Truma fire ignition problems

Mar 18, 2020
Visit site
I’m having trouble with my Truma fire S3002. When I activate it in windy weather the pilot light blows out resulting in a blow back. I’ve extended the external flue as recommended in the manual but it still occurs. Has anyone got any idea on how to overcome this.

Mar 18, 2020
Visit site
Hi my unit is a Motor home Auto Sleeper Nuevo 2011. I had the habitation service in May last year but not specifically the truma heater. The fire is a Truma s3002. Hope this helps. I should add that I use gaslow refillable bottles and I believe the LPG can be a bit suspect so I have all flexible steel hoses. Cheers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One of the things that often caused your problems was that many motorhomes often had other quite large items on their roofs. These other items can cause windage problems resulting in excessive back pressure on the flue which could snuff out the pilot setting. The usual solution is to raise the flue outlet above any near by roof furniture so the top is in clear air.

I understand you have raised the flue, but is its above other furniture now?

You must remember to lower the flue before travelling.

Truma have a high wind roof cowl which clipped to the top of the existing cowl, Here is an example

Mar 18, 2020
Visit site
Thank you Prof. John for your advice. The only furniture on the roof apart from the flue cowl is the tv antennae which is the directional type and is triangular in shape . I will try the clip on cowl.👍

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Never in 40 years have I had to raise the flue cowl. I suspect this is a simple case where the fire needs a thorough service and all the burners and jets are cleaned out.👍

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Never in 40 years have I had to raise the flue cowl. I suspect this is a simple case where the fire needs a thorough service and all the burners and jets are cleaned out.👍
Just because you haven't had the problem does not mean it doesn't exist. For some installations where there is a roof box , the raised cowl and /or the extra cap was essential.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just because you haven't had the problem does not mean it doesn't exist. For some installations where there is a roof box , the raised cowl and /or the extra cap was essential.

No one has said the problem does not exist, so the first of your sentences is not helpful !!

It is unusual to say the least that with having just a TV aerial on the roof that the OP is experiencing the flame blowing out, but as per Dustydog, I would suggest the first course of action is to have the fire fully checked out by someone who knows what they are doing , then that part can be discounted.
It is surprising just how much debris can be found in the burner area, not helped by the use of refillable gas cylinders as that LPG is dirtier than Calor.

I have worked on many motorhomes with roofboxes, air con units and other items mounted on the roof and have never found the need for extended flues.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A service will do no harm, and of course is highly recommended.

Our experience differs in that there was one model of motor home ( and I cant remember which) that had to be supplied with the additional cowl, because of the proximity of the flue to an obstruction on the roof. Flue extensions were common on the continent, mainly to deal with thick snow, but also to cope with air flow problems in high winds in some locations.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are right, our experiences are vastly different.
I use the information gained by working on many different makes of vans on a daily basis , not relying on things which I may have heard that happened in the dim and distant past.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Come on Prof we are talking about a caravan, not a motor home. I cannot recall ever seeing a caravan with a top box . If his heater has been working correctly , one assumes until,his post, why would a flue extension suddenly become necessary?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are right, our experiences are vastly different.
I use the information gained by working on many different makes of vans on a daily basis , not relying on things which I may have heard that happened in the dim and distant past.
Damian,
This is another example of where you dismiss what I have written.

The issue I related was not something "I may have heard that happened in the dim and distant past." but is a matter of fact.

Whether its relevant to the OP's situation or not neither you nor I can tell, but my experience suggests it might be and it is therefore something to bear in mind.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Could it be a dicky thermocouple? This is the device that keeps the gas flowing. It sits in the flame and if it's on the way out the wind might just move the pilot light away and the gas valve shuts. (When you ignite the heater you press the knob down until the pilot is alight. That overrides the cut out. )

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Could it be a dicky thermocouple? This is the device that keeps the gas flowing. It sits in the flame and if it's on the way out the wind might just move the pilot light away and the gas valve shuts. (When you ignite the heater you press the knob down until the pilot is alight. That overrides the cut out. )

It "could" be, that's why a full service is the way to go to rule out such things, or not as the case may be, which is why you need someone who knows the heater to do the service rather than relying on information on a forum, and possibly buying bits and pieces which are not required.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Damian,
This is another example of where you dismiss what I have written.

The issue I related was not something "I may have heard that happened in the dim and distant past." but is a matter of fact.

Whether its relevant to the OP's situation or not neither you nor I can tell, but my experience suggests it might be and it is therefore something to bear in mind.

Hang on a bit !, a bit touchy there.
Where did I mention you?
I said " "I may have heard that happened in the dim and distant past." , I meaning ME, and I have heard a lot in the dim and distant past which is now not much use.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just sitting here and thinking about Colins' problem.
First is the van is a 2011 unit and as far as we know this issue has not been reported previously, so must assume it was working OK.

So, what has changed this year to bring the problem up? the weather !!!

This year has seen much more very severe weather with very strong winds, storm after storm, so to have this blowing out may be just because of that and there is very little to do about it , maybe spend some money on what may well turn out to be useless , or just find more sheltered places to park.

Mar 18, 2020
Visit site
Many thanks to all contributors. It’s been very helpful and I’ve gained a lot. My next step will be to have the fire serviced and will direct the engineer to your suggestions.
I will let you know the outcome but it won’t be until May which is when I have the habitation check done and hopefully the norovirus restrictions will be a little clearer.
take care all and again many thanks. 👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts