trailer lights

fj

Jul 26, 2018
Visit site
I forgot to connect lighting plug before setting off a stupid mistake
the police stopped me and gave me a well deserved good telling off
Afterwards i was trying to find out what offence they could have charged me with . All I could find were regulations about the lights that should be fitted to he caravan but nothing about them being connected to the car
anyone know what offence is involved

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Under the RTA all road lights must be in working order, so having no working lights on the caravan would be a breach of this. We check the lights are working before we set off so hopefully would avoid that error.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
Under the RTA all road lights must be in working order, so having no working lights on the caravan would be a breach of this. We check the lights are working before we set off so hopefully would avoid that error.
Plus you may receive a fine and three points on your licence

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
:eek:hmy: I'm with Clive on this one , due care and no attention in this case could have been slapped on you in that situation , you are responsible for pluggin it in and obviously no checks we're done before you pulled away , even if I am by myself and getting mine out of storage I put all the lights on all the hazards on to check all lights are working , it's similar to what I've done with the bus for the last 12 year before I take it out !
If you haven't getting a fine or points take it as a learning curve and don't let it happen again .

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Well done for holding your hands up to this on a public forum. Most of us are guilty of forgetting something when distracted or in a rush. Good reminder to the rest of us to do the walk around and checks.
I am sure the police officer could have found a section of the RTA to charge you under, glad it was just a ticking off. I bet you were, “yes officer”, “no officer”, “ won’t happen again officer”. :lol:
Mel

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I made this mistake leaving a campsite in Woolacombe at Easter.
I knew there was something in my mind telling me, so I turned on the sidelights and checked the caravan lights from the mirrors.
I had to wait until there was a large enough layby to pull into and couple the electrics there. It has made me aware of taking more time when hitching and to double check everything before pulling off. As I caravan on my own I put on the sidelights and hazard lights for my checks.
Regards,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts