Tyre Pressure for BMW G31

Jun 5, 2021
Visit site
Hello all. A newbie after some advice please. I have recently purchased a BMW G31 touring to tow our 2019 Bailey Pheonix. I am having real issues with tyre pressures. Fully laden the door pillar label (and I drive) recommends 51 PSI on both front and rear. This is a ridiculous amount of PSI but more importantly that’s 1 more PSI than the tyre allows. So what do I set mine at when towing (with 4 people and full boot). Thanks in advance.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think the BMW G31 is the sporty version,, are the tyres ultra low profile ones, which makes me think the car may not be suitable for towing, Although it might have a tow bar fitted, make sure it is capable to tow.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think the BMW G31 is the sporty version,, are the tyres ultra low profile ones, which makes me think the car may not be suitable for towing, Although it might have a tow bar fitted, make sure it is capable to tow.
Why would the cars instructions include towing tyre pressures if it was not rated to tow?

Unless the OP is not reading teh instructions for his model.

I'm absolutely certain that 50 in stead of 51psi is not going to cause problems.

As close as you can get to the manufacturers specification, without exceeding the tyres limit and then when yo need to change the tyres - make sure you get some that are fully compatible with the cars specification.

But as Hutch does raise the point, do check that your model is actually permitted to tow.

Jun 5, 2021
Visit site
Hey, thanks for your reply. The G31 is just a “tourer” as supposed to the G30 saloon model. Mine does have the 20” wheels on but it’s definitely able to tow as the gross train weight is 4620kg and is stated on the V5.it also has the factory fitted towbar.

Reactions: Hutch
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Should be able to tow 2000kg from what I am reading, I think Hutch may be right, the detail is in the tyres.

Jun 5, 2021
Visit site
Yes spot on. It is certified to tow 2000kg. The wheels are 20” and low profile tyres (due to them being 20” wheels) but the tyres are XL rated so see no reason they are not suited to towing??

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
1 psi is neither here nor there. It will vary by more than that between the cold inflation pressures set at ambient conditions. Many gauges especially those used in electrical tyre inflators have an inaccuracy exceeding 1 psi in 50 psi. Are the tyres OEM?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
1 psi is neither here nor there. It will vary by more than that between the cold inflation pressures set at ambient conditions. Many gauges especially those used in electrical tyre inflators have an inaccuracy exceeding 1 psi in 50 psi. Are the tyres OEM?
If when cold they exceed the maximum pressure which is stamped on the tyre by 1psi which I agree is not a big deal, but when travelling this could increase by another 5psi maybe this could cause an issue? I don't know.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Maximum Tyre pressure marked on the tyre sidewall is the “ cold” inflation pressure and the tyre design would have an allowance for an increase when the car is travelling and the tyres warmed up.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 5, 2021
Visit site
Suggest the OP doesnt get Tyrepal, with those pressures he will be a nervous wreck watching the pressure increase as the tyres warm up. ;)
Too funny. I had them up to 46 at the weekend and stopped at the services when it read 49. Put them back to a more heart friendly 44. Still way to high in my opinion.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Too funny. I had them up to 46 at the weekend and stopped at the services when it read 49. Put them back to a more heart friendly 44. Still way to high in my opinion.
Why change the pressure, you are basically running on underinflated tyres and will increase the temp on the tyre, giving yourself a possibility to overheat your tyres. My caravan runs at 65 psi cold, and will go up by another 6 psi when running hot. And 10 c increase above the ambient temp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts