Tow car Insurance Rip offs.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Renewal 31.12.2022.
Last year premium £297.00
This latest renewal £397.00

One no fault accident. Car damaged whilst unattended in supermarket car park. Miscreant owned up. His Insurers dealt with everything, total bill £1600.00.
Even though not my fault and my own Insurers agreed let TP Insurers deal I am penalised! Testing the on line quotes there is a penalty even having a no blame incident. The World has gone bonkers🤬🤬

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Renewal 31.12.2022.
Last year premium £297.00
This latest renewal £397.00

One no fault accident. Car damaged whilst unattended in supermarket car park. Miscreant owned up. His Insurers dealt with everything, total bill £1600.00.
Even though not my fault and my own Insurers agreed let TP Insurers deal I am penalised! Testing the on line quotes there is a penalty even having a no blame incident. The World has gone bonkers🤬🤬

Dusty, it's regrettable but this is not a new aspect of insurance. My wife had a car come around the bend towards her on her side of the road, and it was pirouetting around is "centre of rotation". Net result was that her Sabb was written off. Her insurance was increased even. though it was a no fault accident. (2007) Similarly I had Volvo 740 estate written off when on a barely lighted 40 mph country road at night I braked to avoid a child who had run straight out of their gate to go across the road.The Peugeot behind had just come in behind me after overtaking another car, and seeing that there was an oncoming car he tucked in behind me. I braked, he did not. Nett result my insurance increased the following year.(2001) We have even had it happen when an underfloor water pipe burst and created a flood. It's a facet of insurance.

I strongly believe that the insurers being in the risk business do not like risk. But the probability statistics probably contradict me.

PS and the increased premium may well be levied in years 2-5 too, if our experience is anything to go by.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The actuarial business has it under their bonnet that if your car is damaged by a third party - even if you were not there at the time - statistically you are more likely to be involved in an accident in the short to medium future, hence your premium goes up just in case. It means that if the other party pays up (with wonder wallet fillers) and choses not to tell his/her insurer and you don't tell yours you don't suffer the premium increase. Granted technically you are probably committing fraud but nonetheless the insurance business has brought it upon itself.

Logic? What logic?

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
We had a 'no fault' incident with a foreign lorry whilst on the M25 some years ago. After a prolonged battle with thw waggon's owners in Bulgaria (The driver failed to report the accident) my insurers decided to go to court. Result ? The other party settled immediately, and my insurers repaid my excess - AS WELL AS the increase in premium applied when I renewed in the intermedium.
Who was I insured with ? Saga. Guess who I'm still insured with :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We had a 'no fault' incident with a foreign lorry whilst on the M25 some years ago. After a prolonged battle with thw waggon's owners in Bulgaria (The driver failed to report the accident) my insurers decided to go to court. Result ? The other party settled immediately, and my insurers repaid my excess - AS WELL AS the increase in premium applied when I renewed in the intermedium.
Who was I insured with ? Saga. Guess who I'm still insured with :)
Saga do have a good reputation. Wonder if uninsured loss insurance would help in recovering excess and additional premium for a no fault prang?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It is common for insurance costs to go up due to a no fault claim. However, it is not necessarily always the case. In a case I had about 5 years ago, Where, as I turned left, the rear of the van went to the right (as they do), and caught a lorry's mirror, which in turn broke the driver's door glass.

I admitted liability and insurance companies were notified. In my case, my insurance was being renewed. My company then charged me a chunk more as I was involved in an incident. But they said, that if no claim was made within 6 months, the extra would be returned.

In the event, no claim was made as the lorry company decided not to pursue the case. ( I think they felt partly responsible as the driver had attempted to get out of my way). So I paid no extra despite being at fault.

It shows to me that the companies are purely claim driven, as opposed to whose fault it is.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife had a small bump at the a supermarket was not her fault but we repaired it ourselves but even so the insurance went up ..

May 7, 2012
Visit site
A lot of insurers do this although frankly there is no more chance of you having an accident next year than last. It is a rip off and something should be done about it.
Not all insurers do increase your premium though as we have not had this problem with Aviva but knowing if a quote from another insurer is inflated because of the accident or not is not possible unless you ask for a quote without the accident declared, just to test them.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
After discussion with Tesco Bank premium reduced to £353, still a lot more than last year.
I know I have to declare the no fault accident. It’s registered now on CLUE..
Good news Aviva are £313 and LV £315. Same t&c as Tesco plus full declaration of accident.
Aviva were the TP Insurers and were excellent dealing with my claim through their own repairer network.

Any one know how good LV are?
It‘s a shame to move Insurers every year but sadly loyalty counts for nothing now.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
After discussion with Tesco Bank premium reduced to £353, still a lot more than last year.
Good news Aviva are £313 and LV £315. Same t&c as Tesco plus full declaration of accident.
Aviva were the TP Insurers and were excellent dealing with my claim through their own repairer network.

It‘s a shame to move Insurers every year but sadly loyalty counts for nothing now.
We’ve been with LV for some years after we parted company from NU. We have had two flood claims both of which were handled very well. Fortunately since we left NU we have not had a car claim. One thing I like about LV is that renewals were/are competitive and so we stick with them for car, home and travel, breakdown/recovery too.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

For some years LV wouldn't quote for my car insurance, never found out why - but last year they offered a cracking multi-car deal on our two cars together - this year the premium was jacked up way beyond their competitors so I ended up with Churchill - who don't do multi-car but happened to be cheapest for both.

I've no idea what any of them are like when you claim - my last claim was dealt with by VW Ensurance (third party claims handlers) who just dealt with the third party insurers including getting my excess back.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you have Which you can see the criteria used for ranking car insurers. LV came second behind NFU, and unlike some ratings sites Which include how claims are handled, not just the ease of taking out the policy. we have a multi car policy with a discount by being member of Boundless, and having home insurance with LV too.

This may help.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I have had car, travel, and building and contents with LV for getting on for a decade - possibly more - and I have no complaints whatsoever. At renewal they tell you what your previous premium was so you can compare. Until the latest I have never seen my car premium rise more than about 25 quid, and my house premium varies by even less. What is more they are a pleasure to deal with and have UK call handling so you can even understand them!
The best bit is that you get discount if you have two or more polices with them.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I am the same as OC, Boundless membership giving decent terms with LV (Frizzell) for home and motor for around 40 years now. With motor, I left them for a few years as the premiums rocketed. But came back when they quoted a reasonable price again. I have had a house claim and a few car claims in that time. ALL handled very proffesionally.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We still have Saga for our home but my wife use them with her car and breakdown cover when she working and they were great but now she like to change each year because we find we get a competitive price offered

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The only dealings I had with LV was as a third party. They were quite frankly atrocious and simply told me my valid claim was not until I threatened to take them to court and they then just paid up when they realised I was serious. Some young half trained person tried to tell me I was wrong when I had been handling claims for over forty years .

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The only dealings I had with LV was as a third party. They were quite frankly atrocious and simply told me my valid claim was not until I threatened to take them to court and they then just paid up when they realised I was serious. Some young half trained person tried to tell me I was wrong when I had been handling claims for over forty years .
I've also found that NFU are atrocious to deal with as a third-party - although it's good that LV and NFU try to protect their own customers by being difficult to get money out of!

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've also found that NFU are atrocious to deal with as a third-party - although it's good that LV and NFU try to protect their own customers by being difficult to get money out of!
Yet both come out consistently at or very near the top in Which survey reviews. Just shows it’s a minefield.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had a big claim with NFU and they handled it brilliantly and resolved issues quickly.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I must remind forum members that the rules for use of this forum state:
'Avoid "calling out" or attacking specific brands or companies in an effort to shame them with your experience. Take specific complaints directly to that company so they can work with you to resolve'
Any further comments which try to name and shame insurance companies will be deleted in accordance with the above rule

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Most insurers offer a "No Claims" discount. Don't confuse it with a "No Fault Discount" If you make a claim regardless of fault or value, the fact its a claim means you have affected you "No Claims" rating.

Even a no fault claim involves the insurer having to do work to resolve and to recover from another company and that takes time and effort both of which have a cost.

Elsewhere we have heard that insurance companies have ascertained from previous claims that if you have made a claim they consider you to have a higher risk of possibly being involved in subsequent claim incident, so they load your premium.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Most insurers offer a "No Claims" discount. Don't confuse it with a "No Fault Discount" If you make a claim regardless of fault or value, the fact its a claim means you have affected you "No Claims" rating.

Even a no fault claim involves the insurer having to do work to resolve and to recover from another company and that takes time and effort both of which have a cost.

Elsewhere we have heard that insurance companies have ascertained from previous claims that if you have made a claim they consider you to have a higher risk of possibly being involved in subsequent claim incident, so they load your premium.
In my case not entirely true. See#9. One phone call, no claim number nor any intervention by my own Insurer. They agreed ok for me to deal direct with The TP Insurer who were first class. Quite frankly it is an electronic rating tool built into their quotation system. If you were able to speak to an underwriter things may be different.
Ironically the cheapest new Insurer turned out to be Aviva the TP Insurer, identical cover as previous and £86.00 cheaper!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In my case not entirely true. See#9. One phone call, no claim number nor any intervention by my own Insurer. They agreed ok for me to deal direct with The TP Insurer who were first class. Quite frankly it is an electronic rating tool built into their quotation system. If you were able to speak to an underwriter things may be different.
Ironically the cheapest new Insurer turned out to be Aviva the TP Insurer, identical cover as previous and £86.00 cheaper!
Have moved across to Aviva now?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dusty i hope you be very happy with your new insurer (y)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts