Travelling through Europe in 4weeks

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi ,
I am trying to find out if anyone has camped around Lake Bodensee Germany,
We are away for 4weeks.

My wife and I are travelling down through France stopping off at Colmar for about 5 days,

The idea was to then go on to Lake Bodensee, but all the reviews just don't seem very good.
Has anyone camped around that area, if so is there any sites you can recommend,

I have a car and caravan,, so i am looking at about 3 to 4 hr run from Colmar France into south Germany .
Then probably on to Austria for a week before heading home on the 4week.
We are looking for small quite site around a lake, as we are in our early 60s and like to watch the world go by,.
Also site seeing around old parts of towns chateau's etc..

Any recommendations or advice would be great.

This will be only our 2nd time travelling in to Europe , so novices comes to mind .
Many thanks in advance.
Alan & Jackie

May 24, 2014
Visit site
As far as Austria is concerned, look in the Salzkammergut region, especially around Woflgangsee. The towns of St Wolfgang, St Gilgen and Strobl are excellent with exceptional scenery, fine dining and of course the lakes themselves. Fuschl and Fuchlsee are also good, but Wolfgangsee is the jewel. not long back from Mondsee and that one left us a little disappointed. However, on Wolfgangsee is a little hamlet called Gamsjaga, and there is a lovely caravan site there for tourers. On the opposite side of the Lake is another site on the Storbl side of St Wolfgang which also looks very nice. On the Lake you can take Franz Jozefs paddle steamer on a day ticket, hop on and off, and indeed, one of the boat stops is at the campsite itself.

Edit, there are actually three sites at Gamsjaga, adjacent to each other.

Within easy range for siteseeing, The Eagles Nest (Hitler), Dachstein with Ice caves, glaciers, fantastic cablecar journey, one of the best. The railway on Schaffberg. Cable Cars up Zwolferhorn. Mondsee cathedral aka Sound of Music. Franz Jozefs summer residence at Bad Ischl. And on a hot day, the Bishops Palace at Hellbrunn with its trick fountains, prepare to get wet. The great fortress at Salzburg. and about an hour or so, Hohenwerfen, from the film Where eagles Dare.

The lakes are very warm and great for swimming, although very stony underfoot.

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi Thingy☺.
Thank you so much for your reply & all the information , i am sure this will be of a great help, the area does sound amazing & just what we are looking for.

We are looking into these sites as we speak

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Excellent choice if I may say so. We know the area very well and absolutely love it. You still have the high grounds of the Tyrol, but add the lakes and it becomes something else.

Also, forgot to say it is an easy drive to Hallstat, a real fairy tale village, although tends to be a little overrun by Chinese visitors. Apparently there is an exact replica somewhere in China.

If you do go to that area, stop of in St Gilgen at the Tourism Office and get the Salzkammergut Card. It will need to be signed by the campsite owners but in our two weeks, it saved four of us around 250 euros in discounts on attractions. All the cable cars, castles, boats, caves take them. If you want a real traditional night, the Fischer Hotel in St Gilgen has regular Schuplattler dancing exhibitions, and the buxom wenches bringing round the Schnapps barrel is not to be missed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts