Turntable Caravan

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
It is certainly possible to produce a turntable caravan and to produce it near the price range of large maximum size/ weight twin axles.

Fifth wheel caravans are being produced at a hefty price tag when you consider they need an adapted large pick up to pull them. Even then the vehicle is somewhat compromised for solo use at the destination.

I have met some motorhome owners who admit to preferring a car and caravan for its flexibility after arriving at a site. They have been put off by the driving experience of towing a caravan and so have bought an expensive motorhome to continue their hobby.

These people spend large sums and could well consider a more stable easier to tow caravan.

I am just surprised that none of the big caravan producers we have in this country has produced a prototype for evaluation.

Perhaps it is because they buy in their chassis and it is only this that would differ on a turntable design.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The steering system and a braking system that would necessarily be more sophisticated would undeniably result in a cost increase over that of a twin axle with a simple overrun brake. Besides, I shudder to think how the majority of owners would perform when reversing such an outfit. Considering the commercial pressures within the industry I frankly I can't see a major manufacturer taking the risk of developing a turntable caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I believe that a wheel at each corner caravan would be a significant improvement over the counter balanced arrangement we tend to have these days. I favour Ackerman steering over a turntable, though a turntable does offer greater manoeuvrability when on site. The trailer will be far less affected by side winds and bow waves from passing vehicles. Hitch loading would be far more predictable.

One of the down sides would be the ability to level the caravan on uneven ground, and the complexity of the steerage and braking systems would need to be more thoroughly checked at service, and would be a greater lever to introduce trailer MOT's.

As for braking systems, most vehicles have the capacity to generate moderate vacuum pressure from existing engines, and that could be used to operate a "vacuum assisted" system of trailer braking.

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I tend to agree with the posts suggesting there may be an increase in stability with a wheel at each corner, but no-one seems to have mentioned what could be a serious disadvantage where much more space would be needed to negotiate tight bends. I.e. the caravan follows the towing vehicle at a significantly tighter radius with a 'front wheel steering' system.

If you look out your old 'Dinky Toys' and try it you will see what I mean - whoops, showing my age again!

Enjoy your holidays.

Trevor M

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
hi trevor m, dont you remember when british rail used these trailors behind small tractors. they pulled quit a few behind them and they followed in exactly the same line as the tralor in front. if the driver went round an obstruction, all the trailors would follow. ray.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
...well spotted Prof!

I wondered if anyone would mention that it would be much harder to level when on site.

You would probably need a levelling system... a jack at each corner as opposed to a steady!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
...well spotted Prof!

I wondered if anyone would mention that it would be much harder to level when on site.

You would probably need a levelling system... a jack at each corner as opposed to a steady!
And that means a stronger chassis will be needed to cope with the torsional loads.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
22335083.jpg

How is this for a first attempt at building one!!!!!!

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Thought I'd try to post on the new website. Seems OK.
As regards to levelling, surely Motor caravanners do it with a wheel at each corner, so why not a Turntable van?

Dave C

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts