Trade in

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi all
We are currently thinking about trading in our caravan.The thing is I'm reading a lot lately about dealers giving you a trade in price and then when they check your van they say they have found damp and reduce your trade in price. This seems to be happening to a lot of people is this dealers being unscrupulous , it's kind of putting me off. So what advice would you give me to look out for or to ask when trading in to avoid being ripped off.
Thanks

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you buy locally you can usually get the dealer to check your caravan out before agreeing a sale in which case you are safe.
Not sure how much of the problems with damp is sharp practice or just people do not know. Caravans can be damp and dealers wanting to part exchange will want to know and some people will bring in damp caravans. However if they find damp on the surfaces of the toilet compartment or window frame this could be condensation and I wonder if this does happen.
The best bet is to have a damp test on the caravan before you agree a trade in so you know the score. This should cost about £50 but is worth it for peace of mind.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
If you buy locally you can usually get the dealer to check your caravan out before agreeing a sale in which case you are safe.
Not sure how much of the problems with damp is sharp practice or just people do not know. Caravans can be damp and dealers wanting to part exchange will want to know and some people will bring in damp caravans. However if they find damp on the surfaces of the toilet compartment or window frame this could be condensation and I wonder if this does happen.
The best bet is to have a damp test on the caravan before you agree a trade in so you know the score. This should cost about £50 but is worth it for peace of mind.

In the same way that as a customer it is arrange to collect something you purchased and its not as described, wouldn't you try to have the price dropped. The dealer is simply doing exactly the same.

Whether some dealers try it on and over state a problem I don't know but i would not be totally surprised if it does happen, but the way to avoid it is to take your caravan to them so they can value it in the flesh rather than based on a just a description.

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback I have a damp meter recently done reading around the van which were fine. But been reading a lot on another forum about people who have just had their van serviced no sign of damp yet when they trade in the dealers are miraculously finding damp to try give a lower trade in price and this is big well known company's that are doing it not prepared to say who. I understand that there will be damp in some caravans but just get the feeling that some firms are trying to pull a fast one

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I have been down this road myself, when I thought we would have to finish with caravanning because of my wifes illness I contacted a local dealer who is no longer is trading in Leicester I knew our caravan was dry as snuff, when his man came along he went round with the damp meter and found damp under the sink window, no chance I have a damp meter but he said that it was damp but the funny thing is he gave me the price we had agreed over the phone, the caravan in question was a Lunar Chateau and this model of caravan was at the time built in Belgium and the beauty of the construction was rather than butt up the awning rail with screws and mastic to the side of the caravan (both sides), the Chateau had an angled aluminum rail and 25mil of this was on the top edge of the caravan a real good sealed joint, but the best way I find to trade in your caravan is to see what the dealers are selling them for and then phone round to see who gives you the best deal,

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Although not looking to trade in just yet, we have asked the dealer we purchased our 'van from what we'd get more out of interest than anything. While we were given 'ball park' figures (which vary depending on how much you're spending! :whistle: ) there was no mention that checks, if any would be made before being given a price.
As it happens, the 'van was new from them and we have a kept service history ..... with all services completed by them so it's manufacturers spec work carried out (apparently) which includes a comprehensive damp check, along with report. In the long term, I'm hoping this helps when we trade in.

Not sure on the exact legalities, but if you agree a price as a trade in, then that price should be honoured. I would say that any inspection, including damp checks should be completed before they offer you a price, not as a second thought then change the offer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Keefanmaxx said:
Not sure on the exact legalities, but if you agree a price as a trade in, then that price should be honoured. I would say that any inspection, including damp checks should be completed before they offer you a price, not as a second thought then change the offer.

Yes I agree, however most dealers will almost certainly have a disclaimer on any paperwork, But equally the caravan you present must match the description given, and if it doesn't you are in breach of contract.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Keefanmaxx said:
Although not looking to trade in just yet, we have asked the dealer we purchased our 'van from what we'd get more out of interest than anything. While we were given 'ball park' figures (which vary depending on how much you're spending! :whistle: ) there was no mention that checks, if any would be made before being given a price.
As it happens, the 'van was new from them and we have a kept service history ..... with all services completed by them so it's manufacturers spec work carried out (apparently) which includes a comprehensive damp check, along with report. In the long term, I'm hoping this helps when we trade in.

The dealer knows your van and knows the condition and the history its much easier for him.
There is always a disclaimer if you read the small print and rightly so.
The used guide price is for a van that is in good condition with fair and tear associated with the age of the van.
If a van turns up with damage not associated with fair wear and tear then the dealer will knock money off, the best t thing to do is describe your van accurately to them all damage and marks if its a blind trade in? , people always say its immaculate or in brilliant condition as by nature we are protective if isnt then expect to be knocked down when trading, but if it is then you haven't got nothing to worry about.
How many times have you gone to see something when advertised as immaculate and you turn up and it isnt, what do you do either walk away or knock them down? No difference.
Simply describe the van as it is then you will have no worries.

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I agree with your comments on condition etcetera. While I think I know where every little dent and scratch is, there always seems to be more appearing!!
We were offered just about what we paid for the 'van 2 years ago against a brand new or other 'van in the £16 to 20k bracket and anything from 40 to 80% of what we paid against a used unit, depending on the price which was in the 8 to 15k bracket.
As we do trade in, we'll be looking to buy a 2 to 3 year old van, unless an amazing offer on a new one appears!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts