Tow car suitability

Apr 24, 2006
Visit site
We took delivery of our first caravan late November 2005; a brand new Bailey Pageant Champagne. We had it delivered to Stowford Meadows where we will have a seasonal pitch this year .The idea being to get used to the caravan in the first year without the hassle of towing. At least that's what we're telling ourselves ! The reality is that after consulting three different caravan dealerships within 15 miles of our South Cheshire home we traded my wifes' beloved Toyota Corolla for a Rav4 2.0 GX 5 door (petrol)on the assurance from all 3 companies that the Rav was perfectly adequate to tow the Champagne. The Rav has a towing limit of 1500 and the MTPLM of the Champagne is 1350 so no problem. Until of course we delved a little deeper and understood the 85% recommendation: The Rav's kerbweight is 1385, almost a 100% match. Not recommended for a newcomer to caravanning.So we cancelled the towbar fitting and raised the issue once again with the supplying dealer. The salesman accessed the website for checking the matches and confirmed once again that a) I was unlikely ever to load the Champagne to its MTPLM (correct as it happens since I calculate my load will be between 1251 and 1284, b)that a modern 4 wheel drive like the Rav was well capable and indeed on the continent we'd be able to tow up to 1500 and c)the people at the Caravan CLub needed to take into account real life !!

I am fully aware of the dictat "Buyer Beware" and am annoyed with myself for not doing more thorough research but the "trade" could have done more ! Caravan salesman as well as knowing their products should be much better versed in asking about the intended tow car and at that stage either suggesting an alternative caravan or the purchase of a suitable tow car. It would save a lot of unnecessary hassle and stress for newcomers like myself.

I would apprecaite feedback on my next steps,

1)Do I keep the Rav and if so could there be issues with my insurance due to the "perceived" close match

2)Economy is an issue and I have looked at LPG conversion. Coincidentally this would add 50 Kilos. Any feedback on Towing performance ?

3)Whilst I understand (now) the benefits of "torquey" diesels, does a petrol 4 wheel drive mitigate the differential between petrol and diesel to a greater or lesser extent?

4)If I go ahead and change the Rav, I though of buying a Seat Altea with the 2.0 TDI unit (I have it in my company Audi A3 and it is excellent ). Any feedback a) on the Altea as a tow car and b) on towing a Champagne with an Altea.

Sorry to be long winded but these issues have been annoying me for some time now and I do think the "trade" should be getting its act together and singing from the same hymn sheet .

john

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
One can discuss the advisability of sticking to the 85% recommendation until the cows come home. On the one hand it is a totally abitrary value that has no legal significance, on the other it's not a bad rule of thumb. In the end, one has to make a decision for one's self, by how much one is prepared to exceed the 85% figure, if faced with the question. Fact is that the higher you go, the more care you will have to take when towing and for caravans or other high sided trailers, 100% can be considered a realistic ultimate limit, even if the manufacturer allows more (usually, when specifying max. towloads, manufacturers don't distinguish between types of trailers).

As you have noted in your post, the 85% recommendation is unknown on the Continent and people generally tow what they're comfortable with so long as it's legal, but I am not aware of a higher accident rate with caravans as a result.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Yes, your right about doing your home work. When I started out three years ago, one magazine about buying caravans covered everything. I have heard that the Rav 4 is a terribly soft car without towing never mind towing. Get a decent diesel engined estate car like the Passat TDI 130bhp or Kia Sorento 4x4 etc, etc. Its all in the caravan magazines. WH Smith has a good selection.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If you tow within the vehicles towing limit, even as beginners, your car insurance won't increase your premium or void any claim as long as you inform them that you'll be towing. Since insurers will take every opportunity to load premiums, I regard this as evidence that towing at that level doesn't increase the risks involved.

A recent survey by Privilege Insurance found that just 4% of towers had (ever) had an on-road accident, most of them while towing horse-boxes!

As well as recommending 85%, the Caravan Club (and others) recommend a minimium power-to-train weight ratio of 40 bhp/ton but many caravanners are below that, particularly diesels.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts