tow bars and car insurance

May 19, 2010
Visit site
We recently by chance found out that having a tow bar made our car insurance void. I know it sound stupid but it never crossed our mind that a tow bar was seen as an accessorie. So had to rapidly cancel insurance and actually speak to insurance company and find out if they actually insure tow bars- probably everyone out there is saying its an obvious thing checked the drop down on modifications on caomparison sight and its not mentioned should be made very clear dont want anyone to do the same as us.

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
I also heard this, just to be on the safe side I called my insurance company, the agent fell about laughing and said that they had never heard of that, and that they assumed that practically everybody with a 4x4 would have a towbar! However he said that he would log the call on my record.

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
Susan - probably only void because you hadn't told them that you had a towbar fitted. It's a modification to the car, and consequently Insurance companies expect to be informed after any modification - even a spoiler.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Susan - probably only void because you hadn't told them that you had a towbar fitted. It's a modification to the car, and consequently Insurance companies expect to be informed after any modification - even a spoiler.
Hi Eddie, I know it sounds stupid but it just never crossed our minds the bloke who fitted it never said and i know feel like a right numpty now!! the insurance company just say any modifications and didnt think a tow bar just didnt come into that. we found out as my father had bought a second hand car and just mentioned it had one when he was swopping the insurance over from the other car and they said it would make his insurance void so when i checked with them they said there underwriter would not accept it. Anyway we have learnt our lesson dont want anyone to feel like a prat!!

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Sadly insurance companies are less trustworthy than gypsies horsethieves and MP's,no offence intended to the travelling fraternity,just a saying

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Sadly insurance companies are less trustworthy than gypsies horsethieves and MP's,no offence intended to the travelling fraternity,just a saying
I think that the comparison website should make it clear on there modifications drop for idiots like us that a tow bar is seen as a mod then it can filter companies who will not insure. The co op (eco) will not insure cars with tow bars full stop so even if we had told them at the begining we would have had to change luckily is only cost

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
Just had a towbar fitted to new car - made enquiry with Direct Line - "Yes" they have to be informed - it is a modification - no extra charge.They sent out amended schedule showing the towbar fitment as a modification.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully no one will make the same mistake but it would be handy if it was a bit more obvious and would save a lot of hassle especially if mentioned in the comparison website to weed out the ones who dont. Just received brand new insurance documents to say we are modified feel like a girl racer at wrongside of 40!!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
My vehicle had a two bar fitted from the day I collected it and the tow bar was not regarded as a modification as it does not make the vehicle more stealable ot go faster. Actually a two bar is probably a theft deterrent as a vehicle with one on may be more difficult to sell on. I have never come across an insurance company that regards a tow bar as a modification. So if you fit an upgraded alarm or upgrade to an electric aerial is this regarded as a modification? If you put on better tyres that have identical specs but are not the same as supplied, is this a modification. Technically yes but how many people report it as a modification?

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Had the same problem a few years ago.

When I asked if I had to tell them I had a tow bar fitted I was told the policy could be null & void.

I asked if they could check their records as I had another policy with them.

My caravan was insured with the same company.

They still said I had to tell them I had tow bar fitted.

Crazy.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I know its as clear as mud!! I got a reply back from confused after a second email they basically said they were aware of this and were currently collating information from everyone to update the website but it will take some time. Which is better than nothing shows it must be a long standing issue. I was told that a tow bar could cause more damge if there was an accident but does that mean these companies wont insure 4x4 vehichles that already have tow bars?

May 22, 2008
Visit site
I have to say a big thank you for this post as I have to admit I never thought of a tow bar as an accessory/modification. I'm shopping around for my insurance at the moment and the websites I've got quotes from all have tow bars as a modification. Lesson learned, check everything in the quote matches the car as it is, inc. sidesteps for insurance to be valid.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just contacted LV=Frizzel to notify change of vehicle and they confirmed that they need to be advised that a towbar is fitted but they are not interested in what you tow with it. I have had a towbar for at least the last 35 years and it never occured to me to inform them! Oops! Jim.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
ever since a friend had a claim refuse for not informing them of a coach line he put on as it was a modification I have always informed insurance companies of every thing that is not standard.Ally wheels, towbar,spotlights,Radio ect ect There is nothing less trustworthy than an insurance co when it comes to paying out

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I find it VERY clear that fitting a tow bar is a modification or accessory, having watched various tow bars being fitted.

Sometimes part off the original bumper are removed, on my A4 the alli cross bar was taken out! most cars have the two support brackets removed.

And then often the bottom of the plastic bumper has a cut out to take the bar.

Then we go to the socket wiring, often the wiring is done on the cheap, so the loom is NOT vehicle specific, the charging and fridge supply often requires a supply cable running the length of the car, and so on.

Unfortunately it is NOT clear to some comparison sites, and even insurance companies make a meal of it.

BUT i always make sure the insurance is informed that a bar is, or will be fitted, and that i tow a caravan.

With Saga this year, took out the insurance at xmas, still waiting for my free parker pen, no impressed makes one wonder what performance i have if i make a claim?

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I once read about a claim being rejected because a roo bar had been fitted ..... makes vehicle longer than standard. Also read about premium being increased because of a very expensive paint job.

Tow bars can increase damage? Only to the bloke behind who hits you, and that is usually his problem. But towbar might protect your car in a gentle tail ender. On the other hand, the bloke who hits you may be insured with your ccompany.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Most of these rejected insurance claims involving accesories added would be rejected by a court of law if they had no bearing on the cause of an accident. Insurance companies will always try it on so tyo save the hassle, best is to advise them of any added extras that are not standard including wheel trims.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I hope that putting this post on at least one or two people will realise that insurance companies should be informed of tow bars. Hindsight it great and as i have said we just didnt realise and i was genuienly upset when i thought if something had happened our insurance would have been void id like to avoid that happening to someone else. I think Insurance companies should be alot clearer as there seems to be a mixed answer from alot of the companies. I hope the one i used will rectify that soon. Also when talking to companies direct instead of saying modifications etc SAY TOW BAR!! Just my opinion. Anyway it was rectified and sorted quickly.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Insurance companies are about as tricky as trying to push a gallon of oil up a steep hill with a tea spoon.

They will try anything to get out of paying a claim. I've known them try to get out because higher spec tyres wre fitted than standard Ie V rated 150mph+ instead of H rated 130mph, when the car was actually stationary when the un-insured idiot ran into it.

So just for peace of mind it's worth declaring tow bars. What i do is telephone the company, inform them verbally and get a name + address to confirm in writing by recorded post. That way you have in the eyes of the law done all that you possably could to give correct information. That way, if you do end up having to fight in court, any respectable judge would see right through any claim that the insurance company was not informed properly and throw the book at them plus an order for comensation to you for distress. Magestrates & judges hate insurance companies just as much as we do.

So basically inform them of all non-factory fitted items that come on a standard model of your car and you have forfilled your part of the bargain.

jwa

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi, when I saw this I worried a bit and checked with my insurers. They state the following which was a relief:

We can cover your car with any of the modifications below and we don't need to know about them.

Air conditioning

Alloy wheels worth less than

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts