Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What size and load index are your tyres. It would affect recommendation. I always use good quality tyres and have found Hankook to be satisfactory and not too expensive. But really any decent quality that meets your caravan’s specifications would be satisfactory.

Jul 14, 2021
Visit site
What size and load index are your tyres. It would affect recommendation. I always use good quality tyres and have found Hankook to be satisfactory and not too expensive. But really any decent quality that meets your caravan’s specifications would be satisfactory.
The tyre size is 175/65 R14 86T

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The tyre size is 175/65 R14 86T
Here’s a company I use for all the families tyres. Excellent service and good fitting centres. With a quick turnover I never had tyres older than six months, often much newer. That’s also a reason I chose Hankooks as being popular the turnover is quick. You have a wide choice of makes and speed index won’t be an issue as you can go T rated or higher. What tyres are in the caravan at present.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had Hankooks on our Lunar and will not fit them on any of our cars or caravans as I am very wary of them. However it is up to the individual.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We had Hankooks on our Lunar and will not fit them on any of our cars or caravans as I am very wary of them. However it is up to the individual.
What makes you wary of Hankooks, they are original equipment fit on many cars trucks and caravans.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If they are good enough as original fit on Mercedes cars they will do me. Never had any issues whatsoever with Hankooks, and they routinely feature in the higher spots on tyre tests.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What makes you wary of Hankooks, they are original equipment fit on many cars trucks and caravans.

They have been the only tyres that we have had issues with like cracking and a blow out despite the tyre pressure checked before setting out on our journey. We had to replace all 4 tyres within less than 4 years. If I remember correctly the date on the tyres was 3-4 years prior to the date of manufacture for caravan. As said, my choice and prefer to stick to other well know brands except Dunlop.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have used Blackcircles home service without problem. I tend to avoid having to visit tyre dealers as the premises tend to be very tight and not suitable for caravans particularly twin axle models.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They have been the only tyres that we have had issues with like cracking and a blow out despite the tyre pressure checked before setting out on our journey. We had to replace all 4 tyres within less than 4 years. If I remember correctly the date on the tyres was 3-4 years prior to the date of manufacture for caravan. As said, my choice and prefer to stick to other well know brands except Dunlop.
You had old tyres then?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
That sounds like the problem was fitting "old"tyres to a caravan which were then 7-8 years old when you discovered issues - quite possible with any brand.

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
I was told the caravan tyres need to replaced when the tyre is five years old, this is mainly due to the amount of inactivity that most of these tyre subject to. I would and do always buy the recommended size of tyre, and the best I can afford, which is usually a named brand, why skimp on a few quid when you could have 30K van behind you.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I was told the caravan tyres need to replaced when the tyre is five years old, this is mainly due to the amount of inactivity that most of these tyre subject to. I would and do always buy the recommended size of tyre, and the best I can afford, which is usually a named brand, why skimp on a few quid when you could have 30K van behind you.
I totally agree, and Hankook tyres are a well known Brand of tyre.

Jul 14, 2021
Visit site
Here’s a company I use for all the families tyres. Excellent service and good fitting centres. With a quick turnover I never had tyres older than six months, often much newer. That’s also a reason I chose Hankooks as being popular the turnover is quick. You have a wide choice of makes and speed index won’t be an issue as you can go T rated or higher. What tyres are in the caravan at present.

The present tyres are Aurora K706
Many Thanks

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That sounds like the problem was fitting "old"tyres to a caravan which were then 7-8 years old when you discovered issues - quite possible with any brand.
At the time of purchase I never thought to check the manufacture date of the tyres. On more recent caravans I made sure I did check and they were all within 6 months of build.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well my Tiguan is nearly five years old still got the same Hankooks tyres since new and so far not one blow out (touch wood) so i am very happy with them .

Jan 6, 2019
Visit site
What is the max permissable vehicle weight of your caravan, and if you can find it max permissable axleloads.

The service descriptions 86T means maxload 530kg/1168 lbs a tire so would cover legaly an MPAW of 1060kg/2336lbs.
But better is a reserve of minimal 10%.

This tyre is most likely a standard load normal cartyre. So if poor reserve, its better to switch to XL/ reinforced/extraload with 3 loadindex steps higher.
Will google the size, if SL or XL.

Edit: googled and found also 82 loadindex in this sise, so your 86 LI is an XL, wich is allowed to carrie the 530 kg AT 2.9bar/ 42psi upto 160kmph//99mph.
Max cold pressure can be between 44 and 51 psi.

But check this on sidewall.

So if this gives poor reserve, you need 6 plyrated C-tyre.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch
Jul 14, 2021
Visit site
What is the max permissable vehicle weight of your caravan, and if you can find it max permissable axleloads.

The service descriptions 86T means maxload 530kg/1168 lbs a tire so would cover legaly an MPAW of 1060kg/2336lbs.

This tyre is most likely a standard load normal cartyre. So if poor reserve, its better to switch to XL/ reinforced/extraload with 3 loadindex steps higher.

Edit: googled and found also 82 loadindex in this sise, so your 86 LI is an XL, wich is allowed to carrie the 530 kg AT 2.9bar/ 42psi upto 160kmph//99mph.

Many Thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

This caravan on the thread is a twin axle. Why not just fit the makers specified tyres? They already have a margin for load and speed designed in as a primary feature of their design. If the OP goes three load index steps higher the caravan may suffer a stiffer ride that could cause damage. Four LI 86 tyres give a total load carrying ability of 2120kg. Wonder what the MTPLM of the caravan is?

Reactions: RogerL
Jan 6, 2019
Visit site
Lets wait what topicstarter comes up with.
Mayby comfortable reserve with these tyres.
But caravanmakers sometimes use tyres yust legaly enaugh, and then an upgrade is advicable.

If final tyres are found, I can make a pressure/totalweight-list for them with maximum reserve,and still no screws trembling loose.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts