Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
We have a citroen xantia 1.8i 16v, 1999. Can anyone tell us if we could tow a Bailey Ranger 510/4 1999. We are confused with all the figures. We have been told by the place we are buying the van from that it would be fine. Just looking for reassurance

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I believe the Xantia has a kerbweight of about 1200 or so kilos, and the Ranger 510 weighs about that too. You'd be around the 100% match, which isn't the end of the world, but getting the noseweight to suit the car may be tricky. Citroen, I believe, rate the Xantia at 1500kgs for towing but I think that with around 85hp? that might be a bit optimistic.

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
I believe the Xantia has a kerbweight of about 1200 or so kilos, and the Ranger 510 weighs about that too. You'd be around the 100% match, which isn't the end of the world, but getting the noseweight to suit the car may be tricky. Citroen, I believe, rate the Xantia at 1500kgs for towing but I think that with around 85hp? that might be a bit optimistic.
Thank's Craig I'm still a bit lost, we were told that at the caravan showroom that we would be 75%. How they worked that out I don't know. How do you get the noseweight to suit the car?

is it safe for us to tow this van by the time we pack it with things needed.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
The figures I can find, which may not be spot on but should be close, are 1240kgs kerbweight for the car, 1020kgs unladen for the 'van (1230max). If these are roughly accurate that's an 80% match with an empty 'van. The noseweight isn't as bad as I thought. Assuming your Citroen has a noseweight limit of about 75kgs you could load your 'van for good stability at anything upto about 1200kgs. Whether you could tow the 'van safely is down to how your car handles the 'van. Personally I think it would be just within the car's limits, but you'd need to be careful.

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
The figures I can find, which may not be spot on but should be close, are 1240kgs kerbweight for the car, 1020kgs unladen for the 'van (1230max). If these are roughly accurate that's an 80% match with an empty 'van. The noseweight isn't as bad as I thought. Assuming your Citroen has a noseweight limit of about 75kgs you could load your 'van for good stability at anything upto about 1200kgs. Whether you could tow the 'van safely is down to how your car handles the 'van. Personally I think it would be just within the car's limits, but you'd need to be careful.
Craig

I have the car book in front of me and they read as follows. Unladen weight 1 264 Gross vehicle weight 1 770 max on rear axel 850 Gross train weight 2 960, gross trailer weight (with brakes) 1 200, trailer nose weight 85. I don't see a kerb weight unless they use another name for it.

I not sure if this is any help. I am so grateful for all your help.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
The unladen weight is the kerbweight so I underestimated by about 25kilos. the noseweight should be fine then, the limit's higher than I thought. With a towing limit of 1200 kilos I'm right; you'd be right on the car's limit which would mean you could tow it, but I'd be concerned about how the outfit would behave in an unexpected situation. I'm sure if Lutz is around he'll have an opinion on this.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The noseweight and the towload can be considered separately. They are not necessarily related.

Kerbweights published by the manufacturers in their brochures are for guidance only. You will invariably find that the actual kerbweight will be higher than what you find printed.

I can't comment on the figures quoted by Craig because I'm touring at the moment and don't have access to the data back home. However, assuming his data is correct, with a bit of extra care, you should be OK.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
HI Yvonne,

You can check the figures for yourself on the whatTowCar web-site www.whattowcar.com and compute your own outfit, entering your own payloads for the car and caravan.

The whattowcar site was assembled by people to help other people, so you should double check their figures in case they made a mistake entering the details into the database.

With a normal car load (200 kg - that's two people and stuff in the boot) and 50 kg of stuff in the caravan - you get a match of 88% - and reading the report a bit further you'll see that they rate drive-ability as moderate - hill starts and 5th gear were the main issues - motorway driving was fine.

Regards, Robert

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
The noseweight and the towload can be considered separately. They are not necessarily related.

Kerbweights published by the manufacturers in their brochures are for guidance only. You will invariably find that the actual kerbweight will be higher than what you find printed.

I can't comment on the figures quoted by Craig because I'm touring at the moment and don't have access to the data back home. However, assuming his data is correct, with a bit of extra care, you should be OK.
Thank's Lutz,

We have be back to the caravan agents and told them of our worries and they have checked the car and van with towsure and they say it's fine.The figure came in at (79. something it was just under the 80 ) We pick the van up on Friday and I will keep you all posted to how we get on. Thank's everyone for your help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts