Truma awning heater outlet

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
whys that?
Probably because you are trying to heat the atmosphere and taking into account the high cost of electric, a site owner would not be very happy. Secondly according to many people the modification is not very effective at heating anything.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m amazed if Truma still sell them given that all they are doing is pouring heat and CO2 into the atmosphere. We never ever used a awning heater of any type even in the 1970s when climate change wasn’t even thought of. I just considered them to be an utter waste of energy even if it were included in the pitch fee.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was never really sure why Truma decided to offer this set. The amount of heat a single outlet venting into an awning could produce against the fabric of the awning, it doubtful it would make any significant temperature rise in the awning, especially if its not fully closed up.

Otherclive's comment may be a bit misleading, the outlet in the awning wouldn't be producing CO2, it would only be habitation space air from inside the caravan. However I do concede the extra energy needed to heat the air would have a CO2 contribution but it would go up the heaters flue pipe, or power station chimney if your using mains power.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry Beng cannot help on the spare parts, but when trying to heat an awning once for a long weekend birthday party we found using an oil filled radiator worked better.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A long time ago we used to have get-togethers in the awning. Often more than 10 people. A fan heater together with all the bodies did the job. But otherwise a waste of time and money.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have thought that an outlet like that could be used to at some warmth to a pup tent, it would need extra duct to get it there, but it would be easier and more effective to use either a fan heater or oil filled radiator.

Another thought was to use it to heat one of those standing dryer pods,
again using mains power is probably far easier.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have thought that an outlet like that could be used to at some warmth to a pup tent, it would need extra duct to get it there, but it would be easier and more effective to use either a fan heater or oil filled radiator.

Another thought was to use it to heat one of those standing dryer pods,
again using mains power is probably far easier.
I would think that heating anything will cost more money than usual and the site owner may frown on such practice?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would think that heating anything will cost more money than usual and the site owner may frown on such practice?
I'm not promoting the idea of using such devices, only that of the options available the stand alone solutions are still probably better than the Truma type device.

In the case of the drying pod, the wattage is usually fairly low (circa 500W) and thus is unlikely to cause a significant problem.

If site owners have concerns about excess power usage they will either ban such practices in their T&C, or charge users more for sites or introduce metered pitches.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm not promoting the idea of using such devices, only that of the options available the stand alone solutions are still probably better than the Truma type device.

In the case of the drying pod, the wattage is usually fairly low (circa 500W) and thus is unlikely to cause a significant problem.

If site owners have concerns about excess power usage they will either ban such practices in their T&C, or charge users more for sites or introduce metered pitches.

Apologies but I was not inferring that you were promoting the idea as I was agreeing with you.

The problem is that most site owners cannot monitor electric consumption on a daily basis nor do they want to be seen prowling around the site looking for miscreants. A bit of a Catch 22 situation for them.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The possibility of caravanners using a heater in the awning at say 1000 watts is no different, to someone using an electric BBQ, for 3/4 hour. At the moment I use neither, but Mrs H, does use the electric hob and an electric Pressure cooker in the winter. In the caravan

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Best we ever saw was some years ago. We were camping and across from us two small cars pulled up and disgorged a party of 4 young adults, a tent, a gazebo and a full size calor gas patio heater. Tent and gazebo were duly erected and then the patio heater placed into the gazebo with about an inch of clearance between the cowl of the patio heater and the gazebo roof. One of the young adults was just about to light it, (and I was just about to run over and intervene) when another young adult came out of the tent and loudly pointed out why this arrangement was not a good idea.
I think there would have been considerable heat loss into the atmosphere, along with the gazebo and quite possibly the nearby tent.
Mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not something I would consider as they are simply not effective enough for the power used but if it is broken then I would replace the vent for the sake of appearance . If you really want one then possibly breakers are the best bet.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site

yes, we were speaking to the owners of our favorite local CL last weekend. as they are a farm they are on business rates for electricity and they have had to put their prices up from1st October and looking at installing meterers. They can't continue to subsidise our holidays

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
yes, we were speaking to the owners of our favorite local CL last weekend. as they are a farm they are on business rates for electricity and they have had to put their prices up from1st October and looking at installing meterers. They can't continue to subsidise our holidays
Problem with a CL installing metering is to recoup the cost of the installation. Also they cannot charge more per kwh than what they are paying as the metering will more than likely be sub metering so no standing charge is paid.

If they increase the cost of the pitch too much to try and recoup the outlay for the meter installation, they may lose custom and have to close down anyway. Plus the fact that during the cooler months the CL will probably not be full every night or not even open.

Caught between a rock and a hard place!

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Caught between a rock and a hard place!
Yep, that is exactly how they felt. It would be a massive outlay no doubt to update/upgrade the electric posts to metered ones, but it might be the only fair way of doing things.

Just hoping that they do reopen next spring, and we can still afford to visit

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yep, that is exactly how they felt. It would be a massive outlay no doubt to update/upgrade the electric posts to metered ones, but it might be the only fair way of doing things.

Just hoping that they do reopen next spring, and we can still afford to visit
There is also an ongoing cost in that they need to be checked for safety and probably calibrated every year.

It may be better and cheaper for them to increase the pitch fee by £5 in summer to compensate for electric used and £10 in winter months. A CL owner will probably be on business rates therefore their charge per kwh will not be capped.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
A CL we were on recently had down graded the bollard to 6 amps in order to reduce electricity consumption. They said that they had done this in preference to increased pitch fees.
Mel

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A CL we were on recently had down graded the bollard to 6 amps in order to reduce electricity consumption. They said that they had done this in preference to increased pitch fees.
Mel
Were the owners speaking French. ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts