Towcars & uprated weight plated caravan. A problem?

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
I am not sure which forum to post this in but as in the end it is towcar related I have posted it here. If I am wrong please move it.

One of the options on the Bailey Ranger that we have just purchased is to have the chassis plate uprated to 1250kg from 1150kg for £50. This does not involve changing the chassis in any way but is a better reflection of what the chassis can handle. It was explained to us that the lower weight is plated as standard so that users of lighter cars are not put off. As we will be fitting a motor mover etc the extra plated weight would be useful.

I have looked at the weights of various tow cars & cannot find many that this makes a great deal of difference to. What is the view here? If I have the extra plated weight am I going to make the caravan more difficult to sell when the time comes?

The thing that goes with this is what "weight" matters - the actual weight of the caravan or the plated weight - if stopped by the police etc? I had always thought it was the actual weight but the lady on the Caravan Club stand at the NEC said that if the plated weight of the caravan exceeded the kerb weight of the car there would be the assumption by the Police that the vehicle was illegal & that it would be up to the user to prove otherwise. This could be tricky if bits of the caravan were scattered around after an accident. I ask this because it might deter some buyers with smaller cars who would be plated safe at the lower weight but not at the uprated one despite the caravan being identical.

Chris

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Quote: "If the plated weight exceeded the kerbweight" it could be illegal. This is a load of rubbish unless you passed your driving test after the 1st January 1997 and you only have a category B licence. Otherwise, only if the actual weight exceeds the maximum permissible towload would it be illegal. On the other hand, it's not advisable to tow a caravan which weighs more than the kerbweight of the car even if the maximum towload that the car manufacturer allows is higher, but illegal it is not.

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Lutz,

I agree with you but it is the assumption of innocence or guilt that is new to me. The CC lady was clear that in her opinion if the plated weight of the caravan exceeded the towing limit or kerbweight of the car the Police would assume the outfit was illegal until it was proven otherwise. As I said this might be very tricky after some caravan demolishing accidents that I have seen.

Chris

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Provided the van's actual weight doesn't exceed it's plated weight AND the car's actual weight doesn't exceed it's plated weight AND the car and van total actual weight doesn't exceed the car's gross train weight, there can be no implication of guilt even if the van's actual weight exceeds the car's kerbweight.

Lutz's information is exactly right. Apart from those passing their test after 1/1/97 who haven't passed a B+E test, there's no such thing as a 100% rule.

The "lady on the Caravan Club stand at the NEC" is simply wrong.

Most vehicles have towing limits higher than their kerbweights and would be safe and legal towing at that weight so the advice given to you is nonsense.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Firstly, it was only the good lady's opinion and she did not substantiate it with any facts. Secondly, even if the police, at first sight, suspect that it may be illegal, it shouldn't be too difficult to prove otherwise.

4 conditions must be satisfied in order to be 100% legal if the weight of the trailer exceeds the kerbweight of the car:

1. You must have passed your driving test before the 1st January 1997 or you must have a category B&E licence.

2. The maximum permissible towload of the towing vehicle must be greater than the total axle load of the trailer (Note: axle load, NOT the total weight)

3. The combined noseweight and total axle load of the trailer (or caravan) must not exceed its MTPLM.

4. The noseweight must not exceed the lower of the two figures specified as maximum for the car and trailer, respectively.

TRENDING THREADS