Tyres, Old vs New

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On my Santa Fe, I have all season Nokian weatherproof tyres, front 3 mm and rears at 4mm.
I am thinking of changing to Hankook Ventus Evo 2, OR Dunlop Eagle F1 assymetric tyres.

Now do I change now, when the summer tyres are slighly cheaper than in 4 months time,, or do I hope we have a mild winter and my tyres will last very well, I travel about 750 miles a month, and will hope to tow from now over to March with the caravan, maybe 200 miles. per month.
Its just something to think about.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
On my Santa Fe, I have all season Nokian weatherproof tyres, front 3 mm and rears at 4mm.
I am thinking of changing to Hankook Ventus Evo 2, OR Dunlop Eagle F1 assymetric tyres.

Now do I change now, when the summer tyres are slighly cheaper than in 4 months time,, or do I hope we have a mild winter and my tyres will last very well, I travel about 750 miles a month, and will hope to tow from now over to March with the caravan, maybe 200 miles. per month.
Its just something to think about.
I would changed now, Newer tread will serve you better than tyres that are near the end of thire useful life.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For safety I would change them now. I always change at 3mm or just before it reaches 3mm, but I have a 4x4. I have found National tyres to do the best deals if buying more than one tyre.
We have never seen so many squirrels around recently, but not sure if we are seeing the same few or their numbers have increased. Generally a lot of squirrel activity indicates a bad winter and IMHO I think we are in for a bad winter. We will need to wait and see.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Buy now and fit later, or get a set of rims and have them fitted with the new tyres and change them over when it appropriate.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Given you don't really do that many miles I would change them before winter and get the benefit of deeper tread depth for wet weather. Although the ones mentioned don't look like All Seasons so may not be great in snow, or even wettish CLs. Ive had All Seasons now on cars for 10 years, and the Subaru has Bridgestone's which are designed foe wet and cold conditions, have the snowflake symbols but would not be as good as your Nokians in snow. But being retired I can choose when I go out, apart from when the "clan" demand my services. My wife car doesn't have All seasons on it as it had new tyres when she bought it. But next Autumn I will be fitting it with Michelin All Season Cross Climates.

I have found Black Circles cheaper than ATS, Kwik Fit, or National Tyres, with greater choice. Pneus online no longer supply to Britain post 1 January this year.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Yes my fitter always puts the new tyres on the back axle?? For better gip, he says, he's the man who knows, so I bow to his experience and accept it. Motors a front wheel drive.
Well ! Logic says fit new tyres to the front ,older tyres to the rear .
which ever way you look at it , the front wheels or tyres are the ones that you steer with and brake with generally 70 % plus force is required by the front wheels and only 30 % at the rear . Suggest you fitter is just a fitter . Not the man who knows !
Tyres start degrading dramatically when they wear past 4mm with the rubber going hard and not shifting water as good .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
which ever way you look at it , the front wheels or tyres are the ones that you steer with and brake with generally 70 % plus force is required by the front wheels and only 30 % at the rear . Suggest you fitter is just a fitter . Not the man who knows !
Tyres start degrading dramatically when they wear past 4mm with the rubber going hard and not shifting water as good .
There is an alternative logic, The biggest problem for most normal drivers is over steer, where the rear of the car beaks away sooner than the front. Its well established that drivers will more naturally react in the correct way to understeer than over steer.

Its therefore more sensible to have any tyres with better grip on the rear.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Logic fails in this case. It’s recommended that the better or new tyres go on the rear irrespective of rwd or fwd. It’s necessary to consider weight transfer under braking and steering. Hers a link to Uniroyal a Continental Tyre sub brand. and Kumho

https://www.uniroyal-tyres.com/car/...nging,Take note of the direction of the tyres.

Kumho advice

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB and DaveA1
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well my hankook tyres have been on since 2018
When checked in January 2022
rear tyres 5.7mm..
front tyres 4.3mm ..
Going to have them check at the front in case i need some new ones next week .

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts