TV Antenna External Directional Vs Status 530/5 Directional

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi, the 1995 caravan I bought came with a Status omni-directional (flying saucer) antenna which only gets a good reception when there is a strong signal. I am thinking of upgrading so that I can get good reception on more sites and am considering 2 options which I would appreciate opinions/experiences on:

1. Replace the existing antenna with a Status 530/5 Directional Active UHF-VHF-FM Antenna. I am hoping that I can remove the current antenna, increase the hole as required and have the pole inside the cupboard beneath. I like the idea of being able to raise and orientate the antenna from within the caravan, particularly during the so called English "summer", but don't like/concerned:

a. Price £130.

b. Is the pole long enough or will I still struggle to get reception in many sites (recently the only people to get good reception had antennas on 4 m poles at Corfe Castle).

2. The other option I am looking at is the Grade Image 530/18-2 Vhf/Uhf/Fm Directional Tv Antenna. I already have an external aerial socket and prefer the £26 price tag compared to the Status but can see that it is more hassle to attach/set up. How do those of you with external antennas attach them, to the A-frame or brackets on the side of the caravan?

Appreciate your thoughts, experiences and advice.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Richard

The Status 530/5 aerial is good but I'd consider an outdoor aerial on a mast which will be equally as good but much cheaper and without the hassle of cutting a bigger hole in the caravan roof.

There are various ways to attatch the mast to the awning rail or jockey wheel of your caravan and most accessory shops sell brackets. Have a look at the ones in Towsure :

http://www.towsure.com/category/7028-UHF_Aerial_Masts
There is also the option of a sattelite dish and there are numerous posts with information about them on this forum.

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Richard

The Status 530/5 aerial is good but I'd consider an outdoor aerial on a mast which will be equally as good but much cheaper and without the hassle of cutting a bigger hole in the caravan roof.

There are various ways to attatch the mast to the awning rail or jockey wheel of your caravan and most accessory shops sell brackets. Have a look at the ones in Towsure :

http://www.towsure.com/category/7028-UHF_Aerial_Masts
There is also the option of a sattelite dish and there are numerous posts with information about them on this forum.
Thanks Parksy for the info and link - looks like the external will be best option.

Mar 29, 2004
Visit site
Hi

I did exactly what you want to do earlier this year and it is well worth it. I use it on a digital video recorder in the caravan and have had no reception problems at all. What I would suggest is that then you install the aerial use a blanking disc which you can buy in a caravan shop made specifically to blank off the holes that your waste of space aerial (The flying saucer) uses then fit the new mast through this, It seals the screw holes used by the waste of space aerial and also gives added support on the roof for the new directional Status Aerial.

Also worth having sold by Maplin's is a Digital signal strength meter its only about 12 quid you just plug it in and twiddle the mast and watch the LED's for max signal.

Gary

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Can somebody please tell me about the status 530 which I have on my Bailey.

Do I have to climb up and manually extend the antennas (?) from the edge of the dish? Or are they supposed to be automatic? or for occasional use?

Many thanks

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Scouser Ian,

the two extending aerial rods on the side of the staus 530 is for FM radio reception only, in the two years I've had my van with this aerial fitted I've never had to extend these rods.

Richard,

Its been my experience that anywhere in Dorset, unless the site is on the top of a hill, analogue TV reception is cr*p, thats why I invested in a satelite system for the van, now unless really unlucky to get a pitch under the trees or in the lee of a building, can virtually guarantee reception via the dish.

GeorgeB

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
The Status handbook explains that the 2 extendable rods on the 530 directional aerial are for VHF TV signals not radio. Shouldn't need to use in the UK.

Bill

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I did exactly what you want to do earlier this year and it is well worth it. I use it on a digital video recorder in the caravan and have had no reception problems at all. What I would suggest is that then you install the aerial use a blanking disc which you can buy in a caravan shop made specifically to blank off the holes that your waste of space aerial (The flying saucer) uses then fit the new mast through this, It seals the screw holes used by the waste of space aerial and also gives added support on the roof for the new directional Status Aerial.

Also worth having sold by Maplin's is a Digital signal strength meter its only about 12 quid you just plug it in and twiddle the mast and watch the LED's for max signal.

Gary
Thanks Gary, worth considering and thanks for the advice - definately off to maplins.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts