Travel to and from France being banned

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
With the exception of hauliers France is banning travel between UK and France due to the increase in Covid 19 cases in the UK.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not unexpected but with Omicron in France anyway its like shutting the proverbial stable door. Certain categories can still travel like French nationals or others with essential reasons, but the bar has been set for a PCR test 24 hours prior to departure, , two days isolation followed by another PCR test. Not good for anyone planning holiday, transit or family visit.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don't really think so. Just looking after his own population.
However apparantly it is just as bad over there as it is in the UK? Many French establishments are not going to be happy as they need will need to refund UK people.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looks more like Macrons dislike for us, than a practical idea in my book.
What our media haven’t reported is that several EU states have themselves introduced restrictions on travellers from other EU states. So trying to arrange any sort of travel within the UK-EU in the current climate is a bit of a nightmare. Although I believe France will allow a through transit limited to 24 hours.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Wouldn' t go to France in the first place.Refuse to give the French (or the EU) any of my money.

How very sad. Some of our best holidays have been in France. Both when our children were young and now we are in our dotage. Never met anything but friendliness and kindness, and we still have many long term French friends.
France, despite current petty politically and tabloid- manufactured quarrels, is a key ally with whom we have carried out many joint ops.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Seems a bit of an own goal as the virus is already there and they are losing out on the large number of Brits who would have travelled there. I think it is Macron and may be his supporters but they are hardly endearing themselves with the French hospitality trade who are losing bookings and seem to be up in arms if TV report was right..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is the responsibility of each state to take what actions it sees as necessary to prevent or limit the spread of the infection. I doubt France's actions are purely political or done to deliberately limit their tourism industry from the UK, but the English Channel is the boarder that is easiest to control, and the UK does have a high infection rate.

Get used to the uncertainty of free travel movement as long as Covid is a threat. The situation is still very much in flux and very likely to see future restrictions across borders at inconvenient times for some Brits and other nationalities.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I doubt France's actions are purely political or done to deliberately limit their tourism industry from the UK, but the English Channel is the border that is easiest to control, and the UK does have a high infection rate.
English channel has never been much of a border before or after Brexit. :sneaky:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
English channel has never been much of a border before or after Brexit. :sneaky:
International air travel means that pandemics quickly spread worldwide, even the Pacific Ocean is no barrier to Covid.
Apart from that, the English channel has been a very effective barrier in the past on purely military grounds.
It deterred Hitler. 😉

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
International air travel means that pandemics quickly spread worldwide, even the Pacific Ocean is no barrier to Covid.
Apart from that, the English channel has been a very effective barrier in the past on purely military grounds.
It deterred Hitler. 😉
However they still bombed London and other cities. TBH I don't think the UK border is very tight anywhere as after all they let me in. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It deterred Hitler. 😉
True. But Hitler didn’t have the infamous 50 berth rubber dinghy😜
A lot of my friends have entered personal imposed lockdown in an effort to avoid Covid at Christmas. Masks have become common place everywhere locally. For once I believe the majority are behaving sensibly. Sadly the anti vaccers are another issue🤬🤬

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do wonder if you can circumvent this by travelling to say Holland and crossing from there as there should be no border control there.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I do wonder if you can circumvent this by travelling to say Holland and crossing from there as there should be no border control there.
What restrictions are the Dutch placing on travellers from UK ? We are a high risk country so cannot enter unless we meet exemption categories. Some EU countries are themselves placing restrictions on intra EU travellers. In the short term trying to second guess what will happen next is a bit of a lottery.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Restrictions have also been announced in Netherlands and Germany. The Schengen Area may not need visas but public health restrictions can still be applied.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Restrictions have also been announced in Netherlands and Germany. The Schengen Area may not need visas but public health restrictions can still be applied.
Under matters of public health each EU country can decide it’s own rules, unless they wish to sign up to a wider EU set of measures. But thus far most have retained their own policies.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I do find it incredible the lengths some contributors talk about going to, to try to get round restrictions put in place for medical reasons. Covid is a very serious risk still to many people, even those who have been fully vaccinated. These restrictions are not put in place to challenge the ingenuity of people to circumvent them, they are there for good reasons to help to protect people.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
How very sad. Some of our best holidays have been in France. Both when our children were young and now we are in our dotage. Never met anything but friendliness and kindness, and we still have many long term French friends.
France, despite current petty politically and tabloid- manufactured quarrels, is a key ally with whom we have carried out many joint ops.
It's time we got hard nose with the French,they need us more than we need them.

• Haha
Reactions: Johnb and PTA
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I do find it incredible the lengths some contributors talk about going to, to try to get round restrictions put in place for medical reasons. Covid is a very serious risk still to many people, even those who have been fully vaccinated. These restrictions are not put in place to challenge the ingenuity of people to circumvent them, they are there for good reasons to help to protect people.
In fairness, I don't think many are trying to bend the rules to suit their whims, but only seeking clarification, what is and what is not possible within the conditions set.

Reactions: PTA

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts