towing with vauxhall zafira

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The set number of handbrake starts is what the EU Directive requires, but that does not mean to say that the car manufacturer does no more than that test to establish the maximum permissible towload. Any self-respecting manufacturer will have his own test procedure of which the legal requirement is just one item. Braking tests are most certainly also included, but also handling performance, etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Surfer,

You have certainly been trawling the internet for advice and the legal side of things. You have found two web pages that are of considerable interest, and I am grateful for that as I have not seen either of these previously.

One point to bear in mind, is that the second document is definitely out of date, as the UK regulations of trailer width are now harmonised with the EU, so even using Govt. web sites you do need to be careful about issues that might be under review.

Now to the detail of your posting. I am aware that some manufactures actually quote different max towed masses relating depending on the altitude (not really an issue in the UK) and degree of the incline. So it may be that under certain conditions (as specfied by the manufacture) you may have to de-rate the available loading margins.

As for the gross train mass issue, where you think you may be 110kg over loaded. Your assumption relies on the possibility that both the car and the caravan will be loaded to their maximum limits. If this is likely, then I respectfully suggest that perhaps the outfit is not big enough for your needs.

Don't forget that the offence of over loading is based on actual measured weights, and not just on the GVM and trailer MTPLM figure added together, So ignoring any driving licence restrictions you may have, mechanically you could have a car with prescribed maximum towed mass of 1500kg, and you can actually tow a trailer that has an MTPLM of 1600kg or more, provided it is not actually loaded above 1500kg

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Prof John L said:
I am aware that some manufactures actually quote different max towed masses relating depending on the altitude (not really an issue in the UK) and degree of the incline. So it may be that under certain conditions (as specfied by the manufacture) you may have to de-rate the available loading margins.
The EU Directive requires the towload to be specified at sea level. I know of no car manufacturer that actually quotes limits at higher altitudes.
It is true that some car manufacturers quote towload limits at inclines other than the 12% defined in the EU Directive, but where this is the case this is always a piece of additional information and the 12% figure is always shown, as well.

Prof John L said:
So ignoring any driving licence restrictions you may have, mechanically you could have a car with prescribed maximum towed mass of 1500kg, and you can actually tow a trailer that has an MTPLM of 1600kg or more, provided it is not actually loaded above 1500kg
That is not strictly true. If the car has a prescribed maximum towed mass of 1500kg, you can tow a trailer loaded to 1500kg plus the noseweight. The towed mass is NOT the same as the weight of the trailer, but only its axle load. The car doesn't tow the total weight of the trailer. It tows the axle load. The noseweight is carried, not towed, so this is part of the car's GVW.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I looked at the maximum gross train weight of the vehicle which could be anything up to 3500kg. This is derived from the gross vehicle weight plus the maximum braked weight capability. So if gross maximum weight is 2100kg then gross braked weight for trailer cannot be more than 1400kg. In essence this means a car with a kerbweight of 1500kg and with 400kg of baggage can legally tow a braked trailer with MTPLM 1400kg.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
No, Surfer, using your figures, a car with a kerbweight of 1500kg and with 400kg of baggage can legally tow a braked trailer with an MTPLM of more than 1400kg. The MTPLM may be 1400kg PLUS the noseweight (so long as the noseweight is not more than 200kg, because then the GVW of the car would be exceeded).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lutz and Surfer,

In my reply above I did not refer to the nose load element to try and show the principal of the process, but what Lutz says is quite right. It has particular relevance when cars and caravans are loaded close to thier maximums.

Surfer, the devil is in the detail, and you need to have a good understanding of the definitions of each term. Its the differences between terms like Maximum towed weight compared to MTPLM, and other things like Maximum Authorised Mass (which is a limit) compared to GVW or GVM which is a measured value. It does seem complicated, but there is a logic to it, and ultimately we have to abide by it.

It dosen't help when respected sorcues such as manufactures and magazines continue to use incorrect definitions, or haphazardly interchange acronyms sometimes illogically or inaccurately. There are plenty of terms in use that have no universally agreed definition such as kerbweight. So it can be hard for professionals yet alone amature's to steer a safe course through all the jargon and misinformation.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, it would help if organisations such as the caravan clubs and some car manufacturers would stop using the term 'kerbweight', which is obsolete, mainly because there is no legal definition of kerbweight and therefore open to interpretation. Some car manufacturers that use the term 'kerbweight' do so in its old form, where it conventionally does not include the driver, whereas others use it as being synonymous with 'Mass in Running Order' which includes the driver.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts