Tyre Change

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
It has been widely discussed on here over the years about the age of tyres, and when to change. Think the general concensus was/is
five years.
On this basis my tyres are due a change (leaving them sitting there for the winter)
Now this months C&CC magazine tech talk section states this and I quote;
"I would expect any caravan dealer to recommend a tyre change at seven years,
however good the tyres appear from the outside"
I know the safety aspect and peace of mind comes into it but do I change or not?
What do you do?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I change at 6 years from manufacture date. I use Commercil van tyres and they are pumped up when the van is in store, rotated monthly and have covers on. In winter they either come off the van or it is lifted on axle stands.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The tyre industry recommends changing tyres before they become 7 years old - from date of manufacture - given the amount of time that tyres can remain in stock at manufacturer, distributor, caravan maker, caravan dealer before delivery to the end customer, it's generally accepted that changing every 5 years is a good principle.
Personally I replace tyres every 5 years.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It used to be recommended to change tyres at the 5 year stage, but this was increased to 7 years about 3 years ago.
However, it all depends on what state the tyres are in.
If they show any signs of damage, such as cracking between the treads, bulges etc then they should be changed whatever the age of the tyre.
Also, the spare needs to be changed at the same time, when it is 7 years old, even if it has never been used.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
otherclive said:
I change at 6 years from manufacture date. I use Commercil van tyres and they are pumped up when the van is in store, rotated monthly and have covers on. In winter they either come off the van or it is lifted on axle stands.

Problem with doing that is that on many occasions, the tyre is over 1 year old when it is fitted onto a new caravan. I think 7 years is about right. The spare tyre of my previous 4 x 4 had never been used and wa about 15 years old, but looked brand new with no cracks etc, but then it was a premium brand tyre.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I buy commercial van tyres from a distributor that has a high throughput and let them know that they have to be no more than 6 months old. By having a popular make like Vanhawks I've not had any issues with receiving old tyres. I do recognise though that some makes which use less popular sizes or are caravan specific such as Trailermaxx are made in batches and can be quite old when purchased. My spare never goes beyond 7 years despite being regularly sprayed with Armorall.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all your input folks.
Just double checked the date on the tyres 0707 so they will be six years old in Feb, they still look good no cracks or blisters but not going to take a chance, 3 new light truck tyres before the off next year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts