Tow hitch noise

Jul 1, 2019
Visit site
Hi all hope you ok towed my son van today not towed a van for about 15 yrs any way all went well other than I noticed a loud rubbing noise coming from tow hitch Could only here it if turning. Or going over a bumper. The tow bar on my pickup is brand new and never towed anything until today could it just be tow ball bedding in its an alko hitch on the van so think it as some sort of brake pads in it any help would be great please thank you

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is your pickup towball compatible with the caravans Alko hitch. The Alko compatible towball allows more movement of the caravans hitch. Most outlets or towbar fitters can supply a Alko compatible towball.

Did you remove the towball paint coat with fine emery or similar.

Did you clean the Alko hitch friction pads. I squirt brake cleaner and give a very light rub with fine emery and then resquirt.

Could also be the hitch overun assembly needs greasing but I would go for the towball towhitch first.

https://www.caravanguard.co.uk/news/greasing-your-caravans-overrun-assembly-and-corner-steadies-4073/

https://www.alko-tech.com/uk/towball

Jul 1, 2019
Visit site
Hi thanks for reply don’t no if it is compatible with alko hitch Nissan fitted it for me
Caravan as been standing all summer .no I did not clean the pads and no I did not remove the paint first from the tow ball not doing well I am I thank god for forums like this .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello Pond, here is a picture to show the difference between the two types.

towballs.jpg

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Clean off the paint until the metal is visible around the ball. Then I also give mine a brake cleaner clean before towing the caravan and from time to time clean the pads in the head similarly. Be especially careful if you tow other trailer to degrease the ball before hitching the caravan otherwise the hitch pads will be contaminated. As the pads grip the head of the towball some minor friction noise is sometimes apparent but not to any intrusive level.
If you have towed with the paint then be sure to clean the pads gently to ensure no paint is adhering to them,
There should be an indicator to show that the pads still have life - they are replaceable but not cheap!

Jul 1, 2019
Visit site
Hi thank you for all your help I will do that today the noise is a grinding noise and loud I will send a pic of my tow ball later once again thank you so much

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Pond01 said:
Ok not sure how to add a picture

Do a search and you will find the procedure. You have to upload it first to a third part hosting site. I use Postimage. Then using the second row down for sharing I copy it. Then if you follow the guidance for inserting it into this site it works fine.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
No need to send us a picture-simply get the tapemeasure out and check out the dimensions in this pdf. If it is Nissan Navara-recent, ours is most def Alko compatible;

This varies according the the stabiliser.

AKS 1300 = 65mm
AKS 2004 = 67mm
AKS 2007 = 60mm
AKS 3004 = 68mm

This measurement is taken from the centre of the towball to the nearest point of contact with the towing vehicle.

Insufficient clearance will prevent the stabiliser from correct articulation and could damage your car or possibly become detached.
Or go on Alko website-lots of info here; https://www.alko-tech.com/uk/faqs

ALSO well worth you checking all the bolts on your towbar-ball to bar and bar to car body are nice and tight-we thought our creaking was simply the towball needing a clean-but when that didn't solve it investigation turned out the bolts from bar to chassis had worked loose inspite of the shakeproof washers and the towbar was working its way off the car-mot test is supposed to check this but obviously they hadn't!

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
If it is a swan-neck or detachable towball (i.e, has no visible flange like above pictures) it should be ok with an AL-KO stabiliser hitch.

However, I have the same noise issue. My tow-ball paint has been removed, but I always get a creaking or grinding noise from the hitch. The only way I have found stops this noise is to not only clean and de-grease the ball with brake cleaner but also the inside of the hitch & friction pads too. I have to do this every time before I hitch-up. I went to Cornwall in July and cleaned the hitch and ball before leaving home, no noise. Spent 5 nights in Bude, and the return trip was to the sound of a creaking hitch. I now make sure the brake cleaner comes with me.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I periodically take the pads out and gently rub them with emery paper, to take the glaze off, to leave a mat finish on them. Then as been said, use plenty of brake cleaner.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Sorry not sure-just make sure they are tight! If it is a Navara it won't be swan neck- the suspension and ball position is high enough as is, but like the photo-the black not the gold one-just check the height of the ball ie length of neck-ours is fine!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts