Truma Ultraheat electric fire not working.

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
hello to all,
I have an issue with my fire not working on electric. At first I tried not to let it bother me as I don't really want to be using electric hook up, the gas works fine and if I am honest doesn't use that much gas overnight on low, but I have to have it working. We have just done a long weekend and as we used a big site (hangs head in shame) you have to pay for the hook up whether you need it or not and it got me thinking.
Its never worked since we bought the van last year, removing the element and control box there was lots of dust but when cleaned off it doesn't look like its ever been on. I am not sure what model it is as its different to the manual that came with it. It does not have blown heating its just a gas fire with the element behind it, on the top of the outer case is the control and the manual ignition both on the right hand side as you look at the fire.
The control on the outside of the wardrobe has 3 settings, 500w 100w and 2000w, there is a green led that is supposed to come on but that does not work.

I am lead to believe that as the Led runs off 12 volts the first place to look is the control board where the transformer lives. I have changed the transformer today and I still have nothing coming from it no green led or anything, Can anyone point me in the right direction with this.

Daz

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
What year make and model caravan have you?
Did you remove the element without removing the entire fire?
You call it a Truma Ultraheat without a blown air system. Most unusual.
Give us more info and I am sure you will get an answer.

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
Its a 2006 Elddis Autoquest, the manual says ultraheat so I assumed.

I removed it all, the gas fire is still out until I get it sorted

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/new-members-say-hello/52368-truma-heater
Daz
See the above link.
Without doubt your system also has blown warm air. When you pulled it out you must have noticed the fan and air ducts.
Before you started did you check for current continuity from the RCD and the mcb?
Now you have removed the element have you done a continuity check on that?
I am sure my learned forumite Prof John will have a lot more to say so I will leave the stage to him.
Good luck.

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, At first there was no 12 volts out of the transformer, but 230 in, so I went for that,(no green led).
There are readings when I test everything but if I am honest I am not sure what to expect, it seems that there is a lot to it when it only needs a switch like my old fire, wondering on the merits of a rewire and a manual switch.

Daz

ps definitely no blown air no ducts nothing but the fire.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Daz,
All the information I have been able to find suggests that AUtotrail did fit the S3002 Ultraheat which was both gas and mains powered with a 1 12V dc fan and ducting. I am familiar with the gas side of these appliances but the electric side was introduced after I retired so my specifics on the electric side are limited

I think you should look here for the instructions for your heater.

https://www.truma.com/downloadcenter/trumatic_s_3002_5002_operating_de_gb_fr_it_nl_dk_es.pdf
and here for a video:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1m1gwmxHxU
You tell us you have "I removed it all, the gas fire is still out until I get it sorted" and you later tell us "definitely no blown air no ducts nothing but the fire", I'm sorry but this tells me you don't know what you are dealing with and it is really in you and your families best interests to have this sorted professionally. You should be able to find a mobile caravan service man who will be more than able to quickly resolve the issues and reassemble and test the product for operation and safety.

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
Again thanks for the replies guys.

John I can still confirm that yes I have removed it all completely.
My van does not have blown air at all only the fire that is duel fuel, I have today removed the circuit board and re soldered the joints on the transformer, I also removed the consumer unit and found various loose connections within it, it is all back together now and it appears to be working, on all three settings and the gas fire also, and yes I did fit a new "O ring" It would appear that there were two issues from the start, the transformer had gone down on the PCB.That was bench tested away from the van, £3.50 from RS components.
And the bad connection within the consumer unit, it's a wonder the sockets were working. The screw on the breaker was completely loose on two of them.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dazid, it sounds like you are not a "Numpy" as was maybe thought, I will apologise for my thoughts, on that, As for the fire not having duct, I am totally at a loss, Maybe it has been changed for an earlier model and wiring changed. I am interested about RS components, inspection of your transformer unit as I have a burnt out one, that way past my memory old electronics, experiences. Hope all goes well, but remember the Prof will tell you a gas qualified chap will have to recertifie the fitment.
Hutch.

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
I used to be of the same opinion but the last straw was having to refit my central heating boiler that was fitted by a "Gas Safe" fitter who charged my £400 and completely messed up.

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
20150616_165529_1.jpg.html
[/img]

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I've copied and pasted your link (without the extra http://) into my browser and can see your photo. I can also use it to insert here.

20150616_165529_1.jpg

The photo is not showing the control wiring loom, have you disconnected it? If not you and the previous owner did then that is why it doesn't work on electric. ;)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Contraray to all the information I could find, it does seem from the pictures posted this Elddis Autoquest does not have blown air. The clue is the circular port near the top in the back wall which has not been removed.!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From the picture, that's the original 10v transformer and when blown it is almost 100% evident from the top being domed slightly, from what I see it's totally flat so most likely nothing wrong with it?
To be certain, check resistance between the wider apart pair of pins on the input side, you should get just over 2000 ohms.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
gary said:
From the picture, that's the original 10v transformer and when blown it is almost 100% evident from the top being domed slightly, from what I see it's totally flat so most likely nothing wrong with it?
To be certain, check resistance between the wider apart pair of pins on the input side, you should get just over 2000 ohms.

The OP has said he has replaced the transformer and I guess the photo shows the new one?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know but I'll stick, that picture shows the original Truma fitted10v Transformer. I've fixed a board today and the resistance of the tranny on this particular board was 2245 ohms, that meaning it's working and the main point of my post

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts