Triumph of hope over experience?

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
In the hope that we will have been vaccinated and lockdown restrictions eased, we have booked a caravan tour of Scotland for the month of May 2021. Deposits minimal and/or returnable.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
In the hope that we will have been vaccinated and lockdown restrictions eased, we have booked a caravan tour of Scotland for the month of May 2021. Deposits minimal and/or returnable.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Hi PTA i hope you get and you have been vaccinated and lockdown eased.. We also have a break on the 23rd April for a week so here hoping we are the same. but we can change it to a later date if it a no go ..

Reactions: PTA
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our first “shakedown cruise” is to the Brecon Beacons 25 March. Could be a close run thing. We should have been jabbed but if restrictions aren’t eased then that trip will be off. Fingers crossed.

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
That might be a problem OC ! Watching a interview with Matt Hancock on sky news this morning he stated we are in lockdown until the 31st of March so i would be looking at changing your dates if i was you.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That might be a problem OC ! Watching a interview with Matt Hancock on sky news this morning he stated we are in lockdown until the 31st of March so i would be looking at changing your dates if i was you.

Depends on how the figures are looking and perhaps like lockdown 1 there could be a gradual easing of restrictions. Not planning to change though.... don’t panic Captain Mainwaring. 😷😷

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hope your right OC we've a trip planned for easter that only gives us a couple of days after proposed end to lockdown.

I’ve always tried to avoid Bank Holidays and if possible the summer school holidays. Even when our kids were young we just took them out of school as did my parents.

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
We'l probably do the same when we retire ! But we've 3 or 4 years to go so we have to take what holidays we can, and being a yorkshireman i hate paying inflated prices just because its a bank holiday.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We'l probably do the same when we retire ! But we've 3 or 4 years to go so we have to take what holidays we can, and being a yorkshireman i hate paying inflated prices just because its a bank holiday.
Cheshirecat, that what we thought about retirement, oh plenty of time to get away. That all changed, Hospital appointments, dental appointments all sorts of daft things happened. Not been away as much as when I was at work, and never would go away on Bank holidays.

My guess is May before things get better.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Cheshirecat, that what we thought about retirement, oh plenty of time to get away. That all changed, Hospital appointments, dental appointments all sorts of daft things happened. Not been away as much as when I was at work, and never would go away on Bank holidays.

Hutch
Don’t forget the grandchildren. We’ve been taking ours for what seems like eons. The oldest now 28 and youngest nearly 16 has only last July declined a trip out. Our thanks to the boyfriend 😂

Luckily I retired in 2000 and have had plenty of opportunity to indulge them, so much easier than your own children.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You will have to see how the lockdown regulations are amended closer to the time but be prepared to be disappointed, becasue I heard today a Gov't minister said on the radio (and I'm not sure which one) who was commenting on the number of people who who seemed think that as soon as they had received the vaccine they would safe to return to normal activities.

He went on to repeat almost exactly as I have forewarned, that restrictions cannot be eased until enough of the population have developed enough immunity, becasue whilst you personally may have had the vaccine and developed an immunity to the infection, you can still carry and shed enough virus to infect others without immunity. This is particularly relevant with the new strain presently in the UK, and there are still continuing concerns with other new variants found in other parts of the world.

There is considerable discussion going on about the possibility of increasing the present restrictions, becasue despite teh current ones the infection is still increasing.

Vaccines are our biggest hope at this stage.

So by all means plan trips, but be prepared to change those plans as the situation develops.

Reactions: CHESHIRECAT
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You will have to see how the lockdown regulations are amended closer to the time but be prepared to be disappointed, becasue I heard today a Gov't minister said on the radio (and I'm not sure which one) who was commenting on the number of people who who seemed think that as soon as they had received the vaccine they would safe to return to normal activities.

He went on to repeat almost exactly as I have forewarned, that restrictions cannot be eased until enough of the population have developed enough immunity, becasue whilst you personally may have had the vaccine and developed an immunity to the infection, you can still carry and shed enough virus to infect others without immunity. This is particularly relevant with the new strain presently in the UK, and there are still continuing concerns with other new variants found in other parts of the world.

There is considerable discussion going on about the possibility of increasing the present restrictions, becasue despite teh current ones the infection is still increasing.

So by all means plan trips, but be prepared to change those plans as the situation develops.

Prof
On the disappointment scale of 1 to 10 the cancellation of a four day break in Wales in March isn’t that high compared to the last two years cancelled trips. But a cancelled two weeks in May on the North York Moors with a pub and all day cafe next door and Whitby F&C would rate 10.

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site

Flippin heck Hutch ! Not ready for the Knackers yard yet mate! Hope a yearly dental appointment and the odd doctors appointment should leave me at least 40 something weeks to get away for a few days if possible with fishing, saying that i'm having both my hands operated on on tuesday! So will be off work for about 8 weeks and can't go anywhere.

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our first “shakedown cruise” is to the Brecon Beacons 25 March. Could be a close run thing. We should have been jabbed but if restrictions aren’t eased then that trip will be off. Fingers crossed.
Hi otherclive if i remember this Lockdown until 31st March if finish early then your trip might be on but you can always change it to a later date

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi otherclive if i remember this Lockdown until 31st March if finish early then your trip might be on but you can always change it to a later date
Beachball it’s not really an issue for me. It can’t be changed given our other bookings for chalet at FoD, Yorkshire, Dorset and Rhodes. I don’t go on all of them being rabbit sitter in chief fir my daughter. But Wales in September is an option. 😷😷😷

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Beachball it’s not really an issue for me. It can’t be changed given our other bookings for chalet at FoD, Yorkshire, Dorset and Rhodes. I don’t go on all of them being rabbit sitter in chief fir my daughter. But Wales in September is an option. 😷😷😷
Hi otherclive well if lockdown has not finish before the 31st March there be no option you will have cancelled the booking . we going to wales in June what was transfered from last year .

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site

I'm all for reason, logic and probability but sometimes it needs to be leavened with hope and aspiration.

"Glass half full" and all that.....

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi otherclive well if lockdown has not finish before the 31st March there be no option you will have cancelled the booking . we going to wales in June what was transfered from last year .
Beachball, when I say it cannot be changed I’m referring to the fact that up until late July there’s not a time slot in our various calendars that are linked with our daughters. She has work commitments rota’d right through. I would be loathe to shift my booking to the school holidays anyway, so if it lapses so be it. It’s not the end of the earth.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Looking at this mornings paper the Scottish Deputy First Minister is suggesting that the lock down has some way to run and there may be some well into Summer. Thought I had some idea of what I was going to do but not sure now.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looking at this mornings paper the Scottish Deputy First Minister is suggesting that the lock down has some way to run and there may be some well into Summer. Thought I had some idea of what I was going to do but not sure now.
This lockdown has started three months earlier than Lockdown 1 and don’t forget that Lockdown 1 was progressively eased initially things like garden centres and takeaways were opened. More people were encouraged to go to work etc until in early July the floodgates opened for all to mix and go away on holiday. Be interesting to see how this one goes as the added variables in the equation are the different starting point on community infection rates, the evolved virus, garden centres, nurseries takeaways etc and more people going to work, trades entering houses etc and the biggy being the vaccination programme. I watch with interest. Of course I’m only referring to the actions being taken by the government as they affect England.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Ray i hope it not true in Scotland for you i have friends who live in Perthshire and we are hoping of meeting asap

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Beachball, when I say it cannot be changed I’m referring to the fact that up until late July there’s not a time slot in our various calendars that are linked with our daughters. She has work commitments rota’d right through. I would be loathe to shift my booking to the school holidays anyway, so if it lapses so be it. It’s not the end of the earth.
Hi otherclive not feeling on top of the world this morning just been to doctor he confirmed i have another ulcer on my right ankle .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts