Tyre choice and availability

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Tyres - need new ones before we tow this year. Did some checking on the 'net and it seems that there may be problems sourcing the right size and load index - mine are 195/70 - R14, LI N. (96) Some reviewers say that this size and LI combination is almost impossible to obtain. As yet I have not contacted any companies, but have done a Google check with some of the main suppliers (eg Mytyres etc) and some show not available at this time, for instance GT Kargomax ST6000.

What tyre makes do most of you use?

TIA

Pete

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Take a look here: https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres-195-70-14-96-N/
Plenty of choice.

I've used Tyreleader a few times. They are a large German internet supplier and they have been very good with keen pricing. It's now common practice to fit tyre whose load index is MTPLM+10%. It's not a legal requirement but is seen as good practice. So before ordering 96 LI tyres it might be worth a quick check. I have used both GT Radial Cargomax ST6000, and Kenda Kargo pro and both were quite satisfactory, although Kenda can be more expensive and less easy to source. Because my last Bailey had a MTPLM of 1400kg and its OEM tyres had a max combined load of 1420kg, I upgraded to ST 6000s with 104/102 LI and they didnt shake the van to bits.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have used e tyres. You do need to ring them but they were very good, competitive and come to you.
Because the tyres on a caravan will normally need replacing long before they wear out I have never worried about the make.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I tend to go with recognised makes which have some track record. Some might query my choice of GT Radial ST 6000, or Kenda but both companies have a good history of tyre production in factories owned and managed by them. Whereas some of the less well known make from China are marketed by front companies which source the tyres from a number of other tyre factories, which may or may not have any recognised QA/QS systems. My current ones are Hankook Vantra Light Truck tyres as fitted by Swift Group.

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
I bought a couple of Nankang tyres from Camskill Tyres, Whitehaven.
Two new tyres fitted and one tyre from van transferred as my spare. I have Tyron Bands on my van wheels. Fitted at home by mobile fitter including refitting Tyron Bands. £50

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Same with Other clive, Hankooks, They will do another 5 years and have still fitted my tyrone bands, as I have the mobile kit
Bag or worms opening. :unsure:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts