Transiting thro Holland - site near Eindhoven?

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
We will depart Calais around midday 1st May, heading in the general direction of Hamburg. I'm struggling to find a site in the Netherlands about 4 hours drive from Calais. The one near Eindhoven in the CC's latest Travel service brochure (H04, Camping de Paal)has a minimum stay of 7 nights and is £30/night!

Looking in the 2006 ACSI book, there are a number in the area but only appear to open around the 8th May.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Keith M

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Try www.terspegelt.nl . They were open last May when I had the pleasure of taking my family of Middlesbrough supporters to Eindhoven for the E.U.F.A. cup final - the return journey was less than joyful ! ! Excellent site, very clean toilet blocks and with plenty of facilities for youngsters. Eating near site pricy though. Hope this suits.

MikeE

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Keith,

Interesting choice going via Eindhoven - just take care on the Belgian section between Antwerpen and Eindhoven - frequent speed traps near the Dutch border.

About the only site I know in that region is "Camping Kienehoef" near Sint Oedenrode, just off the A2 - it's very close to my favourite camping shop "De-Wit" - about 2km North of the camp ground on the N617

If you were going to plan a route to passing Rotterdam, then "Delftsehout" is a good site too.

Robert

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
Mike & Robert,

Thanks for the responses. I am considering going via Eindhoven partly as I am familiar with the Calais - Eindhoven route and do not fancy finding myself approaching Rotterdam in the evening rush-hour whilst looking for a camp site! However, if we were to go in that direction, then Delftse Hout would be the choice (it is in the CC travel service brochure, page 102). In fact the more I read about it and think about it..............

Whilst on the subject of sites in the Netherlands, given that we will arrive at a site in the afternoon/evening of Tuesday 1st May, which is a public holiday, does that mean it is essential to book, or just turn up?

Keith M

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Keith,

To be honest, I don't know, DelftseHout is busy most weekends and people may just spill over to the holiday Tuesday but I guess they will be going home on the Tuesday as you arrive.

So it won't hurt to pre-book, or make an e-mail enquiry nearer the time and see if they are close to fully booked.

Traffic around Rotterdam - Currently between "very busy" to "totally stuffed" depending on the weather, but by May many people should will be back on their bicycles - and the roads should clean up. My 40 km commute from Brielle to Rotterdam North (Spaanse Polder) this morning took just over 1 hour this morning (can be under 40 minutes) and most of the wait was getting into the Spaanse Polder business park.

The advantage of Delftsehout is that you can walk into Delft and eat in one of the many good / excellent restaurants (or at the site restaurant).

Taking the Eindhoven / 's-Hertogenbosch route will be lighter in traffic - although it is a major North / South truck route - but you're already familiar with the traffic levels

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts