Trewetthet Farm,Tintagel.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Our friends who own a large motorhome,have just returned from the above CAMC site in Tintagel.
Has anyone stayed there before and have any info please.
Our friends said the views are to die for on most pitches and lots of walking from the site.
(Knee replacement permitting)🤭

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Yes, beautiful views, my only concern is if a storm comes in, the caravan might take off, especially if on the front row.

The castle now has an access bridge, it didn’t when we went. We did not attempt the long walk and climb, but would use the bridge.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It does look rather a sheer drop over the edge.
Wife doesn't like heights so we will be well away from the cliff edge.

It’s not dangerously close, and there is a fence and the coastal path. In fact, looking at the picture, I thought from memory, it was a lot closer.

5F001488-1FF8-46E0-B286-3141FBB3F043.jpeg

John

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes,I looked at that photo on Google maps and it certainly doesn't look as close to the edge as the pictures on their website.
We will be following our friends in their motorhome plus I have the Garmin Dezl sat nav I used in the lorry.
Weight,height,length,width etc....

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Been many times Ade.
The best pitches are the luck of the draw. I have to admit I did move once to a better pitch as someone was pulling off. It can be windy and only once did the Wardens advise us to take down the awning. Too late for us as the wind was already very strong. The Izzy with her Storm straps stayed intact no damage. Walks to Both Tintagel and Boscastle are achievable but not with dodgy knees. There is a bus that stops at the site , and cheap. The sunsets are stunning. Well worth a stay.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Been many times Ade.
The best pitches are the luck of the draw. I have to admit I did move once to a better pitch as someone was pulling off. It can be windy and only once did the Wardens advise us to take down the awning. Too late for us as the wind was already very strong. The Izzy with her Storm straps stayed intact no damage. Walks to Both Tintagel and Boscastle are achievable but not with dodgy knees. There is a bus that stops at the site , and cheap. The sunsets are stunning. Well worth a stay.
Sounds like a place we would like to go (y)

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you Dustydog.
I think I read on TripAdvisor reviews that you check in,then given a marker to find a pitch,then return to check in to tell them where you have chosen.
Sounds like we will have to keep an eye on the weather forecasts while there.
Bus stop outside sounds fantastic.
Let the wife and 2 friends walk,ill get the bus.🤣

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What's the big deal with the wind? We've caravanned at several paces where the wind was gale force and the Isabella awning was fine. Is Cornwall any worse than the North-West Coast of Scotland?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
What's the big deal with the wind? We've caravanned at several paces where the wind was gale force and the Isabella awning was fine. Is Cornwall any worse than the North-West Coast of Scotland?
No . Not with an Izzy. But the gossamer ones won’t last long🤔🤪🤪

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I taken note of that thanks (y)

I find the CAMHC seem to put a warning on all their directions now. Even when, like last week, I went to Pandy site Abergavenny. Only real access is just off the ‘A’ road. The danger is, in my opinion, putting an unnecessary statement in stresses my wife out, as she believes that despite map evidence. And it might make people take it with a pinch of salt in the future.

But, in the case of Trewethett, it’s very very true.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I find the CAMHC seem to put a warning on all their directions now. Even when, like last week, I went to Pandy site Abergavenny. Only real access is just off the ‘A’ road. The danger is, in my opinion, putting an unnecessary statement in stresses my wife out, as she believes that despite map evidence. And it might make people take it with a pinch of salt in the future.

But, in the case of Trewethett, it’s very very true.

John
What sort of warning do you get for Pandy? It’s a very straightforward approach if my memory serves me correctly

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
That’s interesting. Never had a problem. Trewethett is on the main road between Boscastle and Tintagel, Granted road down the hill is narrowing but not unduly hazardous. Sorry if I’ve missed something.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
What sort of warning do you get for Pandy? It’s a very straightforward approach if my memory serves me correctly

The club directions are.

Please only use these recommended directions for the final approach and not sat nav, as alternative roads are unsuitable roads for towing. It is recommended that you avoid towing through Abergavenny. Slight left onto A465 (Abergavenny - Hereford) for 6.6 miles towards Hereford. Pass sign for Pandy and slow down. Turn left at The Old Pandy Inn into minor road signposted Longtown, Walterstone, Oldcastle. Immediately after passing under the railway bridge the Site is on the left. Please note, a railway line runs adjacent to the site and main line trains do run through the night. On occasions steam trains pass and cause great interest.

Not inaccurate, but in my opinion, lazy. And unnecessary for this site. Unless some sat navy’s may try to take you through Abergavenny, which is not great. But that is 5 miles away, and peoples own common sense should respected.

By lazy, I mean, if it is used as a common statement for all site directions, but perhaps it isn’.t

John

That’s interesting. Never had a problem. Trewethett is on the main road between Boscastle and Tintagel, Granted road down the hill is narrowing but not unduly hazardous. Sorry if I’ve missed something.

It might depend on what direction you come from. My sat nav wanted to take me down a single track road for a long way, I went around leading to the main road you mention, and it was not a problem. This is the wording for there, a bit different than Pandy, so probably not lazy after all.

Please only use these recommended directions for the final approach and not sat nav, due to unsuitable roads for towing. Leave the A30 via slip road onto A395 (signposted N Cornwall, Wadebridge, Camelford). In 11 miles at the T-junction turn right onto the A39 (signposted Bude). In 1 mile turn left just before the transmitter. In 2.5 miles at the crossroads turn right onto the B3266 (signposted Boscastle). In about 2.5 miles at the junction on the bend continue onto B3263. Do not turn right down hill, site entrance on right in about 2 miles.

Like most of us do when towing, I check my route and don’t rely on sat nav. Even caravan or truck specific ones. I have been bitten.

John

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes John,
The B3266 and B3263 are the route we take. I got caught six years ago near Bath using Sat nav and ended in a real pickle. Had to reverse 100 yards.
Bar the #Scottish Highlands we too never use the unclassified routes down in the West Country.
You can still buy a caravanners designed sat nav circa £400. However like you , you can‘t beat a map👍👍👍👍

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The club directions are.

Please only use these recommended directions for the final approach and not sat nav, as alternative roads are unsuitable roads for towing. It is recommended that you avoid towing through Abergavenny. Slight left onto A465 (Abergavenny - Hereford) for 6.6 miles towards Hereford. Pass sign for Pandy and slow down. Turn left at The Old Pandy Inn into minor road signposted Longtown, Walterstone, Oldcastle. Immediately after passing under the railway bridge the Site is on the left. Please note, a railway line runs adjacent to the site and main line trains do run through the night. On occasions steam trains pass and cause great interest.

Not inaccurate, but in my opinion, lazy. And unnecessary for this site. Unless some sat navy’s may try to take you through Abergavenny, which is not great. But that is 5 miles away, and peoples own common sense should respected.

By lazy, I mean, if it is used as a common statement for all site directions, but perhaps it isn’.t

John

It might depend on what direction you come from. My sat nav wanted to take me down a single track road for a long way, I went around leading to the main road you mention, and it was not a problem. This is the wording for there, a bit different than Pandy, so probably not lazy after all.

Please only use these recommended directions for the final approach and not sat nav, due to unsuitable roads for towing. Leave the A30 via slip road onto A395 (signposted N Cornwall, Wadebridge, Camelford). In 11 miles at the T-junction turn right onto the A39 (signposted Bude). In 1 mile turn left just before the transmitter. In 2.5 miles at the crossroads turn right onto the B3266 (signposted Boscastle). In about 2.5 miles at the junction on the bend continue onto B3263. Do not turn right down hill, site entrance on right in about 2 miles.

Like most of us do when towing, I check my route and don’t rely on sat nav. Even caravan or truck specific ones. I have been bitten.

John
Pretty standard warning about not using satnav. Never ever gave any thought to not going via Abergavenny if en route to Brecon or A470 but going to Pandy I would always approach from the east heading west in which case you head off north on th e main trunk route on the outskirts of Abergavenny. But otherwise caravans , myself and central Abergavenny not a problem.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I think if we were coming to this site would have stop somewhere on the way down for a couple of nights and then carry on and the same going back
one way from us 355 miles ;)

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Pretty standard warning about not using satnav. Never ever gave any thought to not going via Abergavenny if en route to Brecon or A470 but going to Pandy I would always approach from the east heading west in which case you head off north on th e main trunk route on the outskirts of Abergavenny. But otherwise caravans , myself and central Abergavenny not a problem.

I do agree, but issuing standard warnings continually can lead to some not taking them seriously when it matters. But just my opinion.

Abergavenny is easy to go around, going through it is certainly possible but I think it should be avoided, lots of parked cars to negotiate,

For me to go to the Pandy site I can go via Ross, up to near Hereford A49, then back down the A465. or use the A40 to Abergavenny then north on the A465. Which is a bit futher.

But, ideally I need to find a way across country between the A49 and A465. And there are a few B roads which will do this. But most not suitable with the van. However, the B4348 is ideal. A good road which saves miles. I needed to do a bit of street view to confirm this. As we know, there are B roads and then there are B roads.

Coming home, all would have been good. But, a few miles in to the B4348 there was a road closed sign blocking the road with no pre warning and nowhere to turn. I had to carry on and hope there was a suitable place. If not, when I got to the road works I would spin it on the mover.

A bit further along I came up to a lorry. He had the same problem but a lot harder to turn for him. There was a minor road on the right which I was going to use to turn around. The lorry driver then appears, he had had a ‘word‘ and the road would be clear in 5 mins, so I needed to reverse back onto the main road and follow the lorry. The driver said he would guide me. Some cars had appeared, so we guided them through first.

I don’t know why as I still has a few feet of space on my offside, but he guided me into his lorry. Just catching the rear marker light on the near, blind side.

Perhaps he felt rushed, as he wanted to be home in Leeds to watch the final, and still had to go to Scarborough.

He was apologetic. But it is not worth arguing about as it’s a dead easy fix. But what a bummer.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts