tredegar house country park cc site, south wales, anybody been?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
jo-anne

I live in Newport. Don't go there it's a dump. Only the city centre, that is.

Tredegar House is one of the best sites there is. It's superb in every respect. Just off the motorway in the grounds of a country house. Pitches are usual CC size amongst mature trees, some hardstandings, some grass.

There are some nice places around to suit all tastes. The Roman Amphitheatre and museum in Caerleon. The Transporter Bridge across the Usk in Newport itself.

Cardiff is only 12 miles to the west and has loads of attractions. The re-developed Cardiff Bay and the Dr Who museum. The Millenium Stadium, the Castle and all of the things that you would expect from a large ( capitol ) city.

Further west is Swansea and the Gower peninsular with some great beaches for surfing.

To the north is the scenic drive through the hilly forestry comission land at Cwmcarn. The Big Pit mining attraction at Blaenavon and the Brecon Beacons National Park beyond that.

To the east is Chepstow with it's castle and the beautiful Wye Valley, the ruins at Tintern Abbey and some nice pubs.

There are also some great golf course in the area, including the Celtic Manor resort where the 2010 Ryder Cup will be held.

So although Newport city centre itself is worth a miss it's a good base to explore from

May 20, 2006
Visit site
Jim has said it all, its a very nice site, the only let down for me was the rude staff (2 women) that run the site.

I had not joined the cc and paid extra to use the site, i planned to join but later on. the old woman who served me looked down her nose at me and because i wasnt a member told me to "pitch up on the grass out of the way".

The price of the pitch was the same for grass or hard stand, it was first come first served, so i ignored her comments and parked on a spare hard stand.

i resented some snotty old woman looking down at me, i have a new van and a good new car, it wasnt like i was some hill billy turning up with a transit.

as a consequence i never joined the cc. dont intend to either.

to summarise, nice site, crap staff.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
MikeAce

Hope you reported this instance to the caravan club because it is us members that pay their wages, I find this happens quite alot on sites. I think the wardens think they own the site and not work for the caravan club and its members.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
Hi Gill, i didnt report it, being new to the whole caravan experience at the time the wife and i just thought that if thats how they are thats how the entire cc are.

as time went by i wished i had reported it, but it was too late to make a fuss by then. i will never join the cc though because of it, ruined it for me really.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
MikeAce,

Not all the wardens are the same, i would say 99% are pleasant and helpful, i have been a member for 10 years now. And have only come across the odd one or two. With the caravan club you know what you are getting, decent size pitches and clean hot showers, whereas some of the commercial sites tend to pack you in and the showers leave much to be desired.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
mike, i would have agreed with you before i joined. we are a family in mid 30's and have a 13 year old and a 5 year old. we wouldnt stay anywere else now but cc sites. they are usually big pitches, wardens are usually friendly, the showers and loos are great and you know what you are getting.

i would recommend anybody joining.

jo-anne

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Gill, i didnt report it, being new to the whole caravan experience at the time the wife and i just thought that if thats how they are thats how the entire cc are.

as time went by i wished i had reported it, but it was too late to make a fuss by then. i will never join the cc though because of it, ruined it for me really.
mike see below.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
MikeAce,

Not all the wardens are the same, i would say 99% are pleasant and helpful, i have been a member for 10 years now. And have only come across the odd one or two. With the caravan club you know what you are getting, decent size pitches and clean hot showers, whereas some of the commercial sites tend to pack you in and the showers leave much to be desired.
totally agree with you gill i wouldnt go anywhere but a cc site. now with the new website you can checkout picture and some virtual tours whatever next.

thanks

jo-anne

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts