Tyre Pressures

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
As I've mentioned earlier this is our first van and so it's a very steep learning curve.
I had the need to take it to the dealers last week for some work, and although I went through all the pre-run checks ( so I thought ) it was very quickly clear as we joined the motorway that I hadn't as the back of the car was "bouncing" at the slightest surface deviation and I'd made sure the van wasn't too nose heavy.
It dawned on me that I'd forgotten to change the tyre pressures of the car, and this I did at the services which were just a couple of miles along the journey. After that it handled correctly,,, how many of you have fallen into the same trap I wonder.
I now have a "Pre-flight" laminated check list so I won't be caught out again.

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Tyre pressure on my motor is +2 psi on rear front still normal.

Normally I don't bother with the rear and leave it at normal with no problems, on either motorway or A/B roads.

Trevor

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Pensioner
You did the right thing.
If the outfit doesn't feel comfortable the immediate cause can be tyre pressure or wrong nose weight.
Well done for the action you took and the reminder on here.
A lot of us are fitting tyre pressure reading systems which monitor both car and caravan tyre presdures throughout every journey. Such systems on new cars are now mandatory on new EU vehicles.
Sir Sprocket will give some suggestions. He has a good system.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Dustydog,,,the drawbacks of having an older car I suppose,,I just can't keep up with the latest technology.

I understand there are now mobile phones that take photos as well,,,what ever next.!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Trevormc said:
Tyre pressure on my motor is +2 psi on rear front still normal.

Normally I don't bother with the rear and leave it at normal with no problems, on either motorway or A/B roads.

Trevor

Hello Trevor,
That may well be fine for your particular outfit, but if you change any aspect of your outfit ( e.g car or caravan or a significant change in the way you load either) then the same may not be true. Its wise to take heed of the recommended pressure changes the car manufacture suggests to cope with the additional weight and towing loads.

Whilst the caravan only adds its nose weight to the cars weight, the load on the car tyres may not be to dissimilar to a fully loaded solo car, but particularly under acceleration the driven tyres do experience much greater dynamic stresses in the tread and side walls as you are trying to overcome the inertia caused by the additional mass of the whole caravan, and the tyres need more air pressure support to cope with stresses.

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello, this is Stacie on the Practical Caravan team. I think you have raised a very good point with this topic and would like to use it as a short letter in the magazine if you don't mind? If so could we also have your 'real name' to publish please pensioner.
Thank-you, Stacie

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Pensioner
You did the right thing.
If the outfit doesn't feel comfortable the immediate cause can be tyre pressure or wrong nose weight.
Well done for the action you took and the reminder on here.
A lot of us are fitting tyre pressure reading systems which monitor both car and caravan tyre presdures throughout every journey. Such systems on new cars are now mandatory on new EU vehicles.
Sir Sprocket will give some suggestions. He has a good system.

Hello Pensioner.

The system that i use is made by Tyrepal I have had mine since 2011 ( there is a newer version out now ) and when the van is coupled to the truck the Tyrepal is sat on the dash giving a live read out of the tyre pressures and temperatures whilst driving.
The photos below are when the tyre sensors were fitted to the truck.

Blackberry178_zpscae87e51.jpg
Blackberry180_zpsd3d5b30b.jpg

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Prof

The stress on the tyres on my motor should match out all round being a 4 wheel drive, loading is usually the same on each trip.

Trevor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi Stacie,,I hope I'm not being presumptuous when I take it you're referring to me,the originator of the topic.

Mike Coverdale,,Great Sutton,Nr Chester,,age 70 and FIRST ever caravan.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
pensioner said:
Hi Stacie,,I hope I'm not being presumptuous when I take it you're referring to me,the originator of the topic.

Mike Coverdale,,Great Sutton,Nr Chester,,age 70 and FIRST ever caravan.

Well done on your first van Mike I salute you.

04f94ea6.gif

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Check what your car handbook says in the towing section, for my car when towing tyre pressures need to be increased for a full load which is:
solo / light load 32psi all round
full load / towing 35psi front, 44psi rear.

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi Mike,
I was indeed referring to you. Thanks very much for getting back to me.
I am going to use the post as a letter in the next issue if that's OK? Congratulations by the way on entering the world of caravanning, never to old to learn! I hope it's all going well dispute this hiccup.
Best wishes, Stacie

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Iike you have only taken up caravanning recently, I have always taken care to ensure my pressures were correct. Wish I could say the same about the unhitching process, as I thought I had done it correctly until I pulled away and found I ripped my electrics from the car. What a job I had reconnecting the wires in the correct connections. Testing the brake lights I found my indicators flashing or headlights and 4 ways flashed. I got there in the end but all trial and error. After the brake going on and the jockey wheel going down the next thing I insist is disconnecting the electrics. Happy Caravanning

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi All, Using the same topic rather than start a new.

We are using our van shortly and I was checking the van after being stored for 3 months. Just one of many checks was to check the tyre pressures. Running tryes had dropped by a few Psi (van stored on axle stands). When I release the spare from it's carrier " IT WAS FLAT". After pumping it up all seemed ok............Accept for a hissing sound :eek:hmy: I thought it had a puncture until I took off the pump, the hissing became worse. :woohoo:

It became apparent that some how the valve had been damage (split at the base). I had it replaced at the local tyre fitting centre; job done.

"Don't forget the spare" ;)

TRENDING THREADS