Travelling to Dover ferry port from Glasgow

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I and my family are making the long drive to France this summer and wondered how best to skirt round London on our way to Dover. Also, what time of day should I avoid London and the surrounding motorways? We are travelling on a Friday for a Saturday morning ferry,

Thanks,

James

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Whenever we make this journey from Birmingham we rarely have any problems providing we hit the M40 at approximately 7pm and the M25 between 8pm and 8.30pm. You just need to find somewhere to stop overnight in those circumstances as the Caravan Club site at Black Horse Farm will not allow entrance to the site after 8pm and there is no later night arrivals area.

Check earlier threads relating to Dover as people are suggesting many other alternative sites close to the docks.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My AutoRoute gives M74, M6, A66, A1, A14, M11, M25 clockwise, M2, A2 (8hrs 8mins 465miles) or M74, M6, M42, M40, M25 anti-clockwise, M26, M20, A20 (8hrs 29mins 491miles).

The second route might actually be quicker as there are major roadworks on the M25 on the first route.

London is best avoided at all times but particularly between 6am and 8pm.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Avoid the M1, M40 and M25 etc around London between 3pm and 8pm on a Friday. Bedford/Hemel/Luton area of M1 have two years of road works on going as well.

I would consider opting for heading across to the M11 instead of going down the M1 or go down to the M40 and take southern M25 to M26 and M20 cutting out the QE2 bridge over the Thames.

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Firstly do you have a flexible ferry ticket.

If not why not drive down during the night and arrive in time for the ferry in the morning.

If you dont fancy that I would go with Sadies second suggestion but the problem is any little bump anywhere in the m25 area and the traffic backs up so quickly.

Next year try Newcastle or Hull its so much easier and by the time you will ahve paid for extra fuel and 2 nights out it's not much dearer.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I only live a short drive from the M25, if my travel arrangement were to a fixed timetable I would head for the southen part of the M25 as when problems occur you can head further south and still get to Dover, albeit slowly.

M25 north side lower M1, M11 and QE2 bridge problems leave you with few alrenatives other than heading in to the Lindon area and still using or by-passing the M25.

I travel to Dover in the evening and cross late evening or early am and then stop in France.

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your suggestions,

I have booked in at the Black horse farm and am aware of the 8pm deadline. Will get the map out now and assess the new routes you have suggested. My ferry is 10am on Saturday and have thought about driving through the night with a view to catching an earlier ferry if space permits. I just need to convince my better half that I can stay awake!!! I work offshore and will be coming off night shift prior to our departure.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
James - to keep alert, stop every couple of hours and allow yourself 10-15 minutes sleep - away from family distractions.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
If you have been on night duty offshore, you should be OK to drive through the night, all depending on how long after arriving home you are leaving.

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
We will be setting off a day after I get home so will still be adjusting to normal time. The more I think about it, driving through the night seems more attractive with quieter roads and not having to get stressed with any potential or real delays. My holiday starts as soon as I turn on the ignition and want to enjoy the whole journey. Just hope the site and the weather live up to expectations.

Thanks again

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
James

I have often travelled to Dover from Argyll, another 100 miles or so from Glasgow, and have just returned from France. Journey is easy from here, once you get to Glasgow!M8/M74/M6/M6 Toll/M1/M25/M20 right to Dover. We sometimes stop overnight in Lancashire however if leaving after work etc I would recommend leaving Thursday night, stopping at Westmorland site at Tebay Services, then easy 6 hour drive down to Dover and Blackhorse CC site (Chinese, Indian and chip shop in village) - gives leisurely start to the holiday. More trouble on the way back though as roadworks at M25/M1 junction can cause delays - 1 hour 10 mins to do 5 miles on 14th June ( a Saturday!)

regards

Alasdair

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
WARNING - don't bother with the M6 Toll outside peak periods, it won't save any time AND they're having to do road reconstruction overnight despite the low traffic volumes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts