touring west to east coast of scotland

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Franklin,

We toured from East to West this year in May......we also did a smaller tour last year.

Mostly Caravan Club sites:-

Bunree ( 8 miles south of Fort William ) superb views over the water.

Morvich.....mountains almost touching your caravan on this site!! Skye can be visited for the day, and Plockton is well worth a visit.

Kinlochewe CC site.In a stunning area,and Applecross is a MUST to visit.....going up the Pass of the Cattle ( but NOT with the caravan )Very good food in the local hotel.

Single track roads are common up there,but drive sensibly and there are no problems.

Culloden CC site.Very handy for Inverness.Beautifully looked after,slightly sloping.

These were all the sites we used last year.

Trip no.2.

Brora ( Dalchalm ) on the north east coast.Very pleasant site behind the golf course.Access to the beach from the site ( 5 mins )

Altnaharra ( Grummore ) This is a no facility site although it does have some electrics.On the shores of Loch Naver.A wonderful site for chilling out.Bird watchers paradise and fishing from your caravan door! 20 miles from the nearest shops and fuel.

North of Ullapool is Ardmair Point.( not a Club site ) In the most beautiful area on a peninsula overlooking the water.Well run site with spotless facilities.Well worth a visit. They do have a web site for you to look at.

A lot of people seemed to be going north to Durness which for us will be on next year's list.

I hope this gives you food for thought.GO early May or Sept if you wish to miss the midges ( June to Aug )

G

We've twice travelled from Fort William around the coast and back to Edinburgh. Walking at Ben Nevis and getting my wife to gross the climbers river bridge made from three wires has to be one of the best memories along with Highland Cows wandering along the coastal roads.

The H&S freaks have probably had the climbers wire rope bridge banned but I would be interested to know if it still there.

I seem to remember it was near Ulapool we found a beautiful spectacular deserted sandy beach and went for a memorable swim there.

You must try it as it an experience you will never forget and I dont's see why we should be the only fools to have tried it and believed that the Gulf Stream truly warmed the waters of the west coast. If anyone tells you it not possible for sea water to be liquid and below freezing point in July on a fine warm sunny day just take a swim ;-)

G

It is a long time ago that we last went, but I would go for the caravan club sites for sure.

The midge factor can be a tiresome as mentioned above, make sure you address the problem before you get there.

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Linnhe Lochside holiday park in Corpach, 5 miles out of Fort william on the road to Mallaig is excellent. Well kept site with beautiful views.

Off to Loch Ness Hiliday park this weekend for a bit of Monster spotting. Let you know how it is. The pics on the web site look good and speaking to the owner on the phone, she was very helpful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts