one where you pitch the van and explore an area solo then move the van to another area. Don’t underestimate the distances. Irish miles are really big.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at the ferry from Pembroke to Rosslare. Seems expensive. I know they offer discount through the C&CC but even so. Cheaper to take ferry to Belfast but then a long drive.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Grahamh said:
I was looking at the ferry from Pembroke to Rosslare. Seems expensive. I know they offer discount through the C&CC but even so. Cheaper to take ferry to Belfast but then a long drive.

Lets face it it's called touring .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
quote="tadhgocuilleain" post=432718]As I mentioned in my introduction post, I mostly wild camp so I've decided to start a thread where I post photos of my caravan around Ireland.

My wife and I went away this weekend for the first time in our 2006 Coachman Pastiche 520/4. Here's a photo of where we stopped for lunch on Friday:
34673778351_9639b0989a_c.jpg

And here's the wild camp we stayed at for the weekend:
34673769151_4806e62035_c.jpg
[/quote]

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The above photos were from a forum member. TAG. Who sent some lovely photos of of grid caravanning in Ireland

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You haven’t said where you plan to visit in Ireland. Arriving in Belfast you could go over to th NW corner of Northern Ireland see Giants Causeway and beautiful countryside. Derry is worth a visit. Then travel down into the Republic along the Wild Atlantic Way. But do allow plenty of time for the travels. If you have time the journey down to Galway City takes in some beautiful coastal and inland scenery. We found the Ring of Kerry a bit of a disappointment as too many tourist coaches but the Dingle and the inland mountains of the Ring were far better.
You need to do some research onto where you want to see then look for sites whilst checking distances.
The Pembroke Rosslare ferry isn’t cheap but it’s a very civilised ship which does get you down into the southern part of the Republic hassle free.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
If you're planning to go this year and can get your ferry booking in quickly, Stena Line are offering 20% off all bookings made by 21st March (2 days' time)! for crossings taken by 15th December. This is valid on either Holyhead-Dublin or Fishguard-Rosslare crossings and you don't have to use the same crossing for the outward and return journeys. Similar discounts have been offered in January for the past 2 years.

There's no real advantage in using either the Fishguard or Pembroke crossings to Rosslare (other than perhaps timings) - Fishguard is a slightly longer drive followed by a slightly shorter crossing so take your pick.

We took advantage of such an offer last summer to sail from Holyhead into Dublin, spend a few days in Galway (we stayed with friends but there's a caravan site in nearby Salthill), a week in Connemara at the Renvyle Beach caravan park and a few nights in Cahir at the Apple Farm, where we visited Cahir Castle, Michaelstown Caves (I think) and the Rock of Cashel.

We would definitely recommend that trip but just be aware that the road from Galway onto Connemara (I think it's the N59) is in an appalling condition and you'll need to drive VERY slowly over bumps and potholes on some stretches. But boy is it worth the reward - it is possibly one of the most beautiful parts of the world you can see.

I did pen an article to the magazine about it so you might be able to read more one day ... :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We travelled from Rosslare to west coast of Ireland. Initially nice roads and thought this is brilliant. That was short lived as we then came across some roads that were absolutely dreadful so plan your journey with care. We stopped at Cork on the way back and that was basically a waste of time. I thought it rained a lot in the UK but Ireland beats England hands down when it comes to rain. However our stay on the west coast was very pleasant rain or no rain and we enjoyed the trip thoroughly.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Buckman said:
We travelled from Rosslare to west coast of Ireland. Initially nice roads and thought this is brilliant. That was short lived as we then came across some roads that were absolutely dreadful so plan your journey with care. We stopped at Cork on the way back and that was basically a waste of time. I thought it rained a lot in the UK but Ireland beats England hands down when it comes to rain. However our stay on the west coast was very pleasant rain or no rain and we enjoyed the trip thoroughly.

Spot on, thats why we took the car and stayed in B&Bs and hired cottages.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
considering the cost of ferries and the roads - that was mostly the reason for my post, may just fly and hire a car this time..... but why are the Irish ferries so expensive?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Grahamh said:
considering the cost of ferries and the roads - that was mostly the reason for my post, may just fly and hire a car this time..... but why are the Irish ferries so expensive?

It’s market place economics. When we went on the daytime sailing from Pembroke to Rosslare the ferry was virtually empty as it was for the daytime return crossing. This was in the first two weeks of September. Also it’s a captive audience unless you want to go the only other routes Ireland to France

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes , almost cheaper to take the ferry to Spain. You would think that it would make better sense to have a busy ferry with a lower price..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts