Trying to buy a caravan in the current climate.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Cutting a long story very short, we have decided after all our problems to cut our losses and buy a new caravan 2022 model. These models are for pre -order so you would think that the ordering would be fairly simple. Is it ever?

I have spent hours haggling today with the two most competitive dealers, only to find the model they are trying to sell me for 2022 will never be made as it has been discontinued. One small dealership had this information, wouldnt you think they all would have.

I was trying to order a Pegasus Grande Rimini as the twin single beds are the most attractive option for us. Confirmed by Bailey, model discontined for 2022. Two dealers managed to give me a part ex and deal price.

So the long story cut short, its probably going to be the Unicorn S5 Cadiz.

Reactions: Jcloughie
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure the dealers will haggle, they will be able to sell all they are allocated on present form and have no need to discount, so they may be asking themselves why bother to. Oddly enough without a trade in it seems harder to get a deal, as many dealers want another caravan to sell on, as they have not enough second hand ones in stock.
Not sure when the dealers get details of next years models but there is probably an embargo on releasing details until a certain date, although I think they could hint if you look at ordering one.
The new Unicorn does look good from what I have seen so far.

Reactions: Dustydog
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Demonstrators for Unicorn S5 will be at the dealers by September, with first stock planned for late Oct early November. They are talking about a delivery turnaround of two to three weeks so late nov early December. That suits us fine as we will get both Wossiefest and our Oct jaunt out of the way in our current van.

As for deals, you are 99% right although I found a dealer not too far away that would do me a cracking deal, also its one of the few dealers with good reviews for both sales and service.

However, due to the issues we had with the panoramic roof and dealer mistake in its repair, we were promised a director level deal if we felt we wanted to change the van, so I am just waiting for that offer to come in before decideding between the two dealers.

Just for the record, I have been offered just £500 less for the current van than I paid for it three years ago, which I am more than happy with, plus a £1000 discount of a 2022 Cadiz. and one or two small sweeteners.

Reactions: JezzerB and Buckman
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We do seem to be almost back to the days when they appreciated. I do remember that after some haggling about 1990 we got £50 more than we paid for it on our Trophy after owning it for five years. The caravan was however a bit different and very light so possibly more attractive second hand, the dealer sold it within two weeks so he was happy.

Reactions: Thingy
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have always bought pre-owned caravans in the past except for one which I bought brand new. The new one is the only caravan I have lost real money on. My mantra has always to been to look for one about 12 months old, most of thre wrinkles ironed out and anything else covered still by manufacturers warranty. It has served me very well in the past, but this time, we are boldly stepping back into the new caravan market.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We do seem to be almost back to the days when they appreciated. I do remember that after some haggling about 1990 we got £50 more than we paid for it on our Trophy after owning it for five years. The caravan was however a bit different and very light so possibly more attractive second hand, the dealer sold it within two weeks so he was happy.
You are right on the mark. I was offered £1000 more for a direct dealer purchase than this time last year. As long as the damp report findings were confirmed and the condition was as reflected in the photos two dealers would have done a bank transfer and pick up the next day. That was within a few minutes of it appearing on Autotrader. The private sale fetched more, but was still agreed and deposited within five hours of the advert appearing.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well as I write, the dirty deal has been done and order placed. Coming from the dealer that I had the repair issues with and they have done me a cracking deal above and beyond to reflect the problems they caused. No issues with my trade in as they know my van intimately.

Expecting delivery around Oct of my van which suits us fine as we have two more trips to get in first, ordered Unicorn Cadiz 2022, extended warranties on both manufacturers and body shell to 6 and 10 years respectively, new self actuating Powrtouch mover.

And I can no longer afford to eat. So the Jacobs table at Woosiefest will have to be replaced by a begging bowl and buddy spoon.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well as I write, the dirty deal has been done and order placed. Coming from the dealer that I had the repair issues with and they have done me a cracking deal above and beyond to reflect the problems they caused. No issues with my trade in as they know my van intimately.

Expecting delivery around Oct of my van which suits us fine as we have two more trips to get in first, ordered Unicorn Cadiz 2022, extended warranties on both manufacturers and body shell to 6 and 10 years respectively, new self actuating Powrtouch mover.

And I can no longer afford to eat. So the Jacobs table at Woosiefest will have to be replaced by a begging bowl and buddy spoon.
Well if you can buy a brand new caravan when you at the pub with the Woosiefest the bill on you what a bit more ;)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Thingy Looks a stunning caravan enjoy when you get it

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Well done Thingy. Also some kudos to the dealership for making good on a promise. I know you had to beat them nearly senseless previously but they got there in the end. Bet you can’t wait.
mel

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Definitely looking forward to it but our next two trips will still be in the Sterling. Perhaps a good thing as the grandgremlins will be with us, one on each trip. We would prefer to try it out with just the two of us.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Definitely looking forward to it but our next two trips will still be in the Sterling. Perhaps a good thing as the grandgremlins will be with us, one on each trip. We would prefer to try it out with just the two of us.
I would be too worried to take the Ster.ing out. CU at the Woosie fest. .

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I would be too worried to take the Ster.ing out. CU at the Woosie fest. .

Not I, its insured new for old. Price of a new Continental (Elegance) much higher than the Bailey Unicorn. Will any of us be able to see at Woosiefest? ;)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
only two trips with your present and then your new caravan will be here to try out enjoy :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts