Travelling Abroad

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
OK This is what I have:-

Car insurance with Churchill and I know that's good for abroad as it was put to the test last year.

Caravan Insurance with Caravan Guard..... not tested!!

AA Foreign Breakdown Cover....... not tested.

Personal sickness and injury cover..... again not yet tested.

In the "old days" (god I sound like my old dad) I used the Caravan Club foreign insurance (was it called Red Pennant?) as well and this was put to the test after a bit of a fracas in Italy.

I discovered that I was so over insured that insurance companies got together and split the costs several ways thus saving themselves quite a lot of money. In fact the car was brought back by the car ins. company and the van by the van insurers. There were a some hospital fees, repatriation costs of us, car and caravan which were eventually written off. But believe me it wasn't a serious accident. It did, at that time (1973!!) reveal however that the CC ins was an overkill.

Since coming back to caravaning and gone abroad with a van for the last five years without the CC insurance I still wonder if I am being wise?

G

Many people 'swear' by the CC Red Pennant as if you are unsure of what you are embarking upon, then it is certainly comforting.

However, it is very expensive on a day by day basis for something that hopefully you will never need and there are other Companies offering similar deals for far lest cost. A single trip Policy for both personal and motor cover will cost you about 2.60 per day or thereabouts. For example the C&CC offers almost the same as the CC but can be up to 50% cheaper on certain options.

Some people are happier splitting things up to individual Companies for insurance and breakdown cover, so the best advice I can offer is to work out what is the duration of your trip, obviouslky your outfit and party aand make some enquiries to see what is available, and what cost.

Please take time to read the Policy Documents, as to what exactly is covered, and if it is more than you expect to ever need, why buy it? Also ensure all medical conditions are inputted, or the Cover will not be worth the paper it is printed on.

I admit to having used Red Pennant many times but this year I am using Clubcare from the C&CC as it is nearly as comprehensive, and significantly cheaper. Like you my caravan and car are already covered separately for overseas travel, so in effect I am duplicating some bits.

Both Clubs allow you to get quotations online and other Companies are described in the caravan/motorhome Press.

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
I also am wondering if I am over insured.

I have car with M&S which includes full Europe cover.

Breakdown is RAC including Europe (came with the M&S Insurance).

Caravan is insured but does not include repatriation.

We have an annual personal travel policy because we sometimes holiday without the caravan.

Last year I also had Red Pennant motoring, but this year it will be

G

It is really up to yourself, and whether you wish to forget about it while on holiday, or get nervous if the car starts to play up.

If you are prepared to do minor work yourself and if necessary pay a garage for the big stuff, then you can probably do things a lot cheaper for an uneventful holiday. For example if your battery goes dead, go buy another one rather than call out Red Pennant. Do remember that even if the CC or whoever, ship your car back home, you still have to get it fixed, so paying overseas may not be any dearer especially as many manufacturers have fixed pricing throughout the EU.

Just have the ability to access some cash in reasonable quantities if necessary.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts