Towing covers

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
I am debating whether to get one when we get our new Van, never had new before and getting a little paranoid about damage. Has anyone on here used them and if so are they worth it. Also is there any real difference between the major companies products? Do you buy the model specific cover?

Steve

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi Steve
We bought one when we got a new van for the same reasons as yourself, we bought a van specific cover, bit of a pain to fit if the wind gets up but would not travel without fitting. It does protect the front especially from road dirt.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We recently bought a generic (non specific) towing cover and used it for a very rainy trip with the caravan.
The cover kept the front of the caravan and the windows nice and clean so it served it's purpose and wasn't too much hassle to re-fit for the trip home in drier weather.
The cover came complete with a storage bag and the only issue for us was that after we arrived on site with a very wet cover I had to spread it out in the back of the truck to allow it to dry out.
If our caravan had been brand new I think I'd have opted for the more expensive made to measure cover to reduce the chances of adding any minor abrasions to the front panel of windows.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dont you have to have the front windows realy clean before you fit the cover for the trip home other wise you would get scratches from the cover, ? And dare I say it, how much do they add to the nose weight :unsure:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Dont you have to have the front windows realy clean before you fit the cover for the trip home other wise you would get scratches from the cover, ? And dare I say it, how much do they add to the nose weight :unsure:
The windows on our caravan were reasonably clean because we'd used our towing cover for the outward trip just after I cleaned the caravan, but I'd say that some minor abrasions to the windows would be possible.
There has to be an EU formula for working out the exact figure for added noseweight using a sky hook and a paper plate full of fresh air, multiplied by the drag coefficient of a greased ferret multiplied by 73.927 and divided by the length of time needed to check with local enforcement officers to see if there has to be an R in the month, but unfortunately the wording of the directive has yet to be translated into Swahili and is therefore yet to be released. :silly:

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
We purchased one for our van after I drove over a newly resurfaced road and the front of the van got covered in tar which proved impossible to remove. The tar spots stayed and the van was part exchanged with a speckled front

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts