TOW BAR RATING

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Hi All... Just after some critical advice... I have purchased a 65 plate Mazda CX5 Sport Nav AWD automatic.. It had a Witter detachable swan neck towbar on it already.. Bonus???.. Well may be??.. The towbar has a D value of 12KN... Is this rating suitable to tow a caravan of 1475kg (a caravan we are looking at purchasing).. I have weighed the vehicle on a weighbridge and with me in it it weighs 1840kg.. so the 1475kg is well within the 85% limit and the cars theoretical 2000kg towing limit.. It`s just a question if the towbar`s rating is suitable,,
,Just in case it matters the towbar S vakue is 135kg.. The car is capable of 88kg and the van is approx 75kg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would get under the car and see the serial number/part number for the towbar, and do the same for the detachable towball then check it out with Witter or a local Witter authorised agent. 75kg noseweight for the caravan seems a bit low, are you sure that is correct. Sometimes I find it easier to take a macro photo of the towbar as getting under the car I can't actually see the number codes even with glasses on. But with the CX5 you may not find it so difficult given its higher off of the ground.

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Thanks .. just been on to Witter as also recommended by a towbar company I spoke to...... and it is favourable,, Towbar is rated at 2000KG...

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
I am just about to get a CX5 diesel Auto, and it is being fitted with a Mazda tow-bar and harness.

The Mazda site https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/accessories/mazda-cx-5/2017-05/transport-/KB8MV3920/#yHpeRahKviZPFEZt.97 shows the D-Value at 10.8KN and vertical load of 84kg.

I was interested in your question, as I have answered my own loading question.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
CarlosGee said:
.... The car is capable of 88kg and the van is approx 75kg

When cars are sold in the EU inc UK, the tow bar has to be type approved for the vehicle, so its unlikely it will have the wrong tow bar fitted as Witter have confirmed for you. One of the other criteria is the nose load or S value of the tow ball must be a minimum of 4% of the vehicles towed weight limit, so with a limit of 2000kg the S value must be at least 80kg so all that is fine.

However where I do have a concern is with your statement that the caravans nose load is approxt 75Kg, Unless you measure it you cannot possibly know what it is, because it will vary depending on how you load the caravan.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
CarlosGee said:
.... The car is capable of 88kg and the van is approx 75kg

When cars are sold in the EU inc UK, the tow bar has to be type approved for the vehicle, so its unlikely it will have the wrong tow bar fitted as Witter have confirmed for you. One of the other criteria is the nose load or S value of the tow ball must be a minimum of 4% of the vehicles towed weight limit, so with a limit of 2000kg the S value must be at least 80kg so all that is fine.

However where I do have a concern is with your statement that the caravans nose load is approxt 75Kg, Unless you measure it you cannot possibly know what it is, because it will vary depending on how you load the caravan.

I read the OP statement on nose load at 75kg as the caravan’s limit which I thought was lower than normal. But the OP could be referring to the noseweight of the caravan which of course can vary depending on loading and how it is measured. As we all know!

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments.. yes I was reffering to the caravan`s nose weight which was why it was only approx,, I haven`t bought the van yet and this figure was what the seller has stated they tend to load at so nothing hard and fast... If my Mazda has a rating of 88kg I have a little bit to play with. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts